Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9e096f7c4c5a490b522c27c340f219beMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Anakin ROTS Outer Tunic Fabric
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psab Keel ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Anakin ROTS Outer Tunic Fabric Reply with quote

So while I was browsing fabric sources online I tend to frequent I came across this heavy cotton gauze that is (to my eye) an almost identical match to Anakin's Outer Tunic fabric from ROTS.

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0452915/heavy-cotton-gauze-white

They have a lot in stock and it looks to me like it has the same crinkled/ almost waffle texture to Anakin's Tunic set.

I thought this might be helpful for anyone looking for accurate fabric.

Psab
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is anakin's tunic fabric (I took these photos myself).

http://imageshack.com/a/img34/4649/7jhe.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img27/5187/uxr2.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img534/4628/rlqy.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img23/3618/bjni.jpg

the words 'tunic fabric' and 'gauze' don't belong in the same sentence. LOL Razz

Quote:
Fabric Weight Very Lightweight Sad

(anakin's fabric is Very Thick / heavy).

^^ I do agree though, this has a LOT closer 'texture', than the standard 'crinkle' that we always see.

nice find, either way. Wink cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really nice looking fabric right there.
Matt2 ()

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to order the sample of this fabric. Yes indeed the fabric is very close but not exact like Nathan yes. Yes it has the honeycomb crinkle waffle weave to it, but it doesn't go zig-saggy wave like screen used fabric.

Quality of fabric is like weight of a t-shirt fabric, but not napkin thin. Very good weight to it.

Any new Anakin costumer, I'd say go for this fabric. It's one of the closest fabric I've seen.

You can see the actual fabric in this picture is zig zag
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice weave. Smile Looks like a good choice for Anakin.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Matt2 ()

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fabric is by far the closest fabric I've seen. Clothears fabric is close but not as close as this one.

Man I'm so rusty with this costuming, since I've stopped getting costumes since 2009. So approximately how many yards of fabric is needed in order to make the whole tunic set? Including outer tunic, bias sash and cloth tabards.
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say about 16-18. It depends on how much the fabric will shrink during the dying, washing and drying process.
Matt2 ()

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I guess you can always use spare fabric just encase you make mistakes. If I remember correctly, I believe I used 8-10 yards of cotton knit gauze fabric with diagonal bias sash. If I also recall that it takes 5 yards minimum to make the outer tunic shirt itself.
Matt2 ()

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I guess you can always use spare fabric just encase you make mistakes. If I remember correctly, I believe I used 8-10 yards of cotton knit gauze fabric with diagonal bias sash. If I also recall that it takes 5 yards minimum to make the outer tunic shirt itself.
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it also depends on the size of your pattern too. The pattern I have (the one I used to make the Obi-Wan Tunic set I sold you) used 16 yards not including the lining.
Matt2 ()

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on how much the fabric shrinks. But this anakin fabric doesn't seem to shrink much, the texture just rises up and becomes more defined as you boil it. The fabric weave isn't open as wide as typical crinkle cotton gauze or the dharma natural woven fabric. This Anakin fabric doesn't really stretch as much, so it should be much easier to work with than crinkle cotton. I would have to lay the patterns to determine if the amount of fabric i've ordered is enough.
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the dharma material shrinks a considerable amount!
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This material is beautiful. Having it in hand to examine it, it's as close a match as I've seen to the real costume fabric.

The Clothears costume material is the right color and while I know that the real stuff had to be quite thin to account for all of the layers, it just looks like standard cotton gauze to me. Perhaps it looks the part when washed and made into the final garment, but at $45 a yard it seems really expensive.

Please don't take that as a knock against their work though. They do GORGEOUS pieces!

I think when dyed the right color, this fabric.com gauze will be a damn near perfect match to the screen used stuff.
Matt2 ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psab Keel wrote:
This material is beautiful. Having it in hand to examine it, it's as close a match as I've seen to the real costume fabric.

The Clothears costume material is the right color and while I know that the real stuff had to be quite thin to account for all of the layers, it just looks like standard cotton gauze to me. Perhaps it looks the part when washed and made into the final garment, but at $45 a yard it seems really expensive.

Please don't take that as a knock against their work though. They do GORGEOUS pieces!

I think when dyed the right color, this fabric.com gauze will be a damn near perfect match to the screen used stuff.

Indeed it's the best fabric I've ever seen. Throughout all those years I've been wanting to perfect out the costume, this is perfect fabric.
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to some really close INNER TUNIC fabric that can be dyed the correct color.

Seeing how the original material is no longer in production, this would be a very economical, yet very close substitute for anyone looking to make an Anakin Ep. III Inner Tunic. It has a nearly identical texture.

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0448106/laguna-crepe-cotton-natural
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: