Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0d8d3df299f45706669b4fe26fe601a3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ahsoka Tano Clone Wars Legacy Build Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CiaoBirdie ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Ahsoka Tano Clone Wars Legacy Build Thread Reply with quote

Hi everyone! My name's Kara and I'll very soon be starting on my costume build of the Clone Wars Legacy version of Ahsoka Tano, so I figured I'd post the thread here to update as I go along. This will be my first costume in the Rebel Legion!

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/swfanon/images/2/2a/Ahsoka_D_Concept.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151005054315

It appears that currently there is no costume standard for this version of Ahsoka, but I've seen another user post here that this is able to get approval, and have also checked in with the admins of my local base (Alderaan Base) who have also confirmed this. They have also encouraged me to help write up some of the standards for this costume going forward with the assistance of some other Base members who have written costume standards as well.

Right now I have all the materials for the lekku and will be starting there first. For those interested, I'll be using the lekku tutorial posted by CallMeSnips (NineLivesCosplay on Facebook).
Past (Audrey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to this built!

I'm currently making a Clone Wars S3-5 version, and am using that same tutorial for the lekku. We'll see how this goes.
bekahsoka (Bekah Platzer)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! Just saw this and thought I'd say hello and that I am also working on this version of Ahsoka! You do need at least two photos for reference, and luckily the book cover works as one. Although that isn't a great one to use for reference for everything since it was modeled a little different for the book style. I have a lot of photos for detail (including the footage shown at celebration that shows the small detail of her seams) and what to do for certain parts if you need any help! Also if you have anything please post I'd love to know!

I've talked to who would approve this costume when finished, it's just a matter of when. How far have you gotten so far?

Edit: I'm in PA so we could always try and meet up and work on this together one day!!
CiaoBirdie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyn Erso wrote:
Hi there! Just saw this and thought I'd say hello and that I am also working on this version of Ahsoka! You do need at least two photos for reference, and luckily the book cover works as one. Although that isn't a great one to use for reference for everything since it was modeled a little different for the book style. I have a lot of photos for detail (including the footage shown at celebration that shows the small detail of her seams) and what to do for certain parts if you need any help! Also if you have anything please post I'd love to know!

I've talked to who would approve this costume when finished, it's just a matter of when. How far have you gotten so far?

Edit: I'm in PA so we could always try and meet up and work on this together one day!!

Hi! I have quite a few reference photos but i'd love to see what you have for some of the more detailed shots and if you have any tips I'd really appreciate it, and of course i'd be happy to share any tips and tricks I find along with way! Smile . I've been writing up a document regarding the details of the costume (maybe to contribute to official requirements later on) that I could send to you if you want, it would be great to have input from someone else!

I haven't started it just yet, I've mainly just been doing research, but I hope to start the lekku over the next couple weeks.
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely send me what you wrote I'd love to see what you've found! If you want you can find me on Facebook, using my real name next to my screen name, which would be a lot easier to really talk about this and share things!
CiaoBirdie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyn Erso wrote:
Definitely send me what you wrote I'd love to see what you've found! If you want you can find me on Facebook, using my real name next to my screen name, which would be a lot easier to really talk about this and share things!

Sounds good, will do!
CiaoBirdie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update: I've got the beginnings of the headpiece. I've made the duct tape cap and taken the proper sizing measurements for the "horns" and lekku and drawn up templates for those. I'll post pictures this weekend - I don't really have anything super interesting to show just yet - when I start on the expanding foam phase.
CiaoBirdie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some progress on the headpiece! Made the duct tape mold of my head, which looks a bit like a fancy swim cap if you ask me Laughing

Major shout out to CallMeSnips (aka NineLives Cosplay), whose tutorial I'm using, for making me a custom headpiece template because I am very Photoshop inept!! I edited the template a little bit, traced it onto thicker paper, cut it into sections (the "horns" and then the side lekku), transferred the horns section onto cardboard and then attached that to the duct tape base.

I applied the expanding foam tonight as well. I completely covered the horns, hairline, ears, and halfway down the back of the head. One recommendation I can make is don't try to layer it on all at once. That big mess on the side is where a whole chunk of it fell off. What I did was wait for it to harden just a little bit (spraying with water speeds up this process) and then add the next layer since the foam sticks to itself really well. Of course I will post more pictures once I start carving it tomorrow after work.
If anyone has any tips about carving foam that would be great - I'm a little nervous about messing up Razz

I also drafted a pattern for the top from I shirt I had that fits the same way Ahsoka's should fit.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. Smile The headpiece is always hard.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
CiaoBirdie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Good luck. Smile The headpiece is always hard.

Thank you, it's definitely a challenge!
Zlata ()

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also love to build this costume, so if anyone has clear reference images they would be willing to send me, that would be awesome! All the ones I've found are very small files that get blurry when I try to enlarge them. Also, I know the concept art is more colorful that the book covers-- have costumes colors been discussed/decided? The concept art round-abouts of her look like her top is very dark blue and the pants are sort of olive-green, but everything looks dark brown on the books.

For carving the insulation foam, I suggest using a serrated knife to cut out the main shape and then using sandpaper to get a more accurate, smoother surface. Make sure to wear a mask and goggles to protect your eyes and lungs from particles! The good thing about this method is that if you do mess up, you can just spray more foam on top.

Last edited by Zlata () on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Leroni (Leroni)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
you are doing a great job with the Montral.
For the one that are not so talented i have a link to lady doing montrals:

http://twilekparadise.com/product-category/togruta-props/

yours
Leroni
KJO DMerchOr 2015/2016
Wretched Hive DMerchO 2014/2015
Twilek - Saga

Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zlata wrote:
I'd also love to build this costume, so if anyone has clear reference images they would be willing to send me, that would be awesome! All the ones I've found are very small files that get blurry when I try to enlarge them. Also, I know the concept art is more colorful that the book covers-- have costumes colors been discussed/decided? The concept art round-abouts of her look like her top is very dark blue and the pants are sort of olive-green, but everything looks dark brown on the books.

For carving the insulation foam, I suggest using a serrated knife to cut out the main shape and then using sandpaper to get a more accurate, smoother surface. Make sure to wear a mask and goggles to protect your eyes and lungs from particles! The good thing about this method is that if you do mess up, you can just spray more foam on top.

Hi there! So to help you with the colors, concept art I believe will not be accepted as references to be approved with so you would need to show proof of the colors you use with the 360 and book cover. I personally will be doing the vest black and the pants an olive-green. For the vest you can tell they are the same color as the gauntlets, which to me look black, and it has been stated that when animated navy blue means black. Also basing it off of other Rebels and Clone Wars costumes I would say it's a leather or leather-like material. I'm using the book for the com-pad only really, since it doesn't give much detail.

Hope any of this helps Smile
CiaoBirdie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I'm almost at the painting stage of the headpiece. I promise I will post photos this weekend - I've been a bit quiet on here because of working full time.

BUT I do have a question that hopefully some of you could answer. For Ahsoka's top, it appears to be zip-up in the front, but you can't quite tell 100% that's a zipper. How should this be done? Can a visible zipper be put in or not? I've seen someone's progress photos of this costume who put in a clearly visible and functional zipper, but I wasn't sure if that will be approvable or not.
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CiaoBirdie wrote:
Update: I'm almost at the painting stage of the headpiece. I promise I will post photos this weekend - I've been a bit quiet on here because of working full time.

BUT I do have a question that hopefully some of you could answer. For Ahsoka's top, it appears to be zip-up in the front, but you can't quite tell 100% that's a zipper. How should this be done? Can a visible zipper be put in or not? I've seen someone's progress photos of this costume who put in a clearly visible and functional zipper, but I wasn't sure if that will be approvable or not.

I personally wouldn't, because you can't easily see it so there's no proof of it being there. Maybe try to overlap the gold trimming on top of the zipper to hide it? Or I was thinking of maybe trying buttons or clasps to keep it closed to more easily hide them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: