Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5cb30ae6201ee42d7877a1c2a5aeddb9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia's Senatorial gown doubts.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent
Base Membership Officer 2017
Pandorachaan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again! I've got a new question about the back side of the gown. As I can't use zippers on the collar (only hooks/eyes, right?), how big must the keyhole be?? I can't find good oficial references, only some images from other active Legion members. Could anyone give my a little hand here, please?
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have a hard-and-fast rule about keyhole size, only that it needs to be there. Mine is big enough so that I can get the dress on over my buns, if needed, which is about 8" (~20 cm). I have seen people submit smaller keyholes, if they only want to get it over their head without buns.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
ladysolo14 ()
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
We don't have a hard-and-fast rule about keyhole size, only that it needs to be there. Mine is big enough so that I can get the dress on over my buns, if needed, which is about 8" (~20 cm). I have seen people submit smaller keyholes, if they only want to get it over their head without buns.

Mine is really similar in size and I can just barely get the dress over my head with my buns on. I think that's a really good thing to consider, will you have the buns on before or after you put the dress on? I always do my hair at home since I use extensions for the buns and wrap them for every troop. I don't get dressed until I'm at the location of the troop.

Last edited by ladysolo14 () on Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pandorachaan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the suggestions, I'm taking notes. My costume is almost ready! Leia Buns
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone!! The other day I went to my cousin's house and I tried to make some photos to show a little bit more how my progress is going on. I must apologize for the bad quality of the photos and the terrible light!

However, I confess that I feel very nervous and scared of the feedback I might get, because that day it was very bad for my (I was actually sick with a virus), and I could not get my gown put on right or comb my hair correctly...

By the way, I just need to get my new belt ready (I had to change the shape, so I'm waiting for my local leather workshop to call me when it's finished) and in December I will receive Leia's blaster from UK.

I hope you understand that the belt I'm wearing in these photos is NOT the one I'm going to use properly (it's my cousin's belt and I wore it just to see how it would look approximately) I think, this is why it makes the dress a bit weird to me because I can't adjust correctly the belt and give the correct shape to he gown. I'm hopping that it would look much better with the new and accurate belt.

Here is the details of the keyhole and collar (adjust with hooks/eyes), but I think the photo isn't very good:

As I said, I tried to comb my hair properly and make the buns correctly, but I think it din't work out very nice, what's more, I've added a thin netting to keep the buns in place. Although I have to consider that my head is quite small and thin and enormous buns would look very stupid on me (sorry for my sick face, I was feeling very ill):

Here is a little detail of the skirt of the gown to show how the shape would be approximately. I know it should be slightly bloused over the belt at the waist, but as I said it was difficult to put right with this awful belt. I'll improve it when the new belt arrives:

And finally, here you can see how the gown slits up the sides to just below my knee. At first I didn't have this part done, but now it's finished:

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Leia expert (yet), but I think it looks good so far! You already said that you will improve the blousing of the top when you receive the proper belt, which is good because it doesn't look quite right in the pics. I also like your buns Smile I believe that your hood might be a slight bit too long.

EDIT: Is that a seam on top of your sleeves? I hope not...
Pandorachaan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your opinion!! I can't wait to get my new belt to try everything on properly!

rusope wrote:

EDIT: Is that a seam on top of your sleeves? I hope not...

Maybe in the photos it looks like there's a seam (I suppose it's because I couldn't get right the correct shape of the gown with that belt), but I can say that there isn't any seams on the top of the sleeves Very Happy

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandorachaan wrote:

However, I confess that I feel very nervous and scared of the feedback I might get, because that day it was very bad for my (I was actually sick with a virus), and I could not get my gown put on right or comb my hair correctly...

Aww I hope you are feeling better and don't be afraid of feedback. That's why we are all here to help each other out and encourage each other to improve our skills. We all have things we need to improve on.

I just got my ANH Senatorial Leia approved and I'll tell you this, this dress seems really simple but to get the right shape is a pain in the butt and don't even get me started on the fabric.

I think you are off to a great start. I'd love to see some better pictures but it looks like everything is headed in the right direction. This might be me being nit picky, but the collar looks a little baggy in the back and isn't fit very close to your neck. When you have a chance, see if you can get someone to take a photo of the back of the gown.
Pandorachaan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback, Ladysolo14. Your words were very kind and make me feel a bit better. I really appreciate that!

ladysolo14 wrote:
This might be me being nit picky, but the collar looks a little baggy in the back and isn't fit very close to your neck. When you have a chance, see if you can get someone to take a photo of the back of the gown.

Regarding the collar, maybe in the photos looks a little baggy because it is not put on correctly, although I think it was a good idea to make it a bit bigger so I could put my head in with the buns. What do you think about this option?

I will try to make new photos of the back of the gown when I feel slightly better Leia Buns
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, but ladysolo14 is right, the collar is too loose. It should be really close to the neck, like a turtleneck sweater. The opening in the back then allows you to still put it over your head.

I now saw another issue: I think the hood is not attached correctly. It should be sewn into the seam attaching the collar to the dress, starting about 2 inches in front of the (imagined) shoulder line and ending right at the closure in the back.

Sorry for being nit-picky as well Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're off to a great start, but I am a bit concerned about a) that the dress won't be long enough once you drape it over the belt, b) that the fabric will be too stiff and thick for it, and c) that your dress isn't self-lined? At least it doesn't appear so to me.
But the overall shape looks good, so hopefully you can get it to lay as it should.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Pandorachaan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again! It has been a while since my last post over here. As I said before, I've got a virus and I'm feeling very ill, but that hasn't stop me and I have been working a little bit on my costume when I have been feeling better.

I just wanted to show the progress of my belt to make sure that I'm going in the right direction. I have used the handy belt guide from the RL forums to make the shape of the belt. However, the plates aren't attached yet, but it would look like this approximately:

What do you think? Is the spacing look okay? I would appreciate it if you guys could give me some feedback as soon as posible to go to my local leather workshop and finish it!

At first, I was going to use another belt that I bought online, but the shape wasn't appropriated so Ladysolo14 advised me to remove those metal plates and do another belt with the correct shape, just like she did so I'm concerned that the size of the plates are okay (basically because we have got the same ones and hers was approvable) Leia Buns
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good to me. Smile Wouldn't mind less mirror effect on the plates though. Wink

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Pandorachaan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it definitely looks okay? Would my belt be approvable? Can I proceed and stick the plates on? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: