Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a0072530de6264f0758825d11694fa53Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jyn Erso
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 12 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooter65 wrote:
Is anyone making Jyn Erso's TIE pilot disguise? I am building this for my daughter. Would love to see some intel on the back of the costume, in particular the two fighting sticks mounted to the back plate.

I would suggest from lot of, lot of good reasons, not work on this specific costume before movie will came out Wink ... there will be lot of surprises for everyone Smile
Jabari ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post edited to update the confirmed existence of the necklace.

Blair wrote:
I would propose:

1. Move "Jyn's blaster" as required item, with similar note as we are using in Han Solo standards:

Quote:
BlasTech A-180 blaster (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story version), unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm

2. Use same wording for "Tonfa baton" part:

Quote:
Truncheon (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story version), unless local laws prohibit

I just wanted to note: the reason I put the baton down as an optional item is because they seem to be considered a weapon that you actually need a license to carry in my state (and others) and there's no good way to make a "fake" one obviously fake. And I only know this because I looked it up, I wouldn't have thought about it otherwise.

(and her blaster is more "real world gun-like" than most)
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Paris Support Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to really propose current wording:

Quote:
BlasTech A-180 blaster (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story version), unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm

Quote:
Truncheon (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story version), unless local laws prohibit

There is a reason, why use "truncheon" and "BlasTech A-180 blaster" Wink
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that applicants would need at least 3 or 4 of the optional items for approval.

Jabari wrote:

Optional items / Jedha version

1. Jyn's blaster: BlasTech A-180 blaster (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story version), unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm (added to reflect Vlastimil's request)
2. Truncheon (Tonfa baton): please note, may be prohibited by local ordinances
3. Jacket - dark gray/green heavy cotton with tan/cream/yellow printed bar detail on the sleeves (ideally with a raised ink). Jacket is visible below the bottom of the vest but does not reach past top of hips. Sleeves reach just to the wrist and do not cover the gloves. There is a mandarin collar.
4. Vest pocket tools - two silver cylindrical items with clips. One is larger and more detailed than the other.
5. Scarf - long dark grey/black scarf, appears to have two corners rounded off. Scarf is long enough that both ends reach approximately to the knees when worn looped once around the neck. Fabric is somewhat stiff, not too drapey.
6. Necklace - a clear crystal on a leather cord.
7. In some pictures, it looks like the socks are military surplus green; at any rate they are long enough to not show skin above the boots.

References:
https://www.pinterest.com/nt47/jyn-erso-costume/
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=259118
https://www.flickr.com/photos/withoutastitchon/28342890462/in/album-72157668427075574/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jawajames/sets/72157668428055824
http://collider.com/rogue-one-costumes/

ladysolo14 ()
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commander Cody wrote:
I would suggest that applicants would need at least 3 or 4 of the optional items for approval.

Jabari wrote:

Optional items / Jedha version

1. Jyn's blaster: BlasTech A-180 blaster (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story version), unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm (added to reflect Vlastimil's request)
2. Truncheon (Tonfa baton): please note, may be prohibited by local ordinances
3. Jacket - dark gray/green heavy cotton with tan/cream/yellow printed bar detail on the sleeves (ideally with a raised ink). Jacket is visible below the bottom of the vest but does not reach past top of hips. Sleeves reach just to the wrist and do not cover the gloves. There is a mandarin collar.
4. Vest pocket tools - two silver cylindrical items with clips. One is larger and more detailed than the other.
5. Scarf - long dark grey/black scarf, appears to have two corners rounded off. Scarf is long enough that both ends reach approximately to the knees when worn looped once around the neck. Fabric is somewhat stiff, not too drapey.
6. Necklace - a clear crystal on a leather cord.
7. In some pictures, it looks like the socks are military surplus green; at any rate they are long enough to not show skin above the boots.

References:
https://www.pinterest.com/nt47/jyn-erso-costume/
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=259118
https://www.flickr.com/photos/withoutastitchon/28342890462/in/album-72157668427075574/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jawajames/sets/72157668428055824
http://collider.com/rogue-one-costumes/

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I think the required items for the standard should represent the version of Jyn's costume where she is wearing a more baseline version without many accessories.

For example, I just got my General Hux approved with the 501st and I know there was a debate around the CRL of what should be required and optional specifically around the hat and coat. Since there are scenes where Hux doesn't wear the hat and coat, those became optional items.

I think we should take the same approach with the Jyn standard. If this is the case then below is what I think should be required vs optional (I'll need to double check references but should be pretty close)

Required:

Shirt
Pants
Vest
Boots
Gloves
Gun Belt
Blaster - unless local laws prohibit
Pocket Tools

Optional:
Tonfa baton - Not sure if Jyn always has this on her in the pics we've seen so far
Jacket
Scarf
Necklace - I can go either way on optional/required, not sure how noticeable it is and doesn't really seem like a main part of the costume.

Last edited by ladysolo14 () on Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Commander Cody (Jason R.)

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That combination works too; we have a similar format with several of the rebel troopers in the RAID detachment.
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With added list of what is optional and what required ... look fine ... Wink
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladysolo14 wrote:
Commander Cody wrote:

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I think the required items for the standard should represent the version of Jyn's costume where she is wearing a more baseline version without many accessories.

Required:

Shirt, Pants, Vest, Boots, Gloves, Gun Belt, Blaster - unless local laws prohibit, Pocket Tools

Optional:
Tonfa baton - Not sure if Jyn always has this on her in the pics we've seen so far, Jacket, Scarf, Necklace - I can go either way on optional/required, not sure how noticeable it is and doesn't really seem like a main part of the costume.

Yes, this was my thinking, to have a basic costume. All the variations of Jyn's costume include the same base layers and the vest, and she does wear the "base" costume by itself; beyond that, you could do the "Jedha version" with the jacket and scarf, or the "Eadu(?) version" with the hat and poncho, etc. I didn't figure out what you'd need for the poncho version since I'm not doing that one, but you could add it as well:

Basic costume (as previously listed): required

Optional Items: Jedha Version:

Jacket
Scarf
Tonfa Truncheon (except where prohibited)

Optional Items: Eadu (Poncho) Version:

Jacket - same as the Jedha jacket
Poncho
Hat
Goggles
Blaster Rifle (except where prohibited)
Breather Apparatus?
(plus anything else I'm missing)

Presumably, if you're doing the Jedha or Eadu version, all items in the list would be required for that version.

Other props/accessories that could be optional include the necklace, binders/handcuffs, and the case I'm assuming holds the Death Star Plans?
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fan of that combination of optional and required items. For example, I'm not sure what the local Japan roles on tonfas are, but I am pretty sure I would get in trouble by having one in my house alone, because I live on a military base. Blasters are questionable here, but I think it would be easiest for judges to just have them as optional rather than confirming local laws for applicants. I suspect that most people would want the blaster, in any case.

I would probably also suggest doing two different standards for the poncho version and the regular version. We could develop them in parallel, however, as there are several shared parts. That worked out well in royalty for our slave Leia costume, versus her poncho sandstorm version. That would keep the standards clean in both cases.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Silvara (Anna Malinova)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we sure about the pants and scarf colors?
To me the pants looks more like dark grey than plain black. And for the scarf I believe its definitely not black. More like some tone of greyish brown/green something like that.
From what I observed from different photos screencaps and so on...

plus here is my WIP so far: https://business.facebook.com/pg/SilvarasCosplay/photos/?business_id=1454862584524688&tab=album&album_id=1421177071226573

https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15179224_1453508697993410_4809489961504872297_n.jpg?oh=cc0cae6725a824e39a4954d4df34db71&oe=58CA55B3
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to colors ... I seen lot of pictures, where gunbelt (belt with attached holster) looks in brown shades ... instead of black shades ...

As for now, it is hard to determine proper color and there will be always lot of opinions about it:

How do you feel about including also brown shade?

Quote:
6. Belt - Brown-black leather with 4 rivets/snaps at left front and left back. Belt opens at left hip (though there are not yet any clear photos of the actual fastening). Belt has holster with leg strap at the right hip.

Same applies to boots Wink

Quote:
4. Boots - plain dark brown combat boots with two flaps covering the laces. Top flap is held closed with hidden snaps; bottom flap is cut out on the outside corners and has a latch buckle similar to a ski boot buckle. The buckle's bail (wire piece) is attached with a loop of leather sewn into the flap. (original boots are likely brown Frye 'Veronica combat' boots)

Bossi (Michaela Sprtova)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silvara wrote:
Are we sure about the pants and scarf colors?
To me the pants looks more like dark grey than plain black. And for the scarf I believe its definitely not black. More like some tone of greyish brown/green something like that.
From what I observed from different photos screencaps and so on...

Seconding that. The pants and scarf are certainly not black.
The overall look is really weathered/worn out and these things look at most pictures and screencaps as more greyish, even blueish at some (due to filters probably). Certainly I wouldn't define pants in standard as plain black.
Should be dark grey/black...

My opinion on the belt standard:
"Belt opens at left hip (though there are not yet any clear photos of the actual fastening)."
- If there are not any clear photos of the actual fastening, why to put it into standards? As soon as the actual fastening made by costumer will not be visible on places where it shouldn't be visible, why to put some restrictions on the way of belt opening? How many times will the costumer be opening the belt in front of people? Wink
- Or... at least leave out the part in brackets. In standards there should be no such notes as "there are not yet any clear photos of the actual fastening", Standard is a guide for costumer and LCJ. It doesn't look good when you are suggesting costume should have something, but you admit you have no evidence for it. Wink It doesn't add to credibility at all. Wink

"I'll be honest with you Bob. My name is not Kirk. It's Skywalker, Luke Skywalker." - Jack O'Neill in Stargate "1969"
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my scarf, I started out with black and faded it down to a medium gray. Mine is some kind of poly/cotton blend, and I think the Rit color remover I used took the color out of the cotton and not the poly. This also gives it the varied, heathery textured coloring of the original. I think this color works - the picture on the left is how the scarf looks in real life; the others are various filters on my camera, no other editing, and it can look blue, brown, almost lavender...in bright direct sunlight it can photograph very light, too. All pictures were taken in indirect daylight next to a window.

I do think the pants are black, but they are a weathered/aged black. Starting with solid new gray won't look right. Ageing black down to the right shade will give the nice broken-in, uneven color like she's been living in the same old pants for years. Think "faded black jeans from a thrift store".

Bossi wrote:

My opinion on the belt standard:
"Belt opens at left hip (though there are not yet any clear photos of the actual fastening)."
- If there are not any clear photos of the actual fastening, why to put it into standards?... In standards there should be no such notes as "there are not yet any clear photos of the actual fastening", Standard is a guide for costumer and LCJ. It doesn't look good when you are suggesting costume should have something, but you admit you have no evidence for it. It doesn't add to credibility at all.

Well, obviously the wording needs to be finalized. When I wrote it, I was more making notes for myself and anyone interested as a starting point, not intending it to be the final standard. Smile
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'll be watching closely for how exactly the belt closes during the movie, but at this point, we can't confirm exactly what it is.

I agree with you Jabari that the pants are faded/weathered black.

I really believe that our standards should have enough wiggle-room on colors that include what we see color-corrected on screen and in promo images, which is much darker than the actual costume pieces we have seen at exhibits. We are aiming for "screen accurate," so I believe the darker screen palate should be acceptable, as long as all of the colors are unified.

I've spent lots of time staring at the boot closures today, and I am no longer as certain as I was about the hidden snaps:

However, the right boot clearly has a large piece of velcro instead. So, it may be that the circular scuffs on the left boot are just weathering scuffs. It may be that both velcro and snaps are used. It may be that the right and left boots use different fasteners, though that is unlikely.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
I know I'll be watching closely for how exactly the belt closes during the movie, but at this point, we can't confirm exactly what it is.

I agree with you Jabari that the pants are faded/weathered black.

I really believe that our standards should have enough wiggle-room on colors that include what we see color-corrected on screen and in promo images, which is much darker than the actual costume pieces we have seen at exhibits. We are aiming for "screen accurate," so I believe the darker screen palate should be acceptable, as long as all of the colors are unified.

I've spent lots of time staring at the boot closures today, and I am no longer as certain as I was about the hidden snaps:

However, the right boot clearly has a large piece of velcro instead. So, it may be that the circular scuffs on the left boot are just weathering scuffs. It may be that both velcro and snaps are used. It may be that the right and left boots use different fasteners, though that is unlikely.

One point ... different costumes, different boots ... this is picture Cassian Andor boots Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: