Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8561644baeb4af485f6c3aa61e1e1fbdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Kanan Jarrus (Rebels Seasons 3 - Approved!) WIP
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Other Named Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spectre One (Jared Crane)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Kanan Jarrus (Rebels Seasons 3 - Approved!) WIP Reply with quote

UPDATE - June-2017
As of 06/16/17 My Kanan Jarrus Season 3 Costume was approved, and I am now an official Rebel Legion Member Smile

May-2017
Around February of 2017 I decided to reroute my primary focus to completing my Season 3/4 Kanan prior to finishing my Season 1/2 version. Progress went full speed for about 3 months on making the adjustments, creating the new parts and I've finally got to a point where I felt comfortable submitting my application to become an approved member on 05/29.
Current Status: APPROVED!

Below are some shots of a recent photoshoot I did with several other SW friends, some of which are already RL approved, others whom are working towards approval Smile

Season 3 & 4 plans:
1) Create Leg/Boot Armor Completed 04/06/17

2) Update Gloves Completed 05/01/17

3) Work on acquiring or sewing season 3 variant shirt. Completed 05/10/17

4) Create mask. Completed, Acquired white out contacts for no mask variant

5) Wig Completed 05/20/2017

6) Dye Pants (Ended up buying new darker pants) Completed 05/19/2017

7) Update Silver belt attachments, Current: EVA, New: 3D Printed Completed, 05/25/17

8 ) Create Com-link - (updated 05/01/17 - In Progress)

Sept-2016
I recently completed the first draft of my first cosplay ever which was Kanan Jarrus (Season 1). I completed it for Salt Lake Comic Con 2016. While I was there, I met several people from Rebel Legion, Mando Mercs, and 501st, along with a handful of other random SW cosplayers, I befriended a lot of them and it was easily one of the best experiences of my life, especially for my first time every cosplaying as well as costume creating, and to be completely honest, being even the slightest bit crafty in general.

I spent about a total of 8 months on my costume with the first 4 months being strictly focused on research and watching several tutorials and taking several notes and pre-planning exactly what I wanted to do. All of my cosplay, except for my pants (and underrooooos, and socks) were created from scratch.

My Armor (complete arm, hand, shoulder, and chest) is made of 3/8” EVA Foam, leather belt straps, ½” EVA Foam, elastic, and Velcro. . No templates used, just eyeballed it, and a lot of trial and error.

My belt is made from several pieces of leather belts, ½” EVA Foam, very small craft foam, metal fasteners and random pieces of hardware for support.

Holster is made of 3/8” EVA foam.

DL-18 blaster is made from ½” EVA Foam, thin Craft Foam, and Wood, (also done from scratch with no templates).

Boots are boot covers sewn by my wife (who had just gotten into sewing a week prior to me asking her to sew them) I’m very proud of her. Attached to an old pair of dress shoes.

Gloves are fingerless gloves, with one having 3/8” EVA Foam armor piece.

Kneepads, created 1 day before the Con. Cut in half ½” EVA foam, with elastic straps.

Shirt….. Well. This was a pain in the butt. Colors weren’t easy to find and the two we found we were so unhappy with, that we ended up with a single tone shirt for Comic Con, with plans to completely redo. Shirt, again sewn by my amateur seamstress wife is olive green with one black sleeve. Collar is in horrible condition as a result of the skill level needed and us not using any sort of template.

Lightsaber. Two Versions.

1) **Updated Feb, 2017** Saber Forge ASP, almost exact replica, full blown electronics sounds, etc.

2) Accurate representation: Made from scratch by myself, using PVC Pipe/Fittings, Craft Foam, metal plumbing fittings and metal hardware. Light saber accurately splits the emitter from the body of the hilt to attached to belt, and can be reconnected (empty, no electronics or blade attached)

Season 1 & 2
1) Either acquire the shirt from someone else, or attempt to locate, or dye fabric that matches the colors of shirt and attempt to sew again. In Progress as of 04/2017

2) Redo Knee Pads completely. Completed 09/17/16

3) Redo Holster. Completed 09/17/16

4) Redo top portion of DL-18 Blaster with a more secure connection. Completed 05/21/17

5) Create a new Shoulder piece for ability to convert costume to season 2 variant.

While creating my first cosplay ever, I also created my second which was my wife’s Sabine Wren, season 1, which I was quiet proud of as well Smile
More post to come as I continue on this amazing cosplay journey.

Here are some shots of my progress so far.

Best full shot I've got so far:

Close up armor shot

Lightsaber:

DL-18:

Boots:

Belt and Holster: (Wasn't really sure how to get a good shot of this lol

Last edited by Spectre One (Jared Crane) on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:34 pm; edited 12 times in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... I'm looking for assistance/help/guidance from anyone that ends up reading this that has the ability to help.

Again, this is my very first Cosplay, so I don't know all the ins and outs of the best way to acquire things. I'm having a real hard time locating fabric of the correct color for my shirt. At this point. Because my wife is an amateur seamstress, and I've sewn one thing my entire life. I'm actually leaning towards procurement, and paying someone to make me a shirt so that it's of high quality.

Not sure how easy it would be to find someone, so I'm also looking for any help on where I may be able to find fabrics to match the very specific pallet of Kanan's shirt. I've checked the local Jo-Anns and found something really close but it was in a flannel, and that's the last thing I want to cosplay in lol. Hoping to find a knit, or like a polyblend, worst case cotton I guess would be ok, preferably something "light".

Here are the two colors at least I think. The reference photo I found doesn't actually say what the 112 and 133 are. It's obvious they are pantone, but it looks like there are several variants of pantone. Again, I'm so amateur at this, I have no idea what I'm even talking about right now Smile **HALP MEH PAHLEEESE!**

I feel like the fabric I have for my current shirt is pretty close to the 112.... but it seems like it should be lighter... not sure if you can dye fabric lighter lol.

Anyways, here is the reference sheet I created.

Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally don't do face characters but everyone and their Wookie here keeps telling me to do Kanan so in the event you ever make these costumes for sale let us know. Your kit looks pretty good man
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find fabrics with natural fibers it is fairly easy to dye them another color. But no, you cannot dye something lighter, only darker.

As I have never needed to look for Kanan fabrics myself, I'm hoping some of our Kanan costumers will see your thread and comment on it as they might have some advice for you.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ky-Wan Zann wrote:
I generally don't do face characters but everyone and their Wookie here keeps telling me to do Kanan so in the event you ever make these costumes for sale let us know. Your kit looks pretty good man

You look like you definitely fit the bill to do so, so it makes sense why everyone keeps telling you to do so! I've actually been thinking of making them for sale eventually, but I want to wait until it's perfected. Also, thank you very much, I really appreciate the compliment more than you may know, especially since it's my first cosplay!

Lora Skywalker wrote:
If you find fabrics with natural fibers it is fairly easy to dye them another color. But no, you cannot dye something lighter, only darker.

As I have never needed to look for Kanan fabrics myself, I'm hoping some of our Kanan costumers will see your thread and comment on it as they might have some advice for you.

I've never dyed fabric before, but that may be the route to go. Thank you for the input.

I'd love if some approved Kanan's could provide input, it would definitely be extreamly helpful.

Do you (or anyone reading this) know of any good online sources for fabric? (if that's even a thing) because I'm striking out locally Sad

-Overall update-
Ran out of EVA foam, got more on order, as soon as it comes in I plan on:
- Reworking my Knee pads to higher quality
- Reworking my Holster to higher quality.
- Remake forearm armor for more comfortable fit.
Josek Lomex (Caleb Pennock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His colors were very hard to match i agree, especially because his shirt is different colors in different reference shots! For mine I took my phone with me to Joans and walked around holding it up to fabric until i thought i found a close enough color match. I had one of the local costume makers around where i live make my shirt because of all the details in the strips and the collar.

I wish i knew the exact names of the colors i purchased for mine but i didn't think that far ahead. If you want i can send you some color swabs from the leftover fabric, just Pm your address. IF you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message about anything!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josek Lomex wrote:
His colors were very hard to match i agree, especially because his shirt is different colors in different reference shots! For mine I took my phone with me to Joans and walked around holding it up to fabric until i thought i found a close enough color match. I had one of the local costume makers around where i live make my shirt because of all the details in the strips and the collar.

I wish i knew the exact names of the colors i purchased for mine but i didn't think that far ahead. If you want i can send you some color swabs from the leftover fabric, just Pm your address. IF you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message about anything!

Thanks for the response! Just checked out your WIP thread. AWESOME work on your Kanan, it turned out amazing, and congrats on the approval as well.

I'm definitely going to take you up on that offer, I'll be shooting you a PM here shortly. Thanks again!
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome and yes keep me posted if you do, assuming I'll still have long hair...doing Aragorn from LOTR for years is beginning to take it's toll and the hair needs a restart ya know Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a new batch of EVA Foam on Friday so got a couple things updated over the weekend.

I wasn't too happy with my holster the first go around, and after I got a lot of practice with EVA, I knew I could produce better results so I made a new one and am very happy with the results.

I also redid my knee pads, as I created them the day before the con since I had forgotten about then. Spending just a bit more quality time on them made a big difference.

Pictures of both before and afters below.

I also worked on my lightsaber hilt some more, but not done enough to show yet.

AliyaJ (Aliya Buist)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spectre One wrote:

I also redid my knee pads, as I created them the day before the con since I had forgotten about then. Spending just a bit more quality time on them made a big difference.

This happened several times on my Boushh costume! Funny how you can be so focused on a project you forget half of it.

Great work so far!! Keep on, keepin' on! Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update since I've been MIA on the forums and I'm currently waiting on a few things to move forward on my adventure on working towards approval.

- Ended up cutting my hair, so I've ordered a wig from Arda, which they were currently out of stock on the one I needed, so currently waiting on that to arrive.

- Recently ordered ASP parts from Saber Forge for a new lightsaber as it doesn't look like they have any intention on selling the Rebel as a full saber in the near future if ever. Guessing I'll see this in 3-6 weeks?

- In conversation in getting my Season 1&2, possibly season 3 shirts commissioned, but work won't start until after SWC, and be completed around May, so I've got quite the time frame before I can start looking at approval.

- Started drawing templates for Season 3 shin/knee armor this past weekend, going to do a run on EVA this coming weekend to see how it turns out.

- Side note, I've been pretty focus on my cosplay (which is not star wars related) for an upcoming convention in March, so I've been finalizing a lot of stuff for that, while I wait for things to come in.

That's it for now. Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I was a little worried what the outcome of my Saber forge purchase was going to be with all the bad reviews and experience's I had heard/read. Overall my experience turned out good.

Cons:

- The no longer offer the Kanan Saber as a whole, so I had to ASP it and it's not an exact replica, but close enough.
    - I e-mailed their customer service 3 times, and did not receive a single response on my order.
    - Tried calling and wasn't able to get a hold of anyone
    - The sound is almost two loud and I can't tell if it's just mildly distorted sounding because it's too loud. I need to try and become more familiar with the Spark Color 2 Soundboard software to figure out how to lower the sound.
    - The version I got has the "double tactile low pro switch" which is two tiny buttons on one switch hole. and I have no idea how I am supposed to install it so it stays in the hilt. (i.e. it's installed, it works, but there is no way [that I can tell] to have the button stick into the hole of the switch plate, so it's currently in there loose.

Pros:
    - I got it EXTREMELY fast. I was expecting 5-7 weeks, and it arrived in 2 weeks.
    - Everything works perfectly, other than the notes stated above
    - The saber is beautiful.
    - I got a bunch of freebies with it (belt clip, saber stand, spears extension).
    - Overall, I'm very happy with what I got for the amount of money I spent.

Didn't have much time to take a ton of pictures, but here is a nice one I got after I first put it all together.

ScruffyScoundrel ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Saberforge ASP. I glued my switch in with a dab of E6000. It holds great and can be pried out if I ever want to change it.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScruffyScoundrel wrote:
I have a Saberforge ASP. I glued my switch in with a dab of E6000. It holds great and can be pried out if I ever want to change it.

Excellent. I will give this a shot. Thank you very much for the advice!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally moving along, changed primary goal to get my season 3 finished and approved first, before my season 1 and 2 (really the only thing stopping me is the shirts at this point).

Just recently finished my Season 3 Leg and boot armor. Was originally working on making it out of EVA, but I didn't have thin enough EVA and when I took my first stab at it, it turned out way too thick. Switched gears and after some advice from a couple other Kanan's on the forums (thanks again gentleman) I purchased some Snake Guards. did some modifications, and repainted them. Created the smaller boot armor out of craft foam. Plastidipped, painted, and added some elastics to fasten them to the boots and they were good to go. Very happy with the outcome.

Couple more steps before I move towards submitting my application. which include getting my wig fixed and getting my shirt completed. Hoping to be ready within a month or two.

Shown on my season 1 boots, which will be replaced for all brown ones for season 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Other Named Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: