Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=62086dc18a1da10b856df1db770dc7baMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New standard - Jyn Erso - DISCUSSION
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: New standard - Jyn Erso - DISCUSSION Reply with quote

Published 14 December, 2016

Quote:
** This standard is subject to updates in the near future. **

Jyn Erso Basic Costume:

1. Shirt - dark slate or bluish grey with inset yoke collar and 3/4 length sleeves. The collar is high in back and flaps open, with the "top" flap being the left side flap (point of flap on the right). The inset shape is squared at the center front. Fabric appears to be linen-like.
2. Pants - black stretch cotton/denim with a wide waistband with tab, and 4 seams: down the center front and back of the leg, as well as the usual inseam and outer leg seam. Just below the knee is a tab detail with grey/white strap, a military style slide buckle and two tan rectangles; below that there is a series of 8 pin tucks on the outside front quarter of the leg that narrow at the ankle. Pants reach just to the tops of the boots.
3. Vest - medium brown color with quilted back and two front pockets. Strap detail with hook on right side. Strap detail without hook on left side and inside of vest. Flap on left side partially covering left strap detail. Short stand up collar at back of neck. Hem does not reach to waist and has a "card device" on the left side. Arm holes are very fitted. Lining is red.
4. Boots - plain dark brown combat boots with two flaps covering the laces. Top flap is held closed with hidden fasteners; bottom flap is cut out on the outside corners and has a latch buckle similar to a ski boot buckle. The buckle's bail (wire piece) is attached with a loop of leather sewn into the flap. (original boots are likely brown Frye 'Veronica combat' boots)
5. Gloves - tan fingerless gloves similar to the Black Diamond 'Stone' gloves, with the strap altered to remove the logo and replace the velcro with a snap. Both gloves have a circular detail added to the back of the hand; the left is stitching only, the right has the circle cut out and replaced by two differently toned half circles of darker leather. Gloves have been weathered darker than the original tan.
6. Belt - weathered black/brown leather with 4 rivets/snaps at left front and left back. Belt opens at left hip [actual fastening TBD but appears to be hidden and square]. Belt has holster with leg strap at the right hip that closes with snaps. There are 3 stud/post portion of the snaps and a single cap/socket. The leg strap also has a keeper loop. The holster has a retention strap for the blaster.
7. Hair - longish bangs parted in the middle with layers framing the face, approximately chin length. Back of hair is gathered into a small bun at the nape of the neck.
8. Jyn's Blaster - BlasTech A-180 blaster (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story version), unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm
9. All items are weathered.

Optional items / Jedha version

1. Jacket - dark gray/green heavy cotton with tan/cream/yellow printed bar detail on the sleeves (ideally with a raised ink). Jacket is visible below the bottom of the vest but does not reach past top of hips. Sleeves reach just to the wrist and do not cover the gloves. There is a mandarin collar.
2. Vest pocket tools - two silver cylindrical items with clips. One is larger and more detailed than the other.
3. Scarf - long dark grey/black scarf, appears to have two corners rounded off. Scarf is long enough that both ends reach approximately to the knees when worn looped once around the neck. Fabric is somewhat stiff, not too drapey.
4. Kyber crystal necklace - a clear crystal on a leather cord.
5. Tonfa baton- Black and silver extendable baton/truncheon with tonfa handle, unless prohibited by local laws (Note, this is an item where a prop version is not significantly different from the real thing, which may require a weapons permit; please check local laws)
6. Socks - In some pictures, it looks like the socks are military surplus green; at any rate they are long enough to not show skin above the boots.

Proposed Standard Revision Updated 13 February, 2017
Jyn Erso Basic Costume:

1. Shirt
Dark slate or bluish grey with yoke collar and 3/4 length sleeves. The collar is high in back and flaps open, with the "top" flap being the left side flap (point of flap on the right). The flap is squared at the center front.

2. Pants

a. Pants are faded black (black, dark grey, or very dark blue accepted) cotton/denim with a wide high-waisted waistband with tab. Tab should line up with center front seam on the right leg. Pants have center front and back seams on each leg, in addition to the inseam and outer leg seam. Pants reach just to the tops of the boots.

b. Just below the knee is a grey/white/cream horizontal strap in a casing made of the same fabric as the pants. The strap is only visible outside the casing on the outside of each leg and has a black military style slide buckle and two tan/gray printed , embroidered, or suede rectangles on the front edge of the casing.

c. Below the strap and casing are at least 8 vertical pin-tucks on the outside front quarter of the leg that narrow at the ankle.

d. No visible pockets allowed.

3. Vest

a. Medium brown color, padded vest. Vest has two front pockets with three lines of decorative top-stitching. Vest front is topstitched with horizontal stitches approximately 3/8” to 1/2” (95 mm - 125 mm) apart and two vertical hand-stitched lines on each side. Stitching may be brown, ivory/cream, and/or yellow. Short stand up collar with topstitching at back of neck. Vest length comes to somewhere within the high-waisted waistband of the pants.

b. Back is quilted with rows of squares and narrower rectangles. Quilting should not touch the side seams of the vest and should extend from the waistband to roughly half way up the arm hole. Back of vest may be made of a different, thinner fabric than the front, but must be roughly the same color as the front.

c. Front of vest has two horizontal brown strips of webbing on either side of the chest above the pockets that are stitched down on the sides and in the center of each strip.

d. There are vertical strips of brown webbing on the insides and outsides of the front center edges of the vest with lengths of black 4-ribbed tubing/wiring attached. The outside right webbing strip has a screen-accurate hook at the top. The outside right side, inside right, and inside left have wire/tubing anchored near the top and bottom of the webbing strips. The outside left side wire/tubing is attached at the top and hangs down beyond the bottom of the webbing with a rounded black piece on the end.

e. There is a rectangular horizontal flap attached between the left pocket and left webbing strip. Flap is made of the same fabric as the front of the vest.

f. There is a card device is attached to the left side of the waistband. Card device is silver/gray with a red rectangular button.

g.
Lining is red with facing that is made of the same material as the front of the vest and has the same top stitching.

h. Waistband is ruched with similar top stitching as front of vest. [color=red]Waistband should be roughly 2.5"-3" (6 cm - 7 cm) wide.
Right side of waistband has two dark colored rectangular buckles/hooks.
h. Recommended: Vest has darker brown rectangular patch under the arm.

4. Boots

a. Plain dark brown combat boots with two matching leather flaps covering the laces. (Frye brand "Veronica Combat Boots" or similar.) Top flap is held closed with hidden fasteners. Bottom flap is cut out on the outside corners. Both flaps have top-stitching around the edges.

b. Bottom flap of boot has screen-accurate buckle. The buckle's bail (wire piece) is attached with a loop of leather sewn into the flap. The 'box' parts of the buckle are black and the 'wire' parts are silver.

c. Boots may have discrete inner zipper.

5. Gloves

a. Brown finger-less gloves similar to the Black Diamond 'Stone' gloves, with the strap altered to remove the logo and replace the Velcro with a snap. Gloves have been weathered darker than the original tan.

b. Straps should be roughly 1" (2.5 cm) wide and be secured with snaps. Straps have the finger-side corner cut off.

c. Both gloves have a circular detail added to the back of the hand. The left is stitching only. The right has the circle cut out and replaced by two differently toned half circles of darker leather.

6. Belt

a. Weathered black/brown leather with 4 rivets/snaps at left front and left back. Belt opens at left hip with overlapping leather for the closure.

b. Belt has a fitted holster with leg strap at the right hip that closes with snaps. There are 3 stud/post portion of the snaps and a single cap/socket. The leg strap also has a keeper loop. The holster has a retention strap for the blaster.

7. Hair
Long bangs (between cheek bone and shoulder length) parted in the middle with layers framing the face. Back of hair is gathered into a small bun at the nape of the neck. If a wig or extensions are used, they must be high quality and appear like real hair.

8. Blaster
BlasTech A-180 blaster (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story version), unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm.

9. Vest pocket tools

a. At least one pocket tool is required for approval

b. Code Cylinder: a small pen-sized silver cylinder with a short silver clip
and/or

c. Comlink: a larger more detailed cylinder with a longer silver clip. Black body with silver ends.

10. All items are weathered.

Optional items / Jedha version

1. Jacket

a. Dull sage green, blue-green, or teal-gray heavy cotton jacket. Jacket is visible below the bottom of the vest but does not reach past top of hips. Sleeves reach just to the wrist and do not cover the gloves.

b. Jacket has tan/cream/yellow printed, suede, or embroidered bar detail on the sleeves.

c. Jacket has a mandarin collar.

2. Scarf
Long dark grey scarf with brown, purple, or blue undertones. Scarf is angled at the ends. Scarf is long enough that both ends reach approximately to the knees when worn looped once around the neck.

3. Kyber crystal necklace
A clear crystal on a leather cord.

4. Tonfa baton

a. Black and silver extendable baton/truncheon with tonfa handle. (Note, this is an item where a prop version is not significantly different from the real thing, which may require a weapons permit; please check local laws)

b. If tonfa baton is present, the belt should have a clip to hang the baton behind the holster.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Jyn Erso- Basic Costume Reply with quote

I'd like to propose these updates to the vest:

Commander Cody wrote:
Published 14 December, 2016

3. Vest - medium brown color nylon/acetate type material, padded with tack-quilted back and two front pockets. Vest Front topstitched with horizontal stitches, rows approx. 3/8" apart. Strap detail with hook on right side. Strap detail without hook on left side and inside of vest. Flap on left side partially covering left strap detail. Short stand up collar at back of neck. Hem does not reach to waist and has a "card device" on the left side. Arm holes are very fitted. Lining is red. Waistband ruched.

The quilting on the back is tack-quilted instead of machine-stitched lines.

The front has horizontal topstitching that is yellow or cream that's about 3/8" apart, and a few vertical, hand-sewn yellow rows.

I don't know what to call the two rectangular bits on the right side at the waistband. There's also the two brown 1" cotton tape pieces on either side of the chest.

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Jyn Erso- Basic Costume Reply with quote

Thank you for putting out that draft so quickly and thank you to everyone who contributed! I hope it's okay to add my thoughts here - I've been following the discussions here and also on the rpf-forum and studied online resources myself and tried to figure out certain details. I just "did not feel ready" to contribute earlier before having seen the movie and I did not expect the standards to be published so soon, I apologise.

* 3. vest I'd like to second some proposals by Leia / Vera, with some alterations or additions:
- vest padded [without any material named]
- vest front topstitched with horizontal stitches
[rows approx. 3/8'' apart; I'd leave the colour out since the bright new stitching in bright colours just doesn't seem right in my eyes; with weathering it looks rather brownish in my opinion]
- additional vertical, hand-sewn yellow rows, two on each side of the vest
- two dark coloured, small rectangular bits on the right side at the waistband, made of solid material like plastic or metal
- two horizontal brown cotton tape pieces on either side of the chest

* 1. shirt: I would leave out "Fabric appears to be linen-like" since there's also rough linen on the one hand and other fabrics that might have more of that look that aren's linen.

* 2. Pants: I would leave out the word "stretch".

* 5. gloves: tan to brown coloured.

* 8. blaster: does a blaster (or specifically that certain type) have to be mandatory? This might be difficult to get. And as Vera stated on the other thread, Jyn doesn't have it right at the beginning as a prisoner.

* Concerning Optional items / Jedha version:
1. Jacket: could it just say "tan / cream / yellow bar detail" - is it certain that the detail is printed? It is really hard to tell.

Colours and materials are still hard to track down in my opinion since they appear in various shades throughout the movie and on various pictures. One could even assume there were different versions of costume used and shown on various occasions and pictures.

XO of Austrian Garrison / 501st legion
rtdubz (Trey Walker)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the pants are a dark blue or black with green hues
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Base Command Liaison
Base Command Liaison

Medals: 17 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even we have have now temporary standard, we need to proceed with it in proper way.

Discussion about revisions will be open for one week (until 24. December 2016), after we will proceed with vote. Wink

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge | Rebel Legion Honorary Membership Officer
bekahsoka ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throughout the movie it is noticeable that her pants are blue, not black. I may be wrong but I thought that was agreed upon in the previous thread and the first standards had been updated?
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Base Command Liaison
Base Command Liaison

Medals: 17 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 3)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyn Erso wrote:
Throughout the movie it is noticeable that her pants are blue, not black. I may be wrong but I thought that was agreed upon in the previous thread and the first standards had been updated?

Yes, you are correct! Looks like copy/paste error ...

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge | Rebel Legion Honorary Membership Officer
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair wrote:
Jyn Erso wrote:

Yes, you are correct! Looks like copy/paste error ...

What if it only said "faded dark coloured" for the pants or "faded black/grey/dark blue", like it said in the update of 12/13/2016 here http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77273 ?
Or leave out the word "faded" since weathering is needed anyway?
I'm convinced that the look could be achieved by using either of these colours.

I saw the film twice so far, but I still can't track down some of the colours and details. Maybe it's just my incapability though.

XO of Austrian Garrison / 501st legion
bekahsoka ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing the movie and seeing it in person I went with blue because it matches better with the other pieces in my opinion. Weathering can give the same effect, but at the same time are we okay with having different Jyns having pant colors from black to blue? If so that's fine! I just want to make sure having such a difference is agreed upon.

Also after watching the movie four times I've found something on her vest that has been missed, since it didn't show up in any pictures previously. Below both her left and right arm holes are what someone found to be Alice Clips which are adaptors used in the military. Here's a link to an eBay source:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/251206903512?_mwBanner=1

There is no clear picture that I can find just yet from the movie, especially since it's only been out less than a week. But it's something that we should consider adding either to required or optional for the costume.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Jyn Erso- Basic Costume Reply with quote

AgnesAUT wrote:

* 2. Pants: I would leave out the word "stretch".

I guess stretch isn't strictly needed, though it did specify on the sign at CE that the pants were a stretch cotton.

Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
spectreseven ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for writing these standards up everyone! They are looking good so far. Here's my feedback:

I'm inclined to say that the pants description should say dark blue, because that's how it appears in the film, but if colors that appeared in photos and trailers before the film are allowed, then I think the "faded black/grey/dark blue" as @AgnesAUT suggested would work. In terms of the pintucks, depending on the size of the costumer's calves is it more important to have the right number of pintucks or to have them be the right size and begin and end in the correct place (front center to outside of calf)?

I'd leave out the material on the vest, but add the other suggestions that @Leia made. I might add that the mandarin collar has screen-accurate top stitching. I've got the red lining and the greeblies inside of my vest, and I think it improves the look, but I don't know if those need to be required if they won't be seen. Maybe those could be optional? Also I think the vest hem does hit at the waist, not above it. You can see that in these pictures:

In terms of the greeblies, Jyn always has the code cylinder in her pocket, right? So maybe that would should be required but the comlink should be optional.

I'm inclined specify that the gloves should be brown, not just a weathered tan.

I'm pretty sure she's always got her baton when she has her blaster, so I think those should be a package deal, unless prohibited by local law.

It might also be helpful for costumers to note that the pants are high-waisted, the top of the vest's waistband hits right around the top of the pants, and the jacket waistband starts at the bottom of the vest and extends below the pants' waistband.

Also, just in terms of where Jyn falls category-wise, I think she's probably a Rebel Supporter, not Fringe, right? **Semi-spoilers written in white, highlight to read**Maybe she was Fringe before they softened her character in reshoots, but they don't emphasize her criminal background too much in R1. She's a Rebel from ages 9-16 when she lives with Saw, and she's a Rebel for most of this film. She spends much more of her life as a Rebel than not.** Thoughts? I'm sure she's fine in either category, but I just wanted to throw that out there.
bekahsoka ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with @spectreseven that it should be stated that the pants are high-waisted since it's been clear that that's the case for a while now. Regarding the pintucks, I had 8 on mine but when it came time to sew them on we could only fit 6, because of the size of my legs. I personally feel they should be the right size rather than a certain number. With Leia's belt you're allowed more metal pieces if needed, so the same should apply here if you need less.

Also from what I've noticed in the movie her baton seems to not be with her in the last half. I may be wrong, but I could never see it as clearly as I could in the beginning. I'm seeing it again Tuesday so I'll try again to find it, but I think it should just be an optional item for now unless it's clear she always has it.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectreseven wrote:

It might also be helpful for costumers to note that the pants are high-waisted, the top of the vest's waistband hits right around the top of the pants, and the jacket waistband starts at the bottom of the vest and extends below the pants' waistband.

I agree, the vest waistband position changes between photos based on how she is standing, but never exceeds down past the pants waistband, so perhaps that should be the criteria, that it falls somewhere within the high-waisted waistband.

spectreseven ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyn Erso wrote:

Also from what I've noticed in the movie her baton seems to not be with her in the last half. I may be wrong, but I could never see it as clearly as I could in the beginning. I'm seeing it again Tuesday so I'll try again to find it, but I think it should just be an optional item for now unless it's clear she always has it.

You're probably right. I wasn't paying close attention to which weapons she had in the last third of movie. I'll have to do that when I go back this week!
spectreseven ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few proposed updates to the scarf part of the standard:

Scarf - Grey scarf with brown, purple, or blue undertones, made from a cotton-like material. Scarf should be angled at the ends with a horizontal seam midway up one side, and seams near each shoulder. Scarf is long enough that both ends reach approximately to the knees when worn looped once around the neck.

I'd like to have someone else confirm that there's seams on both shoulders though. There's definitely a seam near one shoulder (the seam that shifts around and can be seen near her neck for much of the film), and I'm pretty sure there's one on the other shoulder as well, but I might be wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: