Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ddc17e6e962c96c289e4e8f1fe42b19bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Best pants pattern or slacks style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheOutcast (Sean Ackerson)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Best pants pattern or slacks style Reply with quote

I am looking at getting my hands on some fabric this weekend before clocking in for work. The Walmart I work at is having a sale on fabric to clear out the old stuff for the new after our remodel is done. My question is is it better to just get a pair of slacks and tailor them to tuck into the boots? Or should I check to see if my store has a particular pattern set to use for the pants for a generic Jedi? And if so which pattern set number should look for? I have three pattern sets from Simplicity but none of them have a pants pattern included.

The pattern sets I have are 4450, 5840 and 9887 (cloaks).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the fabric I found that I thought would be good for my upper pieces, only paid $9.95 for it. It's two inches short of being 10 yards. Thoughts?

kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure blue denim (is that what that is?) is ok for Jedi.

I could be wrong, but I would be surprised if it's ok.

Han Solo, OTOH... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to check the label on the bolt. I am going to buy a bottle of bleach when I get off work and see how well it takes the color out and then see if I can dye it a dark brown or gray. I did get a nice textured knit that isn't very stretchy that I want to see how well it takes a dye as well.

Update:
I got home and checked the one material (of which I bought the whole 10 yard bolt) it is not denim as it is a bit thinner then any pairs of blue jeans I currently own. It's also a lighter weight material then even my work pants. The side that is facing out on the bolt is the lighter color and is what drew me to it. The bolts for the two don't give me much information on what they are. Both say wash in cold water and no chlorine bleach. The denim looking material say to line dry. The textured material says to dry on low and remove before fully dry. I'm attaching a pic of both materials so you can see.

I would appreciate any of the costume judges thoughts on the materials I was able to get. I have time before I'll be able to afford a sewing machine and enough other supplies for making the top parts. A link to my Costume Materials folder on DA is in my sig.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit hard to see, but the blue appears to be a herringbone weave, and from your description I'd guess it's either a cotton-linen blend or linen-wool blend. I've seen similar fine linen-wool blends in herringbone weave and those materials definitely do not do heat. I'm guessing it is soft to the touch.

I've haven't seen a jedi with herringbone weaved pants before, but I don't think there is any rule against it as long as the color is uniform.

Blue can work, but it will greatly depend on what you pair it with. Dark blue, grey, or black should work.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "denim" like material is soft to a rubbing touch on the dark side while a little on the coarse side when gently rubbed for the light side. My Deviant Art page has the pictures. I hope these pictures are a bit clearer on the look of the "denim" like material and the textured material (which has been through a test dye run). I'm thinking that I will remove as much blue from it as I can and then dye it a grayish color.

What pattern pack should I look for in regards to the pants? I have the old Simplicity 4450 pattern package for the top pieces that I need to grade up a size or three for my height and build. Going to also do the grading up for a co-worker who is roughly my height but a bit stockier then I am.

Also if the this thread is in the wrong section please move it to where it belongs and I apologize for posting it in the wrong section.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You basically need a simple and loose pants pattern, that's it. No fancy stuff. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: