Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6a3c2be20c1798bc379b2e917c35c566Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Another Ahsokta Tano CW 3-5 WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zlata ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Another Ahsokta Tano CW 3-5 WIP Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I'm working on an Ahsoka Tano costume, which hopefully will be finished in the next couple weeks. I'm mostly making it for cosplay and fun, but I realized I might as well try to make it Rebel Legion-worthy while I'm at it, so any input is welcome.
Most of the pieces are just cuts of fabric that I need to finish sewing together, but I have the lekku mostly down, since that was the most difficult part that was giving me stress.
I need to fix up the paint job and attach the beads, but here it is, more or less!

Are the wrinkles on the lekku too... wrinkly? They look great until I move my head, and then it just wrinkles up like actual skin. Which is a cool effect if I'm going for skin-like, but I'm not sure how smooth they ought to be. I did notice that on the Togruta from the movies, the lekku have very distinctive wrinkles where they bend over the shoulders.
Also, I searched everywhere but could not find diamond-shaped beads that satisfied me, but I really like these squarish ones. Do you think they are satisfactory for the Padawan braid? I have the bottom half as the round beads and they look great but I wanted to check with these.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Smile

It's true the movie togruta have 'shoulder wrinkles', but you don't really see them on Ahsoka; hers are very smooth and it is something we look at in a application process. For fabric lekku/montrails it's usually a matter of filling them out some more to smooth it all out.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Zlata ()

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they came mostly from the paint, because I used straight acrylic, which is bendable but not very elastic. I know it is not the best choice of paints for this type of thing, but I wasn't satisfied with the other types of sprays and paints I was experimenting. The front two lekku have enough stuffing in them, since I put in as much as I could fit. They looked nice and smooth before I painted them, even when I turned my head in all directions. I did leave a bit of room in the back one so that a crease would form and allow me to tilt my head up.

I'm guessing I'll end up making another headpiece in a while. I have plenty of ideas on how to improve them, but is there a specific type of flexible paint you'd recommend? I don't have an airbrush, so anything involving that is out.
Snips_Ire ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zlata wrote:
I think they came mostly from the paint, because I used straight acrylic, which is bendable but not very elastic. I know it is not the best choice of paints for this type of thing, but I wasn't satisfied with the other types of sprays and paints I was experimenting. The front two lekku have enough stuffing in them, since I put in as much as I could fit. They looked nice and smooth before I painted them, even when I turned my head in all directions. I did leave a bit of room in the back one so that a crease would form and allow me to tilt my head up.

I'm guessing I'll end up making another headpiece in a while. I have plenty of ideas on how to improve them, but is there a specific type of flexible paint you'd recommend? I don't have an airbrush, so anything involving that is out.

You can mix acrylic paint with liquid latex (50/50 mix) to make it both waterproof and flexible. Also means you can clean it as well, and remove all the orange make-up that gets smudged on to it! =)

That's what I used on mine, which I'm currently re-doing but that's because the size and shape was wrong.
Zlata ()

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snips_Ire wrote:
You can mix acrylic paint with liquid latex (50/50 mix) to make it both waterproof and flexible. Also means you can clean it as well, and remove all the orange make-up that gets smudged on to it! =)

That's what I used on mine, which I'm currently re-doing but that's because the size and shape was wrong.

Ooh, thanks! I am sort of rushing through this costume because I want to wear it for a convention this weekend, but I think my second headpiece will be a lot better. Thank you for the advice!
Zlata ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a convention last week after finishing my costume, so I thought I would share a pic from that. I will probably remake the headpiece with different paint to get rid of the wrinkles, and the leggings are super shoddy so those will get redone too.
I don't have an airbrush for skin painting, so I used orange tights on the arms, chest, and back so I would only have to paint my face. Is that ok or is it not skin-like enough?
I can take closer pictures of every piece later for better viewing.

(my sister went with me as Padme. also, the armbands are slipping down because I hadn't stuck them in place yet. I discovered that dress tape works like a charm!)
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely start. Smile

I'm afraid you will have to take your sponge and do all the visible skin with it. The two shades of orange don't match up, and it won't really look like your skin with the fabric there.

Your boots also needs to match the halfchaps, so there's a little work to be done there, too.

Overall, you've got the shape down, though your costume is definitely on the purple side.

The size for the headpiece looks pretty good as do the facial markings.

Zlata ()

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Overall, you've got the shape down, though your costume is definitely on the purple side.

It does look purpleish in these photos. The microsuede color is "biking red" and I think the vinyl is "burgundy", both from Joann's, so they look dark red in person. The boots I can definitely color-match, since I didn't do anything to them besides a bit of weathering. Thank you for the comments!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighting conditions can greatly affect how colors represent and some colors just love to photograph as a different color than they actually are. It all depends on how it has been dyed and what colors were used. (Colors are often layered and consist of other colors mixed together).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: