Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c749bbb56b95c52dd89328df55d88ebeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ahsoka Tano WIP CW S3-5
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snips_Ire ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Ahsoka Tano WIP CW S3-5 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been working on my Ahsoka Tano CW S3-5 since April. I have a WIP thread on the Irish 501st/RL forum, but thought it be good to do one here as well.

I'm currently at about 80% completion. I've made everything myself, mainly hand sewing the leather parts and I made the headpiece using the Jedimanda tutorial.

The headpiece was definitely the most difficult part to make, but a lot of fun.

To start I'll go through the materials I've used and what reference photos I've used too.

Headpiece: Upholstery foam, lycra, latex and paint.
Headpiece jewellery: Card, paper mache, loads of primer and sanding, email paint
Beads: Still to do.

Tunic: Bought faux suede dress online and made major alterations. I think the tunic is real suede, however it would be impossible to wear such a tunic without any stretch in it (the problems of doing a cartoon character). So in my opinion next best option is faux suede. I know some people have used the Disney version as a reference but I'm not a fan of parts of that costume, specifically the tunic material. I'll discuss that more later.

Boots: Got a pair of leather boots on Ebay. They're patent so need to be distressed to match boot spats.

Gauntlets & boot spats: Bought a second hand long leather coat on Ebay and took it apart using the parts for all the leather pieces.

Arm bands: This might be controversial but I've used leather. Will discuss this later too.

Gloves: Using the suede back of the leather coat for the gloves so they're exactly the same colour as gauntlets but different material.

Elbow guard: Still to do, will use dark brown material.

Buckles: Made them out of air-drying clay, and lots of sanding and priming (not finished yet)

Leggings: First item I finished. Already had a pair of grey leggings so easy to do with interfacing and hand sewing.

Necklace: Got a chain/choker (can't remember what it's called) on Ebay and have made the diamond shape out of the same clay as the buckles.

Belt: Still to do, have got tan coloured vinyl for belts and pouch and have bought covertecs and food capsules. Hoping to get a real leather belt later when my finances have recovered.

Tabard: Still to do, have bought lilac faux suede and will get a Sharpie to draw on the pattern. Might consider embroidering it later on, or do leatherwork.

Ok, will post some pictures now and discuss more later.

(just realised I can't post photos in threads on this forum so will set up a site and get back with pics in a while)
Snips_Ire ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are all my progress pics so far:

[img]

[/img]

Leggings with interfacing

[img][/img]

Card triangle of headpiece jewellry

Headpiece progress pics:

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Snips_Ire ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to make sure those photos posted properly before continuing.

So here's more:

Here's the tunic after alterations.

And another pic

Finished leggings.

Gauntlets cut out with interfacing

Finished gauntlet (except buckles)

And another pic

Gauntlets and arm bands. I made my armbands out of leather. I think it's clear in the reference photos that the arm bands are leather (same as gauntlets) not fabric.
Snips_Ire ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still working on the buckles. Made them out of air drying clay. I made a pattern beforehand 3cmx3cm with 2 deep lines and 2 shallow lines cut into them. I'm working on the painting and sanding atm.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent progress. Smile

I'm a bit worried about the thickness of your headpiece over your forehead. How will you get a smooth transition between that and your own skin? I hope you already have a plan for that.

The dress also doesn't seem to be entirely fitted to you and seems to have a mini skirt?

Overall, it is going well, just wanted to ask you about those things so you don't run into problems at the end.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Past (Audrey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good progres so far!

I believe you could possibly hide the gap between your forehead and the headpiece with the jewels... It's hard to judge the tickness from the picture you posted, but it is a possibility! I know for the rebels version people (as well as myself) have used the diadem to hide any seams between the headpiece and the forehead successfully. Just make sure the jewels really stick to your forehead without any gap!

The armbands are a neverending debate... they seem to be of a different material than the dress in a lot of actual show screenshots, and the wethering on them does look closer to leather than suede:

However I would argue they are of a different leather than the gauntlets: the gauntlets are relatively thick, while the armbands seem to be flush on the skin.

Both the Disney version and Ashley Eckstein's cosplay have used the same fabric as the dress with orange fabric that matches the skin to fill the gap between each of them so they would stay in place... So again, the accuracy of these is arguable.

Of course this is all details (and not even in the proposed standards.) overall I really like the look of your armbands so far!

Keep up the good work!
Snips_Ire ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Excellent progress. Smile

I'm a bit worried about the thickness of your headpiece over your forehead. How will you get a smooth transition between that and your own skin? I hope you already have a plan for that.

The dress also doesn't seem to be entirely fitted to you and seems to have a mini skirt?

Overall, it is going well, just wanted to ask you about those things so you don't run into problems at the end.

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah the transition between headpiece and forehead will be covered by the jewellry pieces. I'm just finished painting them so have to glue them on now.

The dress has been one of the most difficult parts to make. It's impossible to buy moleskin here (or online except in the US) so I had to buy a faux suede dress online which I had alterred in an alterations place. Unfortunately they took off too much from the bottom of the dress which meant that I had to sew a bit back on. (and I paid them €65 for it!) I will probably need to take it in a bit more as well cos it's a bit loose as you said.

I have used interfacing to stiffen the leather for the gauntlets and bootspats but obviously didn't for the arm bands so that makes them softer. Also the gloves and elbow guards help stiffen the gauntlets.

Haven't done any distressing of any of the parts yet so that should help to make them all look more accurate and match the reference pictures.

And thanks for your encouragement, it's a hard costume to do so it's good to hear that people like it! Smile
Snips_Ire ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another addition on the dress: I tried to get faux suede fabric to sew the dress instead of moleskin. I got two fabric samples from the UK of faux suede upholstery fabric, but there was no stretch in that fabric so would have required a zip and the colour wasn't right either. I must have spent 2 full days trawling through the internet with no success with fabrics. Hence why I chose to buy the dress instead cos at least it had stretch in it.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding the right fabric in the right color can be a challenge. I know I myself as well as others have sometimes scoured worldwide for the right fabric.

Good luck with it.

ardavenport (Anne Davenport)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really coming along. I was wondering about the headpiece .... you have listed latex and paint. What kind of latex and paint did you use and where did you get them?

Your focus determines who you are.
Snips_Ire ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ardavenport wrote:
It's really coming along. I was wondering about the headpiece .... you have listed latex and paint. What kind of latex and paint did you use and where did you get them?

Thanks, really close to submitting now. Excited!

I just bought liquid latex in the arts supply shop (1 litre for about 20euros) and then used acrylic paint mixed with the latex (about 50/50) for the white and blue. I also got liquid latex thickener which I used after about 5 thin layers to really cover the seams.
The reason why I mixed the paint with latex was to stop it cracking and make it more waterproof (necessary if you live in Ireland )

It was all based on jedimanda's Youtube tutorial, which is just amazing!
Snips_Ire ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished! Attended MCM Comic-con Belfast today as Ahsoka!

Snips_Ire ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have to make a new headpiece for approval. The previous one was too big.

To get the measurements correct this time I made a little plan by photoshopping my own head into the headpiece and then took measurements from that.

I once again drew out the shapes on card and then cut out in foam. I've sewed a fair bit of it together and have noticed some issues:

1. The bottom tips are uneven. Gonna open them back up and add new tips, they're also a bit short so will add some extra length to.

2. The top points are too small. Same here, gonna add two points to the top.

Otherwise I think it's pretty good, but what happened to me before was that I became blind to the problems so would be great to get some feedback here.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit hard to tell since I can see the two sides are not really closed together, but it's does look like you're getting there. Can you get the front flat? Right now it's sticking out, but again, it's not fully closed on top so it does sit differently because of it.

Snips_Ire ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few new pic's of the headpiece. I had to add to the top and to the bottom so it looks a bit like Frankensteins monster at the moment. Once the lycra goes on it'll smooth out and you won't see the seams.

I've also cut a good bit out of the front to smooth it out and I'm gonna use an elastic band at the forehead and sow the lycra on to that to get it flat at the forehead.

Be great to get some comments when you all come back from Celebration! =)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: