Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=05da12a595c0ae555760879a0838e7c4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Resistance pilot build and questions!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Resistance pilot build and questions! Reply with quote

Iím about to attempt the ridiculous and try and get a Resistance pilot done before the movie opens next week.

(By the by, who are the current Pilot judges and who are the resistance Pilot experts?)

Questions first! Mostly about boobs so bear with me.

- I want to know if itís acceptable for the jumpsuit to have a small boob dart that will be hidden by the vest just to make the suit fit better.

- So Resistance Pilot vest and boobs. Ever the problem with flak vests. I borrowed someone elseís vest for reference, and suffice to say it didnít even make it past the girls. I already found a few places where I need to scale so it sits slightly lower on me, but what about the sides? Iím assuming even for a generic pilot having your sizing and side spacing more akin to Snapís vest than Poeís or Jessís is acceptable?

- Whatís the common consensus for the material to use for the vest? Iíve seen everything from poplin to an almost vinyl-looking fabric, but whatís the most popular?

"I dislike smiling. It contorts the face."
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you with the questions about the gals, but fabric, yes:

I believe I recall the originals were:
1000D Cordura Deep Orange color (CTD1000 Orange)

Most popular alternative is Solar Cherry from JoAnns (because wearing heavy Cordura suits in SoCal is flirting with heatstroke, and it looks close). https://www.joann.com/solarium-solar-54in-cherry/1887850.html

I known Dawn has made a couple of these, and could probably answer questions. Another good resource is Danny Chen, the former RLSC CO. (he sells them ready to wear at his Etsy shop, too (Cospl88))
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it fits you, and it looks accurate when it's all on, then that's all that matters. Do what you have to do to get it to sit right and comfortably on you. You might ask some of the other female members who have the Resistance X-wing pilot suit and see what they did to get it to fit them properly.

As for the vest material... I think that mine is poplin but I can't swear to that, I remember that partway through the construction the material was changed, and I can't remember if the material was changed to poplin or if it was changed from poplin to something else. I'd try asking Philonius what he recommends, he makes arguably the best Resistance X-wing pilot suits in the RL so he would probably be a good source of information.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked about vest fabric, not flightsuit fabric Kalani. Wink

And thanks Alex!

"I dislike smiling. It contorts the face."
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Rachel, I have taken a big step back and will not be doing any future Rebel Pilot costumes, but I kinda' wanted to do a Resistance Pilot at one point.

I would also recommend contacting Philonius as a good source.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miana wrote:
I asked about vest fabric, not flightsuit fabric Kalani. Wink

DON'T TRIFLE ME WITH DETAILS!

Wink

LOL

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: