Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=43b3561acf7e5a3ebd819e7626f83cfcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Chirrut Imwe research and open build thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pandatrooper ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received some 2mm thick white vinyl today for the shoulder bandolier. I actually discovered a new term used on Chirrut's costume which is a "baldric". This is a traditional shoulder sling / belt combination that allows one to carry a sword etc. on the hip without it flopping around. This description came from one of the LFL costume displays.

I've also started creating a pattern for the right side outer jacket. I am using a karate gi as a template and laying down some paper and masking tape to create the pattern. The outer jacket only cover the right arm and torso, and closes with a fabric tie on the lower left side of the torso. I discovered that there is no seam at the top of the right shoulder but a curved seam that runs like an old western jacket on the shoulder blade.

I finished sewing the outer robe that hangs off the back of the baldric. Its actually a tricky shape to make it look right. Using references from the displays, Hot Toys figure and some screen shots, I came to the conclusion that there are 3 sets of fabric ties that attach to the outer right side robe to prevent the robe from shifting.

Per the screenshots further up in this post, the outer robe is definitely more dark blue than black. I haven't sewn the ties on yet as I need to sew the opposing tie to the right side outer robe.

For fun, I decided to make a wooden bowl so that I could beg and do the "May the Force of others be with you!" chant at conventions. Smile

Looking at an unused shot (this is the only scene we really see the bowl close up) I determined it wasn't wood but a coconut bowl! So I bought a $2 coconut and drank the water and ate some of coconut and carved out the bowl. I sanded the inside and outside, then laid down some wood oil to give it a nice dark, deep color.

pandatrooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some updates:

Sourced all the original parts for the Echo box greeblies. Clayed them up and made a mold for casting.

Spent a lot of time to paint and weather the Echo box to match the screen used reference

My version

Original screen used version displayed at Star Wars Celebration Europe.

Cut all the components of the baldric / bandolier out of the thick white vinyl

Lightbow ammunition shell holder (I assume that's what it is!)

I sculpted in these Rebel Bird logos to the top of each round for fun. Smile

Finished Baldric, just needs weathering

Finished painting and weathering my cast staff. Very pleased with the paint job. The staff has an aluminium mandrel inside for rigidity and to reduce weight since it's hollow.

Dyeing the cotton basket weave for the outer left side skirt. I've combined 2 bottles navy blue and 2 bottles of black to achieve the screen used color.

Purchased the 3D printed kit version of the Lightbow from 3DpropsNL. I was going to build my own but they've done a great job of engineering the working gear system so that the arms of the bow pop out, and the rear receiver and grip rorates 90 degrees. I have to fix a few issues to make it sturdier but it's a really nice prop!

pandatrooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, more updates!

Outer left skirt fabric was dyed so I started sewing. Transferred my pattern based on my size to the fabric. I only had one shot as I only was able to get enough fabric for one skirt before dying, so fingers crossed...

Adding the red on white stripe

I decided to do a lining for the underside of the outer skirt to help it flow and prevent any fraying since the cotton weave is very loose.

Very happy with the results and very accurate!

Next was the right side outer robe / sleeve. It's essentially a "half a gi" so I used an older gi I had on hand, drafted a pattern from it and modified it. I already started the pattern further up in the build thread, but due to late night sewing and needing reading glasses, I traced the pattern on the wrong side of the fabric! Still came out just fine, I can wash the lines off.

The rear right shoulder has this interesting curved seam on the screen used costume.

Pretty simple pattern, a front, a back, the sleeve and the lapel. Done! Not seen here, but I added a fabric tie to the left side to close the robe as seen on the screen used version.

I purchased a Do3d model for the gauntlet, but once I got the model I realised how inaccurate it was. I ended up being tight for time, so I resized the gauntlet in all dimensions, and did some boolean cuts and modifications to make it work. I'm going to model my own from scratch.

The hand guard was also completely wrong, so I modelled my own in Fusion360 and printed it on my Prusa I3 MKIIS.
The print at the top was a draft to see if the proportions were right, the ones on the bottom are my usable prints for now (will be upgraded later).

While the 3D printer was going, I continued to work on the left arm which has a ridiculous amount of sewing! I made 19 separate suede bands, with triple stitches (no, my machine is not equipped for that, so I just run 3 straight lines), then sewed them to the black fake leather, which has a layer of 1/8 foam underneath to provide a little "puffiness".

Test for size after the prints were done. Looking good!

Base coat of paint on the gauntlet and hand guard. I finished the 3D print and then painted the silver rod with Alclad II and weathered it. Note that the screen used gauntlet had black weathering on the rod but not the gauntlet.
[img]

Added the red sections on the gauntlet

I modelled the bicep armband and printed it as well. There's a couple models out there but they weren't accurate.
Matte spray was used as the screen used gauntlet and bicep armband were not very shiny.

Weathering added using 2 stages of acrylics.

Finished gauntlet and hand guard

Used the same colors weathering (2 stage) on the baldric.

Tests for the left bicep padding.

I used 1/4" foam for the 3 bicep padded sections. Sandwiched between the fake suede and an underlayer. Took almost 3 hours to pattern, cut and sew this thing!

Back of the suede jacket. I found a really nice slate blue color for the fake suede and used it for all the final parts. The back of the jacket has all these vertical lines on the back which require 2 rows of stitches each. only one row done so far...

After I sewed the left sleeve on I sewed the lapel / collar. After that and the front pocket details, the jacket was done so...

Last edited by pandatrooper () on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total
pandatrooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much done! I'm pretty happy with it, just some upgrades going forward.

- model, print and finish paint a more accurate gauntlet and rod
- buy or make more accurate boots
- add some light weathering to the outermost clothing layers

Hope you enjoyed the build so far! I'll be doing a photo shoot soon. Stay tuned for upgrades!

MisterXero ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your level of detail is insane. VERY well done.
Curious, what is the found part above the camera echo box?
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to your WIP, but this is really impressive and amazing!
More than "well done"!

RL: Alpine Base Austria (Base Membership Officer) / Wretched Hive (Jawa) & Docking Bay 94 Fringe (Jyn Erso) //
501st: Austrian Garrison / Krayt Clan (Jawa) & Imperial Officer Corps (Adm. Daala flightsuit)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: