Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fa8846cb9592f8bb08ecfbe0c7f97a00Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Lake Dress
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmongstTheJedi ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Padme Lake Dress Reply with quote

So my Mom said she is taking me to Star Wars celebration for my Senior trip. After much contemplation, I have finally settled on the cosplays I'd like to take and wear. One of them is Padme's Lake Dress. If at all possible, I'd like to have the dress up to standards.

I'm worried about the ribbon running down the front. I know I'll have to redo the armbands and add the necklace. Plus I will need to add the beading detail.

I am very new to sewing and dying fabric so making the dress from scratch wasn't the best option. I found this one and wanted to know if this would work as a base.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original does in fact have a ribbon running down the front, so in that it is accurate. As long as it fits and has accurate accessories and hair, I suspect this could work. I wish the purple wasn't quite so dark, but it's probably fine. I believe I have seen other people apply with this same vendor's costume lately.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
AmongstTheJedi ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
The original does in fact have a ribbon running down the front, so in that it is accurate. As long as it fits and has accurate accessories and hair, I suspect this could work. I wish the purple wasn't quite so dark, but it's probably fine. I believe I have seen other people apply with this same vendor's costume lately.

Oh Okay!! I just wanted to be sure on the ribbon. I couldn't see it very well when I was looking at references. But the photos I had were really blurry. As far as shoes go, is it just a lavender flat? I wasn't sure if there was a small heel or a different type of shoe.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our standards for the shoes are:

Quote:
7. Low heeled coordinating tailored pumps or flats (bluish lilac low-heeled satin mules are suggested).

So, a lavender flat would work well.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the transition of colors are a bit hard and the purple quite dark, but it also depends on what it will look like in real life. It's not a bad start.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Padme Lake Dress Reply with quote

AmongstTheJedi wrote:
So my Mom said she is taking me to Star Wars celebration for my Senior trip. After much contemplation, I have finally settled on the cosplays I'd like to take and wear. One of them is Padme's Lake Dress. If at all possible, I'd like to have the dress up to standards.

I'm worried about the ribbon running down the front. I know I'll have to redo the armbands and add the necklace. Plus I will need to add the beading detail.

I am very new to sewing and dying fabric so making the dress from scratch wasn't the best option. I found this one and wanted to know if this would work as a base.

I used this dress as a base for my lake dress. It looks darker in the photos then it does in real life. I had to make new armbands (the part that wraps around the arm, not the band itself) and also alter the neckline but its a good base.

I recommend you check out JoAnn's Fabrics. I lucked out and found the seed pearls, the iridescent string beads, the ribbon and everything else I needed at 60% off the normal cost. There was also a sale at DSW on flats a few weeks ago and I found a lavendar/pink pair of flats for under $20 that matched perfectly. Good luck on your submission. It's a beautiful costume.

In progress/planning: Hoth Leia, Clone Wars Padme Amidala
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
AlishaCorral (Alisha Corral)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to mention, it looks like the origianal costume has burnt orange on it, and the one you want to buy doesnt have orange on it.
GrimildeMalatesta ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the aliexpress dress is the color. The original one has just yellow along the sleeves. And in the back the colors of the chinese one are reversed (there's no yellow at the center of the original one, just lilac). They dyed it this way to usw pre-dyed fabric and to have the ribbon all in one color, while the silk ribbon at the edge should be dyed to match.
However, I've seen this aliexpress dress approved, even with the wrong colors.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I'm not a fan of that dress given how off the color transitions are. Confused

AmongstTheJedi ()

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased the dress, would the colors not make it approvable?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot say. Where it my choice alone, then no, I wouldn't approve it due to how off the transitions are. Other judges may feel different though regarding this issue and we always discuss it with each other.

padmeelaina ()

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this gown get approved ?
AmongstTheJedi ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did receive the gown and Will need to do a lot of modifications. The armbands and necklace have to be remade, I need to add the beading detail. I got this dress as a gift for graduation. I'm not sure if the dress works as a base anymore, but it's fun to wear regardless.

Eventually, I'll remake it entirely when I get a little more experienced with dying fabric. The hair style is also slowly killing my soul. Amadalia

I need to remake the hair pieces, these were rushed for a convention.
I'll probably put this project on hold and start from scratch come summer. Until then I'm going to work on getting my Mustafar Padme completed and my Rey. College is a time consumer. Very Happy

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You look great in it! This is one of my favorite costumes to wear.

In progress/planning: Hoth Leia, Clone Wars Padme Amidala
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, the gown cannot be approved anymore due to the wrong color transitions and an update to the standard, but it still looks nice and can always be used for conventions. Smile

If anyone ask then we do not recommend buying these dresses as they unfortunately tend to be dyed wrongly. If you do find a vendor that dyes them correctly we would be happy to know. It's a very beautiful costume.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: