Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2d2b02b12cc9bcc194bbb796f02e83ceMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Philippine Chewie - A Slooooowww Budget build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omel (Rommel)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Still no additional work done on the costume, but have started on the Bowcaster, hopefully this gets me motivated to work on the suit soonest.

here are some pics of what i did this weekend.

started by making a template using a file found online (credit to the owner)

transferred to EVA foam and made a rough stock base..

Scratch building a Single Point Scope from an old small flashlight and fome items scrounged from the storeroom..

trying to see if scale of the scope is ok, also made the sideplates and rough layout of the knobs...

checking out if the bow looks ok ( made from layered illustration board).. will scrounge for christmas balls for the polarizers, haha

an old curtain rod ( cut to size) serves as the barrel...

roughing out the barrel support and front sight/bowstring catch..

approxmimate length is about 28 inches..

soon as the basic parts are complete, shall proceed to improve the details and refine everything..

again, comments, suggestions and constructive criticism are highly welcomed.

thanks for looking.

* will move this to weaponry once done.
Bacca9 (Jamie)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember building my first bowcaster. Lots of fun! Great work so far!

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
omel (Rommel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacca9 wrote:
I remember building my first bowcaster. Lots of fun! Great work so far!

Thanks! have started to apply the epoxy clay to the stock ( i prefer it over bondo since i can handle it by hand and shape by wet fingers ) it will also strengthen it structurally, hope to finish and and let it set properly so i can start sanding it smooth before the pair of side scopes and scope mounts i ordered arrive. initial photos suggests that the construction is relatively simple, but as you study it more...there are intricacies and details that i hope i can replicate properly despite the "budget" theme, hahaha, i really hope this turns out fine so it motivates my lazy arse to start working on the suit again. no luck so far sourcing the correct "gray " hair extensions locally, only plain white and plain black available so far...
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bowcaster looks awesome! I love watching your build!
Dewkazza - Wookiee Elder (Generic)
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
Grand Moff Tarkin (ID-91919)
Tie Pilot Reserve (TI-91919)
Bridge Crew: Engineer (IC-91919)
omel (Rommel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Bowcaster Reply with quote

Hi everyone, have created a new thread for the continuation of my Bowcaster build over at weaponry...cheers
omel (Rommel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Dyeing hair?? Reply with quote

Hi all, my bowcaster is progressing quite nicely, ( sanding the stock and applying more epoxy clay where needed) have renewed motivation to complete my Chewie, am currently fabricating the Satchel as well. quick question to anyone who might know. does Kanekalon/alternative synthetic hair take "Dye" ok? seems i might just purchase white hair and attempt to color it gray. thanks!
Bouli ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love those toes! How did you make them?
The Wookiee Workshop ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The anal retentive person in me cringes when I see things like this done. I have to get things to exacting detail.

However the prop builder in me is super impressed with what you have done so far and has to bow his head for very awesome get arounds to achieve the look.
omel (Rommel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: ikr Reply with quote

The Wookiee Workshop wrote:
The anal retentive person in me cringes when I see things like this done. I have to get things to exacting detail.

However the prop builder in me is super impressed with what you have done so far and has to bow his head for very awesome get arounds to achieve the look.

hahaha, i get where you're coming from, budget scratch builds will not get to exacting details for sure, but i try my darndest to make it look as good as the budget and materials will allow, my wife indulges this part time hobby of mine ( she knows it relieves my stress from daily work routine Wink ), and also because she is aware i dont really spend amounts hard to justify to non fans. plus i only work on it on free time ( family time will always come first). hence the length of time spent on most my scratch builds are pretty short but loooong and far in between, another reason why motivation sometimes wane. your Chewie stuff is to die for and would love to someday be allowed to purchase by the wifey. cheers and "mabuhay"
omel (Rommel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: toes Reply with quote

Bouli wrote:
Love those toes! How did you make them?

thanks, those toes are actually newspaper rolled tightly into appropriate sized spheres wrapped with masking tape. they were then hot glued/ and silicone to the proper location then covered with epoxy clay, the toenails are plastic spoons cut to the shape deemed ok. Wink
omel (Rommel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

Have pulled out the feet/stilts from storage and completed hair attachment to the right foot..

have begun on the other foot..

while i'm at it would like to show how i actually attach the hair;

i cut off some hair from #27 and the reddish brown in approximatelt 70-30 ratio..

it's then blended by hand...

rubber cement is the applied to target location...

using this...

blended hair is attached...

then spread out so it wont be bulky, then trimmed to desired lengths at a bias cut so it blends more seamlessly to previously attached hair

i know there is a better and more efficient way to do it, but for now, it's how i do it.

once both are finished will proceed to latch hooking hair unto the mesh suit.

Happy Easter everyone.

Cheers
omel (Rommel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Hair attachment to the other foot has given way again to a different project ( Jack sparrow is showng May 24 so some adjustments to the costume being done...harhar)...anyway...i bit the bullet on the satchel/pouch and had it commissioned, supplied refrerence photos and this is what was done... its real leather and only cost 50 dollars..it came out pretty well and i know it looks brand spanking new, so weathering it is in order..., work on Chewie will resume after Salazar's Revenge/DMTNT. again...comments and suggestions are always welcomed, cheers to all.

omel (Rommel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photobucket sucks bigtime!!! all my WIP pics cannot be seen now! have created an IMGUR account so will be posting progress photos from it soon
omel (Rommel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Needing motivation to work on my build again... did initial weathering to the pouch and attached it to the Bandolier to check proportion againt myself with the feet/stilts on.

Put on the unfinished mask and held the Bowcaster to get a sense of accomplishment...nyahaha.

please excuse the messy room.

omel (Rommel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few centimeters going up every once in a while is better than not getting anything done at all i suppose... patience,patience,patience..hehe ( photo with and without flash,,,color changes considerably), will have to step up if i want to start on the pants...wishful thinking that i can get this done before The Last Jedi..haha

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: