Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=af05f2084067724abdeeda9d15f39b85Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jyn Erso
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bekahsoka (Bekah Platzer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiming in on the pants color since I'm seeing a lot of black! I was lucky enough to see the costume in person under wonderful lighting at SDCC and brought about 30 paint swatches with me to find the perfect colors for everything, including the pants. What I found is they are a dark and faded navy blue/green color. In certain pictures I thought they we black at first, but the trailer is the only place they seem that way. In person they are definitely not black, but a dark blue/green with faded patches all over.

Also, the belt is a brown coloring with red, greenish, and black patches for weathering from what I saw and pictures I have.

I know we go for 'screen-accurate' but even in the trailers in more natural light you can tell the pants and belt are not black. When the movie comes out it'll be better to tell, but again we do have a lot of images in person and in trailers showing the correct colors.
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:

I've spent lots of time staring at the boot closures today, and I am no longer as certain as I was about the hidden snaps:

However, the right boot clearly has a large piece of velcro instead. So, it may be that the circular scuffs on the left boot are just weathering scuffs. It may be that both velcro and snaps are used. It may be that the right and left boots use different fasteners, though that is unlikely.

What I've found from wearing my boots a few times was that if both halves of the snaps are not positioned exactly right (or if wearing the wrong socks or tucking in my pants), they pop open. When I tested the boots walking around the house, they seemed fine. So it's entirely possible they started with snaps and added velcro later as a backup.

Jyn Erso wrote:
Chiming in on the pants color since I'm seeing a lot of black! I was lucky enough to see the costume in person under wonderful lighting at SDCC and brought about 30 paint swatches with me to find the perfect colors for everything, including the pants. What I found is they are a dark and faded navy blue/green color. In certain pictures I thought they we black at first, but the trailer is the only place they seem that way. In person they are definitely not black, but a dark blue/green with faded patches all over.

Also, the belt is a brown coloring with red, greenish, and black patches for weathering from what I saw and pictures I have.

I know we go for 'screen-accurate' but even in the trailers in more natural light you can tell the pants and belt are not black. When the movie comes out it'll be better to tell, but again we do have a lot of images in person and in trailers showing the correct colors.

Thanks! That kind of sounds like Aragorn's costume in Lord of the Rings - it looks black in the movie but in reality it was dark green since it gave the costume a richer "black" coloring on film.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
I am a fan of that combination of optional and required items. For example, I'm not sure what the local Japan roles on tonfas are, but I am pretty sure I would get in trouble by having one in my house alone, because I live on a military base. Blasters are questionable here, but I think it would be easiest for judges to just have them as optional rather than confirming local laws for applicants. I suspect that most people would want the blaster, in any case.

I would probably also suggest doing two different standards for the poncho version and the regular version. We could develop them in parallel, however, as there are several shared parts. That worked out well in royalty for our slave Leia costume, versus her poncho sandstorm version. That would keep the standards clean in both cases.

I think it should be treated like Endor Leia with the Briefing version and the Camo version, since it's basically the same deal.

I'm also not convinced quite yet that her gray/blue/green jacket is the one she is wearing with her concho since it appears to be tan cuffs in exhibit pictures. Could all be a trick of lighting though, guess we'll find out.

Jyn Erso wrote:
Chiming in on the pants color since I'm seeing a lot of black! I was lucky enough to see the costume in person under wonderful lighting at SDCC and brought about 30 paint swatches with me to find the perfect colors for everything, including the pants. What I found is they are a dark and faded navy blue/green color.

I think the hardest part will be finding that! My fabric has a navy blue/black color to it, but doesn't look like this nice faded color all the cameras seem to capture. I've ordered so many swatches and I'm not finding anything nice!

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Thread: Jyn Erso: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79953
rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are we with the standard as currently listed in the opening post?

We're going to have a flood of Jyn's coming in and I want to have at least a basic standard for the judges to use as reference.

Jabari wrote:
    I realize this is a bit too early to have a finalized version of this costume, but I'm starting already, so here's what I've got so far. All descriptions are preliminary and may change!

**Updated 11/26/16**

Jyn's basic costume seems to be the following:

1. Shirt - dark slate or bluish grey with inset yoke collar and 3/4 length sleeves. The collar is high in back and flaps open, with the "top" flap being the left side flap (point of flap on the right). The inset shape is squared at the center front. Fabric appears to be linen-like.
    2. Pants - black stretch cotton/denim with a wide waistband with tab, and 4 seams: down the center front and back of the leg, as well as the usual inseam and outer leg seam. Just below the knee is a tab detail with a military style slide buckle and two tan printed rectangles; below that there is a series of 8 pin tucks on the outside front quarter of the leg that narrow at the ankle. Pants reach just to the tops of the boots.
    3. Vest - medium brown colored cotton with quilted back and two front pockets. Strap details with hooks on both sides. Short stand up collar at back of neck. Hem does not reach to waist and has a "card device" on the left side. Arm holes are very fitted. Lining is red.
    4. Boots - plain dark combat boots with two flaps covering the laces. Top flap is held closed with hidden snaps; bottom flap is cut out on the outside corners and has a latch buckle similar to a ski boot buckle. The buckle's bail (wire piece) is attached with a loop of leather sewn into the flap. (original boots are likely brown Frye 'Veronica combat' boots)
    5. Gloves - tan fingerless gloves similar to the Black Diamond 'Stone' gloves, with the strap altered to remove the logo and replace the velcro with a snap. Both gloves have a circular detail added to the back of the hand; the left is stitching only, the right has the circle cut out and replaced by two differently toned half circles of darker leather. Gloves have been weathered darker than the original tan.
    6. Belt - black leather with 4 rivets/snaps at left front and left back. Belt opens at left hip (though there are not yet any clear photos of the actual fastening). Belt has holster with leg strap at the right hip.
    7. Hair - longish bangs parted in the middle with layers framing the face, approximately chin length. Back of hair is gathered into a small bun at the nape of the neck.
    8. All items are weathered.

Optional items / Jedha version

1. Jyn's blaster
    2. Tonfa baton: please note, may be prohibited by local ordinances
    3. Jacket - dark gray/green heavy cotton with tan/cream/yellow printed bar detail on the sleeves (ideally with a raised ink). Jacket is visible below the bottom of the vest but does not reach past top of hips. Sleeves reach just to the wrist and do not cover the gloves. There is a mandarin collar.
    4. Vest pocket tools - two silver cylindrical items with clips. One is larger and more detailed than the other.
    5. Scarf - long dark grey/black scarf, appears to have two corners rounded off. Scarf is long enough that both ends reach approximately to the knees when worn looped once around the neck. Fabric is somewhat stiff, not too drapey.
    6. Necklace - a clear crystal on a leather cord.
    7. In some pictures, it looks like the socks are military surplus green; at any rate they are long enough to not show skin above the boots.

References:
    https://www.pinterest.com/nt47/jyn-erso-costume/
    http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=259118
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/withoutastitchon/28342890462/in/album-72157668427075574/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/jawajames/sets/72157668428055824
    http://collider.com/rogue-one-costumes/

ladysolo14 ()
Legion Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commander Cody wrote:
How are we with the standard as currently listed in the opening post?

We're going to have a flood of Jyn's coming in and I want to have at least a basic standard for the judges to use as reference.

I think there was some good feedback in this thread we need to incorporate into the standard and clean it up really quick. I can take a stab at that today unless someone else beats me to it.

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated. It doesn't have to be perfect because we can always amend and clarify as more detail become available.
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, probably my last updates before we will move wit this version Wink ... updates are in red ...

Quote:
3. Vest - medium brown colored cotton with quilted back and two front pockets. Strap detail with hook on right side. Strap detail without hook on left side and inside of vest. Flap on left site partially covering left strap detail. Short stand up collar at back of neck. Hem does not reach to waist and has a "card device" on the left side. Arm holes are very fitted. Lining is red.

Quote:
2. Pants - black stretch cotton/denim with a wide waistband with tab, and 4 seams: down the center front and back of the leg, as well as the usual inseam and outer leg seam. Just below the knee is a tab detail with grey/white strap, a military style slide buckle and two tan printed rectangles; below that there is a series of 8 pin tucks on the outside front quarter of the leg that narrow at the ankle. Pants reach just to the tops of the boots.

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Commanding Officer

Dragon Con Planning Team Volunteer (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Vlastimil. Feel free to add these edits into the first post of the thread Smile
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the vest is a cotton at all. It looks nylon to me. Also, snap closure method on the boot flaps? I'm not sure that needs to be specified since there might be other ways that don't destroy the boot. (If my experiment works, I'll post it)

Current Build Thread: Jyn Erso: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79953
rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com

Dragon Con Planning Team Volunteer (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it necessary to be that specific in regards to fabric, though?
ladysolo14 ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to allow for some flexibility in fabric type and colors. I went looking for fabric for my "quick" Jyn version for a photoshoot and finding things was difficult. As long as it looks the part and doesn't look "off" then it should be fine. I ended up using a synthetic fabric lining that I top stitched and attached to batting. But I think you could use different types of material to get a similar look. Here's what my vest ended up looking like, please note, not screen accurate by any means but I think the fabric and method I used has the right look and feel.

Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commander Cody wrote:
Is it necessary to be that specific in regards to fabric, though?

Well, if you put 'cotton' in, that makes it specific, too. Nylon is very different than cotton, and this vest has the slight sheen and lightness that nylon has. It doesn't have to be as specific as nylon, but I think to list it as cotton would be wrong. Acetate, nylon ripstop, certain outdoor materials and rainwear fabric could work (but nylon is cheap and accurate. I probably only spent $10 to order and dye mine the right color.)

-edit- example Smile

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this? I think I've got all the suggested changes (marked in red):

Quote:
Jyn Erso Basic Costume:

1. Shirt - dark slate or bluish grey with inset yoke collar and 3/4 length sleeves. The collar is high in back and flaps open, with the "top" flap being the left side flap (point of flap on the right). The inset shape is squared at the center front. Fabric appears to be linen-like.
2. Pants - black stretch cotton/denim with a wide waistband with tab, and 4 seams: down the center front and back of the leg, as well as the usual inseam and outer leg seam. Just below the knee is a tab detail with grey/white strap, a military style slide buckle and two tan printed rectangles; below that there is a series of 8 pin tucks on the outside front quarter of the leg that narrow at the ankle. Pants reach just to the tops of the boots.
3. Vest - medium brown color with quilted back and two front pockets. Strap detail with hook on right side. Strap detail without hook on left side and inside of vest. Flap on left side partially covering left strap detail. Short stand up collar at back of neck. Hem does not reach to waist and has a "card device" on the left side. Arm holes are very fitted. Lining is red.
4. Boots - plain dark brown combat boots with two flaps covering the laces. Top flap is held closed with hidden fasteners; bottom flap is cut out on the outside corners and has a latch buckle similar to a ski boot buckle. The buckle's bail (wire piece) is attached with a loop of leather sewn into the flap. (original boots are likely brown Frye 'Veronica combat' boots)
5. Gloves - tan fingerless gloves similar to the Black Diamond 'Stone' gloves, with the strap altered to remove the logo and replace the velcro with a snap. Both gloves have a circular detail added to the back of the hand; the left is stitching only, the right has the circle cut out and replaced by two differently toned half circles of darker leather. Gloves have been weathered darker than the original tan.
6. Belt - weathered black/brown leather with 4 rivets/snaps at left front and left back. Belt opens at left hip [actual fastening TBD but appears to be hidden and square]. Belt has holster with leg strap at the right hip that closes with snaps. There are 3 stud/post portion of the snaps and a single cap/socket. The leg strap also has a keeper loop. The holster has a retention strap for the blaster.
7. Hair - longish bangs parted in the middle with layers framing the face, approximately chin length. Back of hair is gathered into a small bun at the nape of the neck.
8. Jyn's Blaster - BlasTech A-180 blaster (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story version), unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm
9. All items are weathered.

Optional items / Jedha version

1. Jacket - dark gray/green heavy cotton with tan/cream/yellow printed bar detail on the sleeves (ideally with a raised ink). Jacket is visible below the bottom of the vest but does not reach past top of hips. Sleeves reach just to the wrist and do not cover the gloves. There is a mandarin collar.
2. Vest pocket tools - two silver cylindrical items with clips. One is larger and more detailed than the other.
3. Scarf - long dark grey/black scarf, appears to have two corners rounded off. Scarf is long enough that both ends reach approximately to the knees when worn looped once around the neck. Fabric is somewhat stiff, not too drapey.
4. Kyber crystal necklace - a clear crystal on a leather cord.
5. Tonfa baton- Black and silver extendable baton/truncheon with tonfa handle, unless prohibited by local laws (Note, this is an item where a prop version is not significantly different from the real thing, which may require a weapons permit; please check local laws)
6. Socks - In some pictures, it looks like the socks are military surplus green; at any rate they are long enough to not show skin above the boots.

I took out all references to fabric types (except for the pants, which I've not seen anyone who thinks they're not stretch cotton/denim, and the "linen-like" for the shirt) but feel free to change that if I'm wrong.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to find a fine-enough linen to actually resemble the shirt, but have no clue what to call it (I'm thinking it might even be a silk or silk-blend). At least the pants we had listed on the CE sign. But I digress...

Would the blaster be a 'required' option if she starts off as a prisoner with no weapons? We'll find out, but I think she acquires that later.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
Would the blaster be a 'required' option if she starts off as a prisoner with no weapons? We'll find out, but I think she acquires that later.

Ooh, you're right. I originally had it in the "Optional" list, but someone had suggested it be required. But yeah, I just rewatched the "Rescue" clip, and she does not have a blaster, a holster, or even a belt.

(She is wearing the shirt, pants, vest, shoes, and gloves; it's hard to see, but I don't think she has the vest pocket tools either. Otherwise, the only difference is that she has binders.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: