Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9fb50b1517cc2e46df607a93bf6c06dcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Yadsmood's TFA Chewbacca Build Log
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yadsmood ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Qui-Ran Demera: Thanks Smile

@mattcamaro: I live on a busy street downtown, so taking a partially built Wookie outside would probably stop traffic and I don't want to do that, Razz but here is a picture of the pants under a window on a very overcast day.

If we compare it to some of the behind the scenes footage from outside (which should be some of the least color corrected images we can get)...

... I think it will be close enough.

I'll be spending a decent amount of today working on the build so I should have more updates either tonight or tomorrow.
mattcamaro (L. Matt Darling)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic

Wear the Hair!
yadsmood ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mattcamaro: No problem Smile

Not much to share for progress from yesterday. I tried making the lips and tongue more pink using some Smooth-On products and it didn't do exactly what I wanted so I ended up removing most of it. Now the lips and tongue are barely a bit more pink and they are also now shiny. I've decided to just leave them be. For my first mask they look fine.

Also, in this picture, you can see the chunky lip I was talking about a few posts ago. From more than 3 feet away you cannot tell, especially from below (and who would be looking down on Chewie?).

I then latch-hooked for 4 hours and this is where I'm at for the shirt:

And before you say anything, yes I will have to do A LOT of trimming and thinning to do on the arms. I did it that densely so that there wouldn't be any bear patches where you can see the netting.

I am waiting on some nuts and bolts to get in from Amazon for me to start working on the lip mechanism. That will probably have to wait until the weekend... Oh, well. There is still a lot of latch-hooking I can do in the mean time Smile
chefhawk ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.

If you want to dull down the lips, just brush on some talcum powder and then brush it off.

H.t.h

cheers
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all! Sorry for the lack of posting lately. Things have been a bit crazy.

@chefhawk: Thanks for the idea, I'll keep that in mind

My goal is still Halloween so I have been latch-hooking daily on the shirt to get as much done as possible. I don't have any pictures of this but I will take some next time.

I have spent a bunch of time working on my mask. I did a lot of work on padding the inside to fit better and be more comfortable. I chose the placement of the foam based on an interview Adam Savage did with Weta on their mask and costume making. My padding can be seen here:

They said the best places to put a mask's weight on the face so that it is the most confortable and stable are the cheek bones and the forehead. From my testing, I have found this to be absolutely true. Granted, my mask isn't the most comfortable thing in the world and I expect to keep tweaking it, but it is so much better than it used to be.

I then added the mesh to the back of the head. I realized that it looked weird because their was a dropoff from the top of the mask to where the back of my head sticks out so I used some eva foam to craft a bowl like shape that I believe will make the transition much less noticeable once I finish hairing it. This can be seen below.

The foam transition piece:

It in the helmet with the mesh:

Then I started latch-hooking the mesh and am more than halfway done.

I am pretty sure I made the mesh too long on the back but I can always make it shorter. I hope to finish latch-hooking it this week and will start glueing on the hair to the silicone mask this weekend.

I also printed out the last of the bandolier boxes, specifically the one with the lid that is oriented in 2 different directions on the bandolier. It is the style labeled in green in the picture below.

I will probably start the molding and casting process this weekend after I finish filling, sanding, and priming all the boxes.

Sorry there are no pictures of my printed boxes! I will post some as soon as I am done priming them.

I plan on trying out a new method of giving an item a reflective metalic surface I learned from the Captain Phasma Costumers facebook group where they buff the item with metalic powder. From the pictures I have seen it looks amazing! I will definitely post my results here after I do it.

Cheers!
yadsmood ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend I got the leather, tools, and metal parts for making the bandolier. I also started hairing the mask.

I have spent several hours on it gluing hair down. I am leaving at least an inch of space between where I am gluing the hair and the edge so that I can go back and punch the rest. I should have all the hair glued by the end of this weekend and can start punching.

I would love to get any advice on hair punching or how to deal with the hair around the eyes if any of you have some.

I am starting to really get excited about this project again because I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!
yadsmood ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress from the weekend:

I made a schedule of what I have to get done by when to get the costume finished by Halloween.

I also finished most of the gluing of the hair, made a hair punch, and started hair punching.

The part that I started hair punching in the picture above is the left eye and it is taking FOREVER. That small part is several hours of punching.

While the punched hair looks great, I am probably going to do another line of glued hair around most of the mask to minimize the amount I have to punch and then go back to punching.

This weekend I will be sculpting, molding, and casting the feet.
yadsmood ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning to sculpt mold and cast both feet this last weekend but I ran into two problems: First, I ran out of monster clay to do the second foot. Second, none of the shops around me had mineral spirits, which is used to smooth monster clay.

I ended up sculpting the first foot which can be seen below:

After studying my reference, I realized that TFA Chewies feet just look like big human feet. So, I just used my own foot as reference but made it at a bigger size. It needs smoothing, and isn't the greatest thing I have ever made but I think it will be fine. Who looks at his feet that closely anyways. I mean most of it will be covered by hair and the parts that aren't are basically just the toes. Speaking of toes, I will be adding toe nails sculpted using Instamorph which are thermoplastic beads. As to the specifics of what I am doing for the molding and casting, I will go over that when I am done doing it.

Since I couldn't finish my work with the feet, I moved over to working on the bandolier and the bandolier bag. I patterned the bandolier out onto paper by tracing out the outlines of the boxes I have 3d printed. Then I cut as many out as boxes exist on the bandolier. I then made a pattern of rougly the spacing between boxes and the end spacing. I assembled all these as is the order on the bandolier pictured in the Star Wars: The Force Awakens The Visual Dictionary. This gave me my length for the bandolier and can be seen below:

The boxes are labeled by color and correspond to the colors in this picture:

I also, patterned, cut out, dyed, and started sewing the bandolier bag.

Lastly, I did more gluing of hair on the face. The rest will be punched.

I hope to get the face completely punched by the end of the weekend so I can start looking for a stylist to cut it. The bandolier bag needs around 2-3 hours of hand stitching to be finished. This weekend I hope to finish sculpting the second foot, and mold and cast both of them.

I would love for any feedback or advice if you have any.
yadsmood ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent most of my Saturday hair punching. I got most of the left side of the face.

He is going to need A LOT of trimming and grooming.

A question came up while I was punching: What do you do with the portion of the silicone mask close to the eye that is showing pointed out in the image below?

Sorry it's so blurry! I can't really punch any more there. I could glue some hair to the edge or on the inside of the eye hole and have it come out? What did you all do?

I got some more work done on latch hooking the suit.

The shirt is too long making the pants look very short. The camera angle from up above doesn't help either. I think I will also want to take in the width of the legs and the width of the shirt but I will make that decision after I get farther into latch-hooking the shirt so I know what it looks like when its more filled out.

Lastly, I finished the bandolier bag and am pretty happy with it. Smile

Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always glue the hair around the eyes, haven't found a good way to punch that far in. Your pouch looks good! Be sure not to punch too much hair per hole, I made that mistake on my first mask and he looked like Wilfred Brimley lol

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the eyes, create a loop of bias tape for each eye. Glue hair into it. Glue the loop around the eye on the inside of the underskull/skin. Run the hair through the eye sockets and glue the other ends down.
yadsmood ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@GotWookiee : Thats a great idea! I am probably going to try that.

@Bacca9: Thanks for the compliment on the pouch. I am pretty happy with it.

The way I have added hair so far is I have glued most of the hair. Then I have an inch or so of punched hair that are in the style of "doll hair" (i.e. a lot per hole). This is mostly to cover the glue covered hair section. Then when you get close to the edge (like the last half inch or so) I have been doing individual hairs.

Do you think that is going to be a problem? Will I need to pull the "doll hair" style ones out? How do you all add hair to your masks?

I'm at the point where I think the "doll hair" ones on the nose may need to be pulled because I am worried they may not flatten out enough...
yadsmood ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after a lot of nights with little sleep I got somewhat of a presentable Chewbacca out on the runway for my work's Halloween costume contest.

It needs a bit of work. I need to do the rest of the bandolier, make some adjustments to the feet (they are too long, not very sturdily attached to my shoes, and need toe nails) and do some more styling to the hair, but that will have to wait for the weekend after I take some time to rest and recover. That being said, I am still super happy with it. Smile

Also, general feedback/other suggestions for fixes are welcome.
yadsmood ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the bandolier done with the boxes and punched some more hair on the mask where it was a bit sparse before.

Approval photos submitted! Now for the hard part. Waiting for a response...
The Wookiee Workshop ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How tall are you in costume?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: