Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=054e8c12662e06fe52a04c8fc0157fccMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Costumebase updating its TFA flightsuit/vest this summer
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thanamira (Dave Leung)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Costumebase updating its TFA flightsuit/vest this summer Reply with quote

I sent email to Costumebase with all of the changes I had to make to my flightsuit and vest, asking them to incorporate them for future runs. They said they'd do that, and that new inventory would be available sometime this summer.

If anyone has experience dealing with Costumebase such that we can get verification of the changes, that'd be great - several Alderaan Base members are interested in this costume, but are weak at sewing, so they'd be dependent on the Costumebase set being out-of-the-box accurate. Let me know, and I'd be happy to work with Costumebase's people.

Flightsuit:
* Upper right leg pocket moved to front of leg
* Lower right pocket & flap moved to front of leg
* Lower left pocket moved to front of leg
* Add inner flap and detail stitching added to upper left leg
* Remove rear pockets

Vest:
* The Aurebesh lettering needs to be printed upside down. The lettering is correct, but it needs to be rotated 180' in its position.
* The Republic bird needs to be a smaller diameter.
* The black dot needs to be a smaller diameter.

I wouldn't expect Costumebase to just magically get it right, so I'm very willing to help them out. I just don't know if I'm talking to the right people over there.
Photo by B. Marchulaitis Photography
Jayben Kenobi (Joshua Curry)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is excellent. I know that a lot of people find it very difficult to complete the pilots from TFA because of the suits and vests. Its just hard for folks that don't know how to sew.
Delpa Gival (Patrick Delieto)
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vest I know is horrible, but with pocket modifications, is the flight suit alone approvable?

http://www.thecostumebase.com/resistance-pilot-tfa-costume/

MTFBWY

Echo Base CO 2012 -2015
Legion Council 2017-2018
Hawkbat 18
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the above listed modifications, I believe the suit would be acceptable.

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
phantom8 (Brian Anderson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delpa Gival wrote:
The vest I know is horrible, but with pocket modifications, is the flight suit alone approvable?

http://www.thecostumebase.com/resistance-pilot-tfa-costume/

I'm actually making decent progress on the vest. I've reversed it so that all of the printed stuff is on the inside. I had to remove quilting from one side and add it to another, but so far so good.

I'm fairly confident that I can make it look good enough Smile
Strongbow ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the top of the chaps is completely wrong. The chaps should attach long the hip, below the waist seam. Also, the chaps should completely surround the leg. The costume base suit only attaches to the front of the leg.

Here's a pic showing the seam.

Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Good googly-moogly, you're going to need sewing skills just to convert them to be mostly correct! I'd have to handle one in person too. Just looks like more trouble than it's worth, but this coming from me who's made 7 of these suits.
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
hofmann (Matt Hofmann)
Legion Events Coordinator

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to speak for all the LCJs, but as an LCJ myself and someone with the costume, I would not accept the flightsuit without serious modifications.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the question becomes how correct is correct enough? I know it's impossible to make a complete judgement until you see one, but at the same time I think some questions can get answered for sure.

For instance: if the back of the chap is a 100% blocker, then the handful of folks working on these might as well stop now.

The pockets so far seem manageable. I don't have a pic handy but I've rebuild the thigh pocket to have the correct flaps/openings/ripstop strip. Between moving them and rebuilding some parts with the excess from the very long legs, that seems plausible, as does moving the loops on the sleeve.

What it has going for it is that it's a breathable fabric in a reasonable color, with most of the tailoring as a garment handled pretty well. Sewing is a big blocker for a lot of people, and hiring out to make them if you can't yourself is pricey.

If there's a way to make a good enough version out of something readily available, it will make growing the pilot base a lot easier. At the prices of these things, even buying two and combining them is still a lot cheaper than hiring out to get a custom one made.

It would be a big help to understand just what exactly is needed detail-wise for approval.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The pockets so far seem manageable. I don't have a pic handy but I've rebuild the thigh pocket to have the correct flaps/openings/ripstop strip

i'd really like to see a pic of what you did there. I have one of these suits and I see no issue with being able to make the existing pockets have the correct look, even if the back pocket material has to be used. I'm planning on starting the changes to mine soon.

The pockets are actually the correct box style, it's just not something that can be seen in the CB photos, since the top of them is stitched shut and they are folded flat.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantom8 wrote:
I guess the question becomes how correct is correct enough? I know it's impossible to make a complete judgement until you see one, but at the same time I think some questions can get answered for sure.

Make it look like it did on screen. Wink

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantom8 wrote:

For instance: if the back of the chap is a 100% blocker, then the handful of folks working on these might as well stop now.

The pockets so far seem manageable. I don't have a pic handy but I've rebuild the thigh pocket to have the correct flaps/openings/ripstop strip. Between moving them and rebuilding some parts with the excess from the very long legs, that seems plausible, as does moving the loops on the sleeve.

What it has going for it is that it's a breathable fabric in a reasonable color, with most of the tailoring as a garment handled pretty well. Sewing is a big blocker for a lot of people, and hiring out to make them if you can't yourself is pricey.

If there's a way to make a good enough version out of something readily available, it will make growing the pilot base a lot easier. At the prices of these things, even buying two and combining them is still a lot cheaper than hiring out to get a custom one made.

It would be a big help to understand just what exactly is needed detail-wise for approval.

Well, in my book, there's "close" and there's "correct. I'm no costume judge, but I try to go after as many of the details as possible. Squinting at photos to catch everything, and making sure the materials I use are damn close if not exact to what's on screen.

Just looking at this suit and bearing in mind what it takes to make one from scratch, if someone had to buy 2 suits to cobble together to make one correct suit, I can make you one probably for about the same money plus the labor, and using the good stuff. I did some math, and with materials and labor I can make a suit for about $450, the vest for $300. (4 of my suits have been approved already.... I'm waiting on my bucket to get finished to submit mine).

I guess it's all what you're willing to get into, but I also thought we were setting the bar high being who we are. My 2 credits.
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
hofmann (Matt Hofmann)
Legion Events Coordinator

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantom8 wrote:

Not having the back of the chap would be a 100% blocker.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know - but I'm afraid I don't understand what is meant by "back of the chap". Can you elaborate, please?

Also, if you have higher-res photos, that'd be very helpful. You posted a shot of the side of Poe, but it's so low-res, I don't know what you're referring to. As long as you're going to the trouble of telling me stuff in advance, I'd like to get it right the first time! :)
Photo by B. Marchulaitis Photography
phantom8 (Brian Anderson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for the definitive answer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: