Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d63fd3fc7e1ce959d8bc8cca7fc1ef67Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Late season Obi-Wan Clone Wars armor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thehousejedi (Carl Grasso)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Late season Obi-Wan Clone Wars armor Reply with quote

So I've been working on some vambraces to try to do a late season CW OWK and I'm having a bear of a time with them. When looking at the cartoon itself the vambraces are very tight, so tight that a real person would never get their hands through the opening.

I made a set last year that was wide enough for my hand to "easily" pass through but the elbow end just looked huge. I've put together a new set and instead I'm using industrial velcro on the back seam so that I can squeeze it closed around my forearm keeping the tight fit look of the cartoon. This then creates a problem of having a visible seam in the back. I am assuming it would not pass, even if I had a flap to even out the seam. I'm going to hide the cracking in the bondo that comes from compressing the circumference under weathering and blaster scoring.

Is my only real option to have overly large armor? Those of us on the svelte side of costuming don't often have the armor resources that normal sized people have. I swear the kit for this was meant for someone with huge arms. I have contemplated using the closed state of them as molds and trying my hand at worbla but I'm not sure if they'd pass either.

My last option was to use high powered magnets to hold the open ends closed so at least they'd be flush but there would still be a seam.

I'm confused to how armor that is several sizes bigger than the cartoon can pass but a seamed back likely wouldn't.
501st Legion (IC/ID/IG/TI - 18420), New England Garrison - Green Mountain Squad: Imperial Bridge Crew, Tie-Pilot Reserve, Imperial Gunner, Imperial Security Bureau officer, Rogue One | In progress: FOTK Officer
DougD ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might be making some incorrect assumptions. Almost ALL clone armor is seamed. The bracers. The calf guards. The neck guard if you are doing early clone wars Obi (otherwise how would you get your head through it?).

There is nothing in the costume standards that says it cant have a seamed opening. You just need to make sure its on the inside of the leg for calf armor, or the inside/underside of the armor for bracers. You can use industrial velcro or rare earth magnets, both work.

Here are mine. You cant see the opening from the outside but its on the underside of the arm and allows a tight appearance when Im wearing them similar to the cartoon.

If you look half way down this page you will see how Shay, the current Obi judge, used a velcro seam on his bracers as well.
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55618&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

Hopefully that answers your concerns or questions.
thehousejedi (Carl Grasso)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, you made my day! I assumed seamless since the cartoon is seamless.
501st Legion (IC/ID/IG/TI - 18420), New England Garrison - Green Mountain Squad: Imperial Bridge Crew, Tie-Pilot Reserve, Imperial Gunner, Imperial Security Bureau officer, Rogue One | In progress: FOTK Officer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: