Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=66879c07c4c29756408613f94e872014Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Lightbaber Colours
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theclassylass ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Lightbaber Colours Reply with quote

Hey everyone! Bit of a silly question but I was just curious how everyone went about choosing the colour for their saber? How did you base your choice? Looking into getting my first lightsaber and stuck on which colour Razz
rlobrecht ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Wookiepedia

Quote:
Around 4000 BBY, lightsaber crystals were used to indicate a Jedi's chosen class. Blue indicated a Jedi Guardian, a Jedi who used the Force on a more physical level. Green indicated a Jedi Consular, a Jedi who preferred to reflect on the mysteries of the Force and fight the dark side at its heart. Yellow indicated a Jedi Sentinel, a Jedi who honed their skills in a balance of combat and scholarly pursuits.
Fonzeroth (Justin Mashburn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but literally the next thing in that same article talks about color being a personal choice.
Quote:
This distinction fell out of practice in later years when most Jedi used blue or green crystals from Ilum Caves based on personal choice, and then the use of crystals coming from various source worlds became marginal. Purple, yellow, and orange crystals were still used by some Jedi until the fall of the Jedi Order, but they were exceedingly rare, and often passed down through generations.

I am still working on my costume, and have yet to purchase a lightsaber, but I know I want green for two reasons:
1. Most of my favorite Jedi use green
2. I like the way green light accents the costume better than blue.
BedlamX (Tommy Sutton)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest going the way of Fonzeroth: choose a color you like and one that looks good with the costume you are making. Most people will have no clue what the colors "mean" (other than red being Sithy). They just see the cool costume with a lightsaber. Might as well go for the old "Nando" adage:

"It is better to look good that to feel good." Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXydX9p_ZxA&nohtml5=False

Judicial Officer-Mandalorian Mercs
Nes'ari (membership officer)-The Dark Empire
Ky'cilia Solari ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see my Jedi as a somewhat Grey Jedi and will have a white blade but will also (eventually) be able to switch it for a blue one. I love the way the white blade looks and blue is one of my favorite colors.
Wolfen (Adam)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long before Mace Windu ever unleashed his saber in Episode II I always thought a purple lightsaber would be awesome. That's why my first custom saber, and most of the others I have acquired since, was purple.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"-Ben Franklin
theclassylass ()

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone really appreciate your help Very Happy Very Happy
Crake Lisgo (Kenny Crawford)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first saber was purple, simply because I used to have a Star Wars RPG character - twenty odd years ago, that had a purple saber.
This turned out quite useful as I later bought a photon blade from Vaders vault, which turns the blue LED (in the purple) into Green, which is a nice effect. Also have a blue day blade which shines blue with the purple LED. So.. one LED gives me a choice of three colours :-)

If (let's be honest, when) I get a new saber, it will be RGB - so I can have whatever colour I happen to fancy on a given day.
Wolfen (Adam)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crake Lisgo wrote:
My first saber was purple, simply because I used to have a Star Wars RPG character - twenty odd years ago, that had a purple saber.
This turned out quite useful as I later bought a photon blade from Vaders vault, which turns the blue LED (in the purple) into Green, which is a nice effect. Also have a blue day blade which shines blue with the purple LED. So.. one LED gives me a choice of three colours :-)

If (let's be honest, when) I get a new saber, it will be RGB - so I can have whatever colour I happen to fancy on a given day.

Hooray for photon blades! I do the same with my purple.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"-Ben Franklin
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I had chosen my color before the whole yellow/ blue/ green meanings came out in terms of the Legends material, I chose green because Lukes saber from EP6 was always my favorite, it was so bright and always sounds so powerful when it turns on/
Lupus ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am still working to get a costume, I already own three sabers. Two orange and, well, the blue Anakin saber. Personally I have a fond touch for orange sabers. They are uncommon in a way and also a bit more less "light". I like the idea of a more greyish Jedi, with a shiny outlook but some touch showing an inner turmoil maybe. After all being a guardian who has to fight evil one looks and sees a lot into dark side. Like the saying from Nietzsche about gazing too long into an abyss.

Still I think the next saber will become an RGB saber to switch color to whatever looks good.
JohnstonMR (Michael Johnston)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My costume isn't done yet, but my saber is on order from VV. I went with the RGB option so that I can change if/when I want, in case I make more costumes that need a different color (I doubt I'll be able to justify new hilts any time soon).

Mostly, I'll use blue blades for RL, because blue is my favorite color, and my costume is based on my favorite RPG Character, who used blue.
carmekino (Rebecca Loughry)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently in the beginning stages (meaning I'm about to pick out a sweet color scheme) and am buying my saber off my ex-husband. It has the software to change the color and sounds. I can't wait!!!! Can we do color change lightsabers?
mykejr ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGB, RGBW or RGBA all the way so you can mix colors as you see fit Smile
Amakneum (Luis)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: I use the yellow or amber color saber. Reply with quote

Briefly I can explain it as a role playing your character. I use the amber or yellow color saber. The reason for it is because my favorite class is Jedi Sentinel. Sentinel class is basically more close to my personality and kind of life style or interest in many areas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: