Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a09253ea61321b9e42925a0b53634244Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Costumebase updating its TFA flightsuit/vest this summer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thanamira (Dave Leung)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*light bulb*
Oh wait, you mean this?

Edit: pretty sure that's what you mean, and yes, that seems reasonable that that's a blocker. Thanks for pointing it out!!

President, Boston Lightsaber Stage Combat Club
Approved costumes: Jedi Knight (generic) | X-wing pilot (TLJ briefing room)
Photo by Benn Robbins Photography
phantom8 (Brian Anderson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediXXL wrote:
phantom8 wrote:
I guess the question becomes how correct is correct enough? I know it's impossible to make a complete judgement until you see one, but at the same time I think some questions can get answered for sure.

Make it look like it did on screen. Wink

heh... the problem with that is quantifying it. that's why the evil space people have it broken down to a bullet list of features, and rules around interpreting them. Even then it's still a problem getting consistency.

Our standards are not quite as explicitly spelled out, so it's harder to make that checklist.

Since I've already got the sunk cost in 1 suit, I'm gambling on a second and making full chaps out of the 'extra' legs.

I figure that I've already spent $129 on it. If i toss that in the trash it's definitely wasted money. If I get the second one and make it work I might be OK or I might be out more money. I'll take the chance and see how it goes Smile

Worst case I waste a bunch of cash but learn some stuff. Best case I salvage the experiment of buying their suit in the first place, and can hopefully get them a definitive list of changes to make it approvable out of the box for next revision.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since I've already got the sunk cost in 1 suit, I'm gambling on a second and making full chaps out of the 'extra' legs.

I can't see any reason why it would not be possible to add an accurate rear chap area using the legs from a second suit. You will still have saved all the assembly of the entire upper portion of the suit: collar, sleeve trim, zipper, etc.

plus you can sell off the extra CB vest / gloves if you don't need them to recoup some of your cost of the 2nd suit. I sold my vest on ebay for $40.
hofmann (Matt Hofmann)
Legion Events Coordinator

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanamira wrote:
*light bulb*
Oh wait, you mean this?

Edit: pretty sure that's what you mean, and yes, that seems reasonable that that's a blocker. Thanks for pointing it out!!

Yes, that's it Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that pic. Smile You see the top attachment seam of the chaps right in from of the left hand.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the chaps would definitely need to go all around the leg, not just on the front. Also, maybe it's just me, but it seems like the color of the suit should be a little darker. And the black circle on the front of the vest shouldn't be something printed onto it, it should be something sewn on (perhaps even a white circle patch with a smaller black circle printed on the white patch-- so the black circle has a white edge-- would be better. Or, preferably, a white circle with black mesh circle in the middle).

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
paleosilex (Robert Nelson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that suit came to me, I would give them an option to fix the chaps or deny it. The chaps go around. Additionally the collar and the trim down the arms are to be a slightly darker color. That could be an easy fix, but it would need to be fixed. I also can't really tell the detail of the back of the vest.

Legion Pilot Costume Judge
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4284/34989154054_37e8c94233_k.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4207/35019275213_d1209b3e22_k.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7N1BIG1.png
TheSnapWexley ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all the pilots have the back chap. That was Jess's flightsuite on display which alsonjad a mid waist seam that none of the pthers had. Specifically asked Greg Grunberg about this and he said his cpstume did not have the back chap. He also said there where about three different verriations of the costume he could remember. I asked him if Oscar's had it and he did not think so but was not 100% But ive watched the movie tons of times and this display costume may be one of the only ones that included That back chap.

I think it would require more pictures of different costumes to confirm it 100%
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSnapWexley wrote:
Not all the pilots have the back chap. That was Jess's flightsuite on display which alsonjad a mid waist seam that none of the pthers had. Specifically asked Greg Grunberg about this and he said his cpstume did not have the back chap. He also said there where about three different verriations of the costume he could remember. I asked him if Oscar's had it and he did not think so but was not 100% But ive watched the movie tons of times and this display costume may be one of the only ones that included That back chap.

You're right, we do need to see more screen costumes up close. But we who have done A-wing & the other RotJ pilots know that dance! UGH... GIVE US ACCESS TO YOUR STUFF, LFL. Pretty please Smile

I just popped in the Blu-ray, and scanned through all the pilots you see running around and such... It's hard to see if some have chaps that are loose, but the scene where Finn runs up to Poe, and then a wide shot that slowly zooms in on the pair talking ("I got thrown from the crash...."), you can see Poe has open chaps in the rear. Not that I'm staring at you're butt, Oscar 😉 There's at least two other pilots that walk by in the background that look like they have the same chaps. The rest: it's so hard to call. If Greg Grunberg is sure his are closed in back, then so be it, might be something else for his face character standard. But with uncertainty for the rest, but with definitive proof on one and consistent video evidence for a few more, I'd say keep the standard for all but Snap to have open chaps all around.
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
TheSnapWexley ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be true. Greg's (Snap's) costume had a ton of verriations. The boots, the color of the strap that holds the chest box, no arm cuffs, no back chaps, longer harness strap in the back, I also think he has one more leg flair than most lf the pilots did. But again face character who was added to the film late. Also he is a much bigger guy than the other pilots. Makes sense his costume is different. Greg and I jad a really good conversation about this. He looked over my costume a ton, said we seemed to have all the correct details and materials down. Always good when the character approves your work.
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSnapWexley wrote:
That may be true. Greg's (Snap's) costume had a ton of verriations. The boots, the color of the strap that holds the chest box, no arm cuffs, no back chaps, longer harness strap in the back, I also think he has one more leg flair than most lf the pilots did. But again face character who was added to the film late. Also he is a much bigger guy than the other pilots. Makes sense his costume is different. Greg and I jad a really good conversation about this. He looked over my costume a ton, said we seemed to have all the correct details and materials down. Always good when the character approves your work.

👍👍👍

Sounds like Greg is a guy who paid attention to his costume!
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Strongbow ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philonius wrote:
TheSnapWexley wrote:

👍👍👍

Sounds like Greg is a guy who paid attention to his costume!

He's a big ole geek, like us!

I'd personally say that until we see actual evidence of this variation, ignore it. We KNOW there were at least 4 costumes with the full chap. I can't find any pictures of Snap good enough to confirm the "no back chap" memory. Hopefully some turn up at some point.
hofmann (Matt Hofmann)

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSnapWexley wrote:

Obviously if there's photographic evidence of the lack of a back chap on the costume, we would review that and make changes to the requirement, making that optional. As much as I'd like to take Greg Grunberg's word on that, we'd need pretty definitive evidence. Right now Jess' flightsuit is the only one in the wild, so that's what we have to go off of.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can't tell 100% if they have the chaps in this pic, look at all of the weird variations on the belt leg straps! That one in the middle has a super short drop strap and it makes it almost just look like a Y, the one over on the far right has one that drops down almost a foot in comparison.

JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the best pictures I have...

There is NO Orange Mafia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: