Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=89961dc70ee313d64343da772c8c5c1fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

AhsokaFreakingTano CW:Seasons3-5 Complete and Approved
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AhsokaFreakingTano (Kelly Hawthorne)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: AhsokaFreakingTano CW:Seasons3-5 Complete and Approved Reply with quote

Hello, everyone! Ahsoka for several years has been mine (and probably many others) favorite character from the Clone Wars Series! So I will be uploading my WIP pictures and I'm hoping to finish up this costume in the next few weeks (the actual costume is done I'm still working on the headpiece.)

Last edited by AhsokaFreakingTano (Kelly Hawthorne) on Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:01 pm; edited 7 times in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Color Matching Reply with quote

So the hardest part sometimes is just matching colors. So I went into photoshop and got all the colors matched to reference photos on this website.

That gave me a good basis to start
From Left to right the colors go: Belts, Leggings, Front Sash main and below front sash accent, center buckle, Akul teeth darkest and lightest, Lekku stripes darkest and lightest, dress, gauntlet accent and gauntlet main
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Leggings Reply with quote

I have seen her leggings done several ways. Heck, I have done them several ways. I tried just lining the opening with interfacing (which worked for a day) then I tried doing it with wire (as I've seen so many do) they did much better but I continued to get stabbed and poked and I was just not about that so I thought to myself about another way and came up with Boning.

I then also thought about how utterly crappy my camera is... :x
However, something that was not mentioned in the color matching post is that I took a long time and matched Ahsoka's skin tone... I did this so I could custom dye some jersey knit fabric to line certain areas.

Like these leggings! You will see this fabric other places. I have very sensitive skin and mild plaque psoriasis which comes and goes in its severity and after a few days straight in the costume I break out from all of the paint so I decided this would be the best way ever!

Last edited by AhsokaFreakingTano (Kelly Hawthorne) on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Gauntlets Reply with quote

So as I went about a remake of this costume one of the few things I did not completely destroy and remake were the boots and gauntlets, I did some mild alterations to each and then made new 'buckles'

Armbands which were nice and easy to get done. And I now realise there is a Furby sitting off to the side... he was being used to keep my backdrop up

The gauntlets before the buckles

Gloves

So for the buckles I carved them from Oil based modeling clay that way they wouldn't dry out during the molding process.

I made a mold with 4 in it and the resin takes 15 minutes to set and harden so in about an hour I had the full set of 16 to choose from!

After popping them own, sanding them down and painting them they looked about like this however I dulled their shine a little bit later on.

I used them as tab covers and had the closure be snaps, attached the bucles to the tabs with some epoxy and there we have it!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great start. Smile

I want to warn you about using fabric for Ahsoka's skin as it is very hard to get an exact match to the makeup you'll be wearing. And without a match it will look off. So I hope you are aware of this.
The plus side for you, is that except for the hands none of your exposed skin will ever be close to your legs so that might make it a little easier for you.

Keep going and show us more.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Great start. Smile

I want to warn you about using fabric for Ahsoka's skin as it is very hard to get an exact match to the makeup you'll be wearing. And without a match it will look off. So I hope you are aware of this.
The plus side for you, is that except for the hands none of your exposed skin will ever be close to your legs so that might make it a little easier for you.

Keep going and show us more.

Yeah I thought about that for a while so I matched the paint. However, I has psoriasis all over my body like many people that have it. The only thing I'll have to paint now will be my hands and then neck up. I spent a few hours to match the paint to the fabric and I'll take pictures of that later.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Belts galore! Reply with quote

So after color matching everything I took some scrap fabric and ended up using the wrong side of it, adding a little water downed paint, and then coloring it to the right color along with just a touch of weathering

after It was all sewn up I traced the outline and looking at some high-res photos I went about and free handed the appliques

I cut them out from a different vinyl in a brighter shade than the ones used for the gauntlets (it just looks weirdly dark in all the photos in person it looks different)

I did the buckle with some black art worbla (regular is shown here but I actually just remade it for the final version)

I then attached it to the belts I kept from the first version and ta-da! Belts are done! The pouch is on the back as well
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: All the Fabric dying! Reply with quote

So as I mentioned before I have a minor case of plaque psoriasis. Like many people who have this, and far worse than myself, it's not just in one place, I have several patches on my legs, several on my back, my arms have one larger and several smaller, and I also have it around my eyes on my face. It's not uncomfortable until it flares up and I realised with the first time I wore this costume that the body paint which didn't irritate my usually extremely sensitive skin did in fact cause a flare up, and every other paint did this. So, I decided (as there was nothing stating that I couldn't) to use fabric over the bulk of the exposed areas leaving just my hands neck and face to paint and thus minimizing myself a lot of discomfort.
Like my first picture I took a few hours and color matched her skin tone to a color and used that to get the basics for my fabric. I used a matte jersey knit that's 94% cotton and 6% spandex for all of the orange fabric you see.

I used a combination of 2 orange and 1 brown dye. Then ended up getting a custom dye made. found that the orange by itself was too orange and not brown enough however the harvest on its own had too much brown so it was hours and hours of test dying with various combinations of these three colors until I finally ended up getting the right shade. I believe I used mostly harvest with a splash or orange and can't even remember if I used the brown... maybe like a drop?

That's the fabric when it's all wet

I ended up changing my mind (after running out of fabric mind you) about attaching the "sleeves" right onto the dress and wanted them to be separate nothing a sports bra can't fix. I made the sleeves nice and tight to mimic skin and added in a thumb hole to keep them on.

And ta-da! Sleeves are all done and I'm digging the old school selfie.

Now I know in the last two photos I'm wearing the dress that's because I already had it made way before I did the fabric but I'm trying to think of a logical posting order.

Last edited by AhsokaFreakingTano (Kelly Hawthorne) on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Dress Time! Reply with quote

I ordered a maroon colored stretch micro suede online and finally got one that matched everything else. As seen in the last post I got the shape and length correct. I then put it on inside out and marked out the front peek shape then had someone help me trace the back peek. I then cut out the openings and hemmed over the edges.

Things always look funky on dress forms I think. I added in a zipper in the back and attached the collar.

Fabric on the front peek

Fabric on the back peek. Now I put it all on a 3/4 mannequin (or tried) the hands and now the whole costume part is done. Added in my food capsules and shoto hilt and we are all set!

I got a mold made for ahsoka's headpiece and I recently discovered that it was too short so I'm currently in the process of making another set of lekku from latex so I can add them onto the other part smooth out the seams and then do all the painting.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you're making good progress. Smile

I'm pretty sure your teardrop hole in front is too large unless your dress form stretches it crazily. (In which case you might want to take it off it).

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
CommanderMoonMoon (Jason Luu)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good snips
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: paint and fabric test PLUS headpiece update. Reply with quote

[img]http://i.imgur.com/iZWoDOJ.jpg?1[/img]

I did another test to get the paint and fabric to match other than the fact that one is always going to have more reflective properties then the other the paint is the same color.
In the future, I'm going to try an alcohol-based paint to see if that gives better coverage, less rubbing, etc. I didn't try it now because I have yet to find one that irritates my skin and or causes a massive flare up. I have a friend at the next con that owns a makeup company he knows my pains because he has similar and has offered to give samples to me to see if I can use them. I have another friend that has the alcohol version of the brand I'm currently using Kyrolan (I'm using the liquid aqua color) I love this paint it stays on forever! I did this test last night and then, due to an upcoming con, finishing costumes and painting everything, I left the paint on my hand and I have to say... 65-75% still stayed on my hand

Headpiece update: It's been pulled from its mold, I originally commissioned someone to make me a mold extremely long story short they made it too short which causes my to cast duplicates of the lekku. All of those have been attached and are starting the long process of smoothing them out. Last night I did the base coat of the back lekku stripes (marking them off with a pencil first) and that went great, since you look at Ahsoka's stripes closely you see they aren't uniform in color, I am doing a first brushed coat of dark steely blue and then the lighter correct color, all of these colors are latex. I will have pictures in the next few days. I will also mention that the Akul teeth are integrated into this mask and those are all painted as well.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Shoto, beads, and braids oh my Reply with quote

http://imgur.com/iZWoDOJ for whatever reason this pic won't upload grrr

I had my Shoto saber 3D printed and then painted it as close to the color of my main saber as I could get it. For reference my main saber is the saberforge katano and I love that thing!

I painted some beads to get them to the right color since I couldn't find any that were perfect. I put them together on some wire. For the Padawan braid it's actually a large ball chain in a distressed color with more custom painted beads on it.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Headpiece little bit Reply with quote

So I've done quite a bit more since these crappy photos were taken, the two parts are getting together and fitted properly and once the two halves are fully sealed together I will be sure to upload some pics.

Please note: I'm using a 7 year old digital camera in a basement with nothing but horrid lighting, I usually do my work at night so natural light isn't an option more often then not.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: I added a comlink! Reply with quote

I had the same person who 3D printed my Shoto also 3D print a comlink, it attaches to the gauntlet with magnets so I can take it off if I feel like and I'm not stuck with it, I thought it was just a super awesome little detail to add to the costume
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: