Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d90b26d68862f31fb61fd5389f781640Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New standard - Jyn Erso - DISCUSSION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's actually a lot more blue in here than sage green. It lends itself to more of a teal color.

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
spectreseven ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there can be some flexibility in the the jacket color standards, if we take display colors into account. However, I did just see the movie again and I have to back up Vera. It does look rather blue on film, more than I remembered and far more than it looks in person.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the most recent feedback, it seems like this is what we are heading towards:

Quote:
Jyn Erso Basic Costume:

1. Shirt
Dark slate or bluish grey with yoke collar and 3/4 length sleeves. The collar is high in back and flaps open, with the "top" flap being the left side flap (point of flap on the right). The flap is squared at the center front.
2. Pants
a. Pants are faded black (black, dark grey, or very dark blue accepted) cotton/denim with a wide high-waisted waistband with tab. Tab should line up with center front seam on the right leg. Pants have center front and back seams on each leg, in addition to the inseam and outer leg seam. Pants reach just to the tops of the boots.
b. Just below the knee is a grey/white/cream horizontal strap in a casing made of the same fabric as the pants. The strap is only visible outside the casing on the outside of each leg and has a black military style slide buckle and two tan/gray printed , embroidered, or suede rectangles on the front edge of the casing.
c. Below the strap and casing are at least 8 vertical pin-tucks on the outside front quarter of the leg that narrow at the ankle.
3. Vest
a. Medium brown color, padded vest. Vest has two front pockets with three lines of decorative top-stitching. Vest front is topstitched with horizontal stitches approximately 3/8” to 1/2” (95 mm - 125 mm) apart and two vertical hand-stitched lines on each side. Stitching may be brown, ivory/cream, and/or yellow. Short stand up collar with topstitching at back of neck. Vest length comes to somewhere within the high-waisted waistband of the pants.
b. Back is quilted with rows of squares and narrower rectangles. Quilting should not touch the side seams of the vest and should extend from the waistband to roughly half way up the arm hole. Back of vest may be made of a different, thinner fabric than the front, but must be roughly the same color as the front.
c. Front of vest has two horizontal brown strips of webbing on either side of the chest above the pockets that are stitched down on the sides and in the center of each strip.
d. There are vertical strips of brown webbing on the insides and outsides of the front center edges of the vest with lengths of black 4-ribbed tubing/wiring attached. The outside right webbing strip has a screen-accurate hook at the top. The outside right side, inside right, and inside left have wire/tubing anchored near the top and bottom of the webbing strips. The outside left side wire/tubing is attached at the top and hangs down beyond the bottom of the webbing with a rounded black piece on the end.
e. There is a rectangular horizontal flap attached between the left pocket and left webbing strip. Flap is made of the same fabric as the front of the vest.

e. There is a card device is attached to the left side of the waistband. Card device is silver/gray with a red rectangular button.
f.
Lining is red with facing that is made of the same material as the front of the vest and has the same top stitching.
g. Waistband is ruched with similar top stitching as front of vest. [color=red]Waistband should be roughly 2.5"-3" (6 cm - 7 cm) wide.
Right side of waistband has two dark colored rectangular buckles/hooks.
h. Recommended: Vest has darker brown rectangular patch under the arm.
4. Boots
a. Plain dark brown combat boots with two matching leather flaps covering the laces. (Frye brand "Veronica Combat Boots" or similar.) Top flap is held closed with hidden fasteners. Bottom flap is cut out on the outside corners. Both flaps have top-stitching around the edges.
b. Bottom flap of boot has screen-accurate buckle. The buckle's bail (wire piece) is attached with a loop of leather sewn into the flap. The 'box' parts of the buckle are black and the 'wire' parts are silver.
c. Boots may have discrete inner zipper.
5. Gloves
a. Brown finger-less gloves similar to the Black Diamond 'Stone' gloves, with the strap altered to remove the logo and replace the Velcro with a snap. Gloves have been weathered darker than the original tan.
b. Straps should be roughly 1" (2.5 cm) wide and be secured with snaps. Straps have the finger-side corner cut off.
c. Both gloves have a circular detail added to the back of the hand. The left is stitching only. The right has the circle cut out and replaced by two differently toned half circles of darker leather.
6. Belt
a. Weathered black/brown leather with 4 rivets/snaps at left front and left back. Belt opens at left hip with overlapping leather for the closure.
b. Belt has a fitted holster with leg strap at the right hip that closes with snaps. There are 3 stud/post portion of the snaps and a single cap/socket. The leg strap also has a keeper loop. The holster has a retention strap for the blaster.
7. Hair
Long bangs (between cheek bone and shoulder length) parted in the middle with layers framing the face. Back of hair is gathered into a small bun at the nape of the neck. If a wig or extensions are used, they must be high quality and appear like real hair.
8. Blaster
a. BlasTech A-180 blaster (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story version), unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm.
9. Vest pocket tools
a. At least one pocket tool is required for approval
b. Code Cylinder: a small pen-sized silver cylinder with a short silver clip
and/or
c. Comlink: a larger more detailed cylinder with a longer silver clip. Black body with silver ends.

10. All items are weathered.

Optional items / Jedha version

1. Jacket
a. Dull sage green, blue-green, or teal-gray heavy cotton jacket. Jacket is visible below the bottom of the vest but does not reach past top of hips. Sleeves reach just to the wrist and do not cover the gloves.
b. Jacket has tan/cream/yellow printed, suede, or embroidered bar detail on the sleeves.
c. Jacket has a mandarin collar.
2. Scarf
Long dark grey scarf with brown, purple, or blue undertones. Scarf is angled at the ends. Scarf is long enough that both ends reach approximately to the knees when worn looped once around the neck.
3. Kyber crystal necklace
A clear crystal on a leather cord.
4. Tonfa baton
a. Black and silver extendable baton/truncheon with tonfa handle. (Note, this is an item where a prop version is not significantly different from the real thing, which may require a weapons permit; please check local laws)
b. If tonfa baton is present, the belt should have a clip to hang the baton behind the holster.
5. Socks
Military surplus green socks.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited the FIDM exhibit and was able to get detailed shots of the costume. The costume on display was definitely worn because you could see where there were rips in the seams and wearing on the bottom of the shoes etc. I would say that the jacket is definitely a green color but it is a faded green. The top is more of a gray but has blue tint to it and the Scarf has additional stitching on it that you couldn't see before because it was behind glass. I am adding a few of the photos here as reference .

In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."

Last edited by LeiaAurora () on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ladysolo14 ()
Legion Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jenna for updating the standard. I'll update the first post with the proposed revisions. We might be ready for a vote soon Smile
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladysolo14 wrote:
Thanks Jenna for updating the standard. I'll update the first post with the proposed revisions. We might be ready for a vote soon Smile

So I have a question (especially as I will be submitting this week with this costume) about the socks. I specifically went back to the theaters and watched 2 more showings. I could not find any scene in the film where you see her socks. In the standards, they are listed as military green. Does that really need to be included in the standard?
Can dark brown/black socks be worn and still be accepted? It's an easy thing but honestly, I could find no reference/shot of her socks anywhere so putting that in, even as an optional item, might be overkill. Just my opinion. Smile
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
ladysolo14 ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone called it out as having reference to it and I can't track the source of it now since so many people have worked on this standard. We can remove it but it is also optional so really doesn't make a difference to me one way or another. If someone wants to show us evidence this exists then we can keep it otherwise we'll remove it. If there is reference it doesn't hurt to have it in the standard as Lora stated, so it helps people be as accurate as they want to be.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:

Oooh, thanks for that! I thought that the bi-swing shoulder in the back would be square and continue down to the waist, but now we can see there is a back seam! I'm glad you posted this before I finalized my pattern!

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:

So I have a question (especially as I will be submitting this week with this costume) about the socks. I specifically went back to the theaters and watched 2 more showings. I could not find any scene in the film where you see her socks. In the standards, they are listed as military green. Does that really need to be included in the standard?
Can dark brown/black socks be worn and still be accepted? It's an easy thing but honestly, I could find no reference/shot of her socks anywhere so putting that in, even as an optional item, might be overkill. Just my opinion. Smile

I had the green socks in my original costume research thread because that's what it looked like they used in one of the early costume displays. It got copied over to the proposed standards. I don't think it actually needs to be in there, you don't see her socks in the movie as far as I can tell either.
ladysolo14 ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Socks removed from standard and updated first post. Any more changes?
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladysolo14 wrote:
Socks removed from standard and updated first post. Any more changes?

This may be getting ridiculously picky/specific but there is etching/markings on the crystal. Pretty sure it says, "Trust the Force" or a similar phrase. That would be the only thing I see missing from this. Other than that, I think it works.
eliste ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the tonfa- would a non-working one (like a 3D printed version) be acceptable? If so, do you mention that in the standard?

It might give those who would otherwise need a weapons permit options.
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question due to the fact that english is not my native language:
is the word "yoke collar" referring to the front of the shirt only, or does it also apply to the back of it as a kind of "shoulder yoke"?
Or put in another way: does it matter what the back of the shirt looks like since it is covered by the vest?

As far as I know, all the pictures only show the front of Jyn's shirt and it is clear to me how it should look like.
But I am not sure about the top back of the shirt - besides the fact that the collar should be high as stated in the standards.
I saw some "work in progress" pictures of Jyn costumes with a "horizontal seam" at the back or rather an "individual piece of pattern / fabric" at the top (a "shoulder yoke"?), from neckline / shoulders about 10-15 cm down ending with a horizontal seam. You can also see it in the McCall Pattern M7360 which some used, I guess.

I can't really tell from looking at the photos of costumes that already got approved.

Your help and clarification would be appriciated!

XO of Austrian Garrison / 501st legion
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eliste, I believe the concern is that a 3D printed tonfa still looks like a tonfa (and may even be legally considered a tonfa), so you probably shouldn't even carry that if your home location requires permits.

AgnesAUT, the standards are just regulating the collar piece itself, rather than the yoke line across the back. We do not yet have clear shots of the back of the shirt without the vest to confirm whether it is there or not, so shirts with and without the line/yoke in the back of the shirt would be accepted.

I noticed a gap in our proposed standards that we do not address pockets on the pants. Jyn's pants do not have pockets, and a number of our other standards including Han Solo and Jedi are clear about no pockets allowed, so I propose the following addition to the standards.

Quote:
2. Pants
a. Pants are faded black (black, dark grey, or very dark blue accepted) cotton/denim with a wide high-waisted waistband with tab. Tab should line up with center front seam on the right leg. Pants have center front and back seams on each leg, in addition to the inseam and outer leg seam. Pants reach just to the tops of the boots.
b. Just below the knee is a grey/white/cream horizontal strap in a casing made of the same fabric as the pants. The strap is only visible outside the casing on the outside of each leg and has a black military style slide buckle and two tan/gray printed , embroidered, or suede rectangles on the front edge of the casing.
c. Below the strap and casing are at least 8 vertical pin-tucks on the outside front quarter of the leg that narrow at the ankle.
d. No visible pockets allowed.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jenna for clarifying that!

XO of Austrian Garrison / 501st legion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: