Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=76a733085e8ae2448acbc7902ac11ed3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ahsoka Tano Clone Wars Legacy Build Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CiaoBirdie ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyn Erso wrote:
CiaoBirdie wrote:
Update: I'm almost at the painting stage of the headpiece. I promise I will post photos this weekend - I've been a bit quiet on here because of working full time.

BUT I do have a question that hopefully some of you could answer. For Ahsoka's top, it appears to be zip-up in the front, but you can't quite tell 100% that's a zipper. How should this be done? Can a visible zipper be put in or not? I've seen someone's progress photos of this costume who put in a clearly visible and functional zipper, but I wasn't sure if that will be approvable or not.

I personally wouldn't, because you can't easily see it so there's no proof of it being there. Maybe try to overlap the gold trimming on top of the zipper to hide it? Or I was thinking of maybe trying buttons or clasps to keep it closed to more easily hide them.

Yeah that's what I was initially thinking but I wanted to confirm. My plan was like you said putting a zipper but then using the gold trim to disguise it and secure it with snaps or something.
bekahsoka (Bekah Platzer)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CiaoBirdie wrote:
Jyn Erso wrote:
CiaoBirdie wrote:
Update: I'm almost at the painting stage of the headpiece. I promise I will post photos this weekend - I've been a bit quiet on here because of working full time.

BUT I do have a question that hopefully some of you could answer. For Ahsoka's top, it appears to be zip-up in the front, but you can't quite tell 100% that's a zipper. How should this be done? Can a visible zipper be put in or not? I've seen someone's progress photos of this costume who put in a clearly visible and functional zipper, but I wasn't sure if that will be approvable or not.

I personally wouldn't, because you can't easily see it so there's no proof of it being there. Maybe try to overlap the gold trimming on top of the zipper to hide it? Or I was thinking of maybe trying buttons or clasps to keep it closed to more easily hide them.

Yeah that's what I was initially thinking but I wanted to confirm. My plan was like you said putting a zipper but then using the gold trim to disguise it and secure it with snaps or something.

That's probably what I'll try first. With zippers it's best to stay away from exposed ones unless it's obvious on the actual costum, and with this one nothing is obvious haha.
CiaoBirdie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright! Time to get this thread caught up since I've been neglecting it while waiting to get approval on my Leia costume (which I did!)

I had a hard time with the first headpiece method using the expanding foam, and decided to use the upholstery foam method which worked MUCH better. At least for me, the materials were a bit better to work with. Here are some in-progress build photos. I used upholstery foam at 1/2 inch thick, covered in Lycra fabric, then painted liquid latex, and painted using acrylic paint.

https://i.imgur.com/lKlL2Qi.png

https://i.imgur.com/aty7630.png

https://i.imgur.com/NKj3tq5.png

And here are the final finished photos. It needs a few touch ups here and there to the design, and I actually forgot to add the latex to the paint so it started to crack, but other than fixing those things it's finally done!

https://i.imgur.com/uWdTGEz.png

I'm about 70% on a magma trooper right now so I'm going to try and bang that out and get approved but I'm going to work more on this as well while I do that and try to do a new pattern for Ahsoka's top (my first one got accidentally thrown out by my mom - oops!) and really start to make some progress on this costume because I've been lacking so badly.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: