Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0642362a12963637a86b365a1d546d90Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ahsoka Tano (Rebels) WIP *APPROVED*
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirenescence (Alexis Torres)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Ahsoka Tano (Rebels) WIP *APPROVED* Reply with quote

Hello! This is my WIP thread for my Ahsoka Tano costume, I've been slowly working on this since April of this year and even though its slow going I have most of the foundation pieces ready to assemble!

Fabric Pieces

The tunic has been trial and error so far, I am a beginner at sewing so this has been a bit of a challenge. I made a dress-form out of duct tape so I could drape fabric onto it to make my own custom pattern for the tunic.

It took a couple tries but after putting one of my old prom dresses on my form and copying the panels on it I have a pattern that I'm really happy with.

It is very messy looking since it is the pattern/mockup, I need to fine-tune a lot. The length for one, I'm combining four panels so I'll only have four panels in total instead of eight. I need to make my shoulders more visible and I am not going to make the collar separate, I'm just going to add extra fabric on the neckline and sew it in place.

I have not really started on the gloves and fabric belt yet, I believe I have the fabric picked out for the belt but for now I want to finish the tunic first.

Armor Pieces

I have a forearm and hand armor pattern that I'm really happy with, all the armor pieces are going to be made out of Sintra. Maybe except for the leg and chest armor, we'll see if I can coerce the Sintra to bend a bit.

I bought a relativity cheap pair of booties and I cut off all the straps and buckles, they're now ready for paint.

Misc.

I did a quick makeup test with my body paint, the original white paint I got for her facial markings didn't work out hence why there are white smudges on my face, other than that I love the color of the paint!

Her montrails are going to be made by a lovely member of my base, we should be starting that here in the next month. I have talked with someone who has 3D printed hilts for Ahsoka and I believe another member of my base will be helping me put some electronics in them.

I hope to have this costume done by the end of January, so far its looking like I will be meeting my goal! The rest of the pieces that I haven't started on yet I already have a good idea of how I'm going to make them, I want to finish up my tunic and finish the other armor patterns for right now and we'll see where I go from there!

Thank you to all the other Ahsoka WIP threads and tutorials, they are a live-saver!

Last edited by Sirenescence (Alexis Torres) on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Past (Audrey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always excited to see more Ahsoka!

It looks like a good start so far! I'll make sure to keep a look on your built c:
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a long time since I updated this thread! Right now my hard due date to finish this costume is April 12th, a day before Star Wars Celebration. I won't actually be going to Celebration but some of the members of my base are just having a small get together and I'd like to have her done to match with some other Rebels costumers!

Armor Pieces:

I finished painting one of my arm pieces, I just need to finish the other one. I think I did a pretty decent job seeing as I'm not the best at painting.

I have all of the belt ornaments cut out of Sintra, I just need to sand them and make the borders with Worbla and then I can paint! I had made a chest piece out of Sintra, however its not wanting to curve and since I'm so busty I'm going to have to try out something else.

Her leg armor...I have no clue I'm not even thinking about that yet.

Soft Goods:

I decided to commission my tunic and gloves, I met with my commissioner about a week ago for a fitting and everything is coming along nicely! I wish I would have snagged a pic but the fabric is nice and weighty but still breathable. It should be sturdy enough to hold up the armor pieces.

My headpiece is being made by another Ahsoka costumer, here it is so far with one layer of paint. The stripes will be darker after more paint is applied.

The leather belt and under-belt are being commissioned as well, I'll post some pictures when I receive them.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are making good progress. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lora! I'm trying to make a lot of progress, nothing like having an event next month to motivate you to get things done!

I received my tunic and gloves from my commissioner and I love them! They're made out of a heavy knit fabric, the only problem I have is getting the gloves to stay up but I have had people suggest using either toupee tape or stocking glue so I'll have to try that!

My armor (sans chest and legs) is close to being finished! I have to finish the border on one more piece and then I can fix the seams, prime with wood glue and get to painting!

And last but not least my headpiece arrived today! I did a quick makeup test, I need to practice getting the lines on my markings to look cleaner but otherwise I am very pleased!

The last thing I'm waiting on from a commissioner is my under belt and leather belt. Then the last armor pieces I need to make are the chest piece and the leg armor!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody has trouble with the sleeves. (Stupid animated designs. *grumble*)

Good with a little extra motivation to keep you working. Wink Headpiece looks nice from what I can see, so keep practicing the makeup until you have it down.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a lot of work over the past few days that I've had off from work.

I finally painted the belt ornaments, it was quite a hassle figuring how out to get the design on them CLEANLY (I don't know how I passed kindergarten when I can't draw a straight line) but I really love the result! Just need to finish painting the design on the two other pieces and get the lightsaber hangers in place and then they are done!

I went ahead and painted my boots, nothing fancy and I know the paint will crack over time but I need something quick.

I made a pattern out of duct tape of my legs for my pattern for the leg armor. Fingers crossed that this won't be too hard, been dreading this part for the whole build.

The chest armor? Ehhhh. It came out lumpy on the side where the darts are, I messed up and I tried to cover it with more Worbla but it didn't work. At this point I'm probably going to have to just finish and wear it for my event and then remake it later for approval. Unless I can get my hands on more Worbla before then, then I'll just cover the whole thing.

My belt's should be arriving in the next couple of weeks and then I can work on getting everything attached where it needs to be. So far so good! I'm optimistic and I don't think I'm doing too shabby for my first hardcore costume build!

By the way, Lora here are some clearer pictures of my headpiece!

(sorry for the dirty mirror pics, that's what happens when you share a bathroom with a 17 year old brother -_-)
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. Smile

Any chance you could rework your current worbla piece? It's too large anyway, so perhaps get rid of the troublesome areas when you cut?

Past (Audrey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the chest piece: the dart are very hard to hide on their own. The best way to cover them is with Bondo and lots of sanding!

For the boots: I HIGHLY suggest getting leather boots dye. You can usually get a can for about 10$ at most show repair places. It's worth it and will last so much longer (I used spray paint on my first pair of boots and had to repaint them after every troop. There was so much paint on them at some point that it looked terrible. Now that they're permenantly dyed I don't have that problem anymore)

Good luck with the rest! Things are looking quite good so far!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora: I can try to rework my chest piece, looking at it now it is way too big :/

Audrey: Good thing I have plenty of Bondo! There is hope! Yeah the boots I have now are cheapo so they were starting to crack anyhow so I went and just spray painted them because I'm getting a nicer pair to dye later after my event. Thanks for the tip!

I finished the rest of the belt ornaments (for the most part) I'll keep you all updated as I move onto my leg armor and chest piece!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it. Smile

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I posted, I received my belts from my commissioner and they're perfect except that they're way too big on me. I've sent them back to my commissioner to be fixed in time for my event.

I managed to snag a couple pictures with everything on sans chest and leg armor and I think I'm on the right track!

I bought a bunch more Worbla so I definitely have enough for my leg armor and a new chest piece, I'm going to try to trim down my current one and smooth it out first before I attempt a new one.

At the moment I'm considering this to be my "first draft" of the costume and I can always upgrade later for approval.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your progress looks good. Smile

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really close to finishing this costume up! After a year of on and off work, I'm almost ready to submit! I still have to finish painting everything, get the saber hangers on my side armor and get everything permanently attached.

My leg armor is another story. I love how they look, I did better than I thought I would but they do not want to close in the back. I first tried velcro on either side of the opening but that didn't work, a couple Ahsoka's recommended using D-rings but I'm still trying to get it to work. Hopefully, I can get them sorted out sometime tomorrow when I go to work on them with another base member.

I'm getting really nervous about submitting but I'm hopeful!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, so good. Smile

You might want to even out the bottom of your chest plate as it is a bit uneven in places; it would give it a cleaner and smoother look.

Good luck with getting the boots done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: