Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3b2950672d09623b910c57df2dcba399Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TFA General Leia WIP and question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chameleon ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: TFA General Leia WIP and question Reply with quote

For SWC last July I made TFA General Leia, and now I'd like to upgrade it hopefully for submission to RL, so I need a little advice Smile

The biggest thing I know needs fixing is the belt buckle, which I made out of foam as I ran out of time. I found this one on etsy and was wondering if it would be clearable? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions (or even better reference pics?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/465027039/3d-printed-general-leia-organa-belt

I think the jumpsuit is OK, and the boots are the closest match I could find to hers anywhere.

The vest has a tendency to sit a little unevenly at the hem, and this is definitely something I need to look into, and I think it also needs a lining. Does anyone have any info on what the vest is lined with?

I'd also like to make a better ring, another thing which I rushed a little, although that is optional in the standards. If anyone has done one I'd love to see how!

Any other suggestions would also be much appreciated. Smile

[/url]
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love those boots!!!

Very nice work on your costume. Leia Buns
ROTJ Leia (complete)
TFA General Leia (complete)
Senatorial Leia (in progress)
Ceremonial Leia (in progress)
AOTC Jamilla (90%)
AOTC Corde' (in progress)
Mara Jade (501st Approved)
anjea214 (Anjea Ray)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks great!

I was wondering about that buckle, too - I had also come across in my searches. The shape to me is a little off, and it looks a little flat, but I was thinking I might be able to mod it somehow?

The boots are great.

Did you make the jumpsuit? Did you make your own pattern, or use/mod an existing one? I'm having a hard time finding a good starting point. I bought a jumper that is pretty close but it's really baggy and I don't know that I'll be able to rework it to where it looks right.
chameleon ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@anjea, sorry, I never got a notification for this! I used Simplicity 8060 and modified to add the front yoke and centre back sleeve seams. It's a good pattern and doesn't need much modifying so definitely recommend that!

I'm going to do some more research on the belt buckle. Maybe I can make my own 3D file and have it printed. I'll let you know if I work it out! Smile
chameleon ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on this: I thought I'd take the easy route for once in my life and bought the belt buckle. Aaaaand it's totally the wrong size - the listing says for a 2" leather belt but it's actually 2.5". Now having to go through a refund process and I've lost the customs fees I paid. Should have just made it in the first place Rolling Eyes

So now I'm going to have a go at it, I think using worbla. Hopefully I can get it to work - really keen to submit this one!
chameleon ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update 2: This seller is the absolute worst experience I have ever had. He's refusing to refund, claiming in PayPal, blatantly lying and horrifically misquoting me in his comments. I'm so upset right now. Definitely do not order from this guy!
Arthrax (Rebecca Fisher-Jackson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chameleon wrote:
@anjea, sorry, I never got a notification for this! I used Simplicity 8060 and modified to add the front yoke and centre back sleeve seams. It's a good pattern and doesn't need much modifying so definitely recommend that!

I'm going to do some more research on the belt buckle. Maybe I can make my own 3D file and have it printed. I'll let you know if I work it out! Smile

I have a question for you! Your vest looks amazing, did you follow a pattern for it at all? I've had great issues trying to come up with my own pattern, so any help would be greatly appreciated!! Smile
TFA Kaydel Ko Connix - Junior Controller's Uniform - Approved! (26/06/17)

WIP Costumes:
TFA General Leia Organa (Jumpsuit)
ANH Luke Skywalker (Lars Homestead / Tatooine)
Troop Count: 11
chameleon ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might have used the jumpsuit pattern as a base and then patterned it out myself I'm afraid. If you're having any specific issues I can try and suggest something to help? Smile
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about your belt woes Sad Can't wait to see what you make out of Worbla, the one from Etsy is missing some details so you will probably be happier for having made it yourself. I am a little worried about the large buckles on your boots as the ones in the movie don't seem to have visible closures like that but this is something you could probably fix easily. The vest is really lovely.

Photos by Robbins Studios

In Progress:Padme Loyalist Gown, Leia Raddus Bridge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: