Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a323c75bc2d7b63c16750aef1ea945c5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Costumebase updating its TFA flightsuit/vest this summer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSnapWexley ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fairly sure that Poe's has it after taking a closer look at some of the same pics you just posted. It is hard to tell, but in the kneeling one you can see a line that could be the chap. However, I have been pouring over all the pictures I can find of any of the pilots and watching all of the extra video on the special edition 3D blueray and they NEVER really give a good on screen reference of any of the pilots back sides. Lots of side shots and front on shots, but none of them from behind. It is almost like they did it on purpose. Like I saw in the belt lengths, there is a ton of variation in this costume. It does appear however Snap and Nien Nunb are the only ones to use the other over boot / Frankenstein Boot as Greg Grunberg called it. Again likely has to do with available shoe sizes in Europe.
TheSnapWexley ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I found the proof on Snap not having any chaps on his arse anyway. Snap is actually the only pilot in the movie we can really get a good look at his arse. Sorry Greg that I am posting your butt all over the RL boards like this. But it has to be done. Also sorry for the pics, I had to Snap them with my phone..... get it Snap... But it is about 1hr and 33min into the movie. I watched it in super slow mode, I can't see where there is a chap there, and Greg said there was not so I believe it.

Redwillow ()

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screenshots of the entire film can be viewed at
https://starwarsscreencaps.com/star-wars-episode-vii-force-awakens-2015/

......So you dont have to pause and take a pic to get reference.

Pages 53, 54, 79

There are several scenes showing background pilots from the sides / rear which are mostly blurry and hard to tell detail. That said, i can find very few of them that I would say definately have rear chaps on the suit, keeping in mind the cut of the chap can be seen from the side of the leg. Poe's suit clearly has them.

Pg 53 has a guy and a female pilot running. Looks like the girl does not have them, but the guy might.

It seems apparent to me this guy next to leia does not.

Last edited by Redwillow () on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
hofmann (Matt Hofmann)
Legion Events Coordinator

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me that's too blurry and not full body. The way the requirement is written right now says that the chaps are required. It doesn't say back is optional. Until it says in the requirements that the back is optional, I personally would tell folks it needs to be there.

The requirement says "The jumpsuit legs have an outer “chap” layer. The left front of the chap should allow access for the chest box hose." The fact that it says left front suggests there should be a left back.
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hofmann wrote:
For me that's too blurry and not full body. The way the requirement is written right now says that the chaps are required. It doesn't say back is optional. Until it says in the requirements that the back is optional, I personally would tell folks it needs to be there.

The requirement says "The jumpsuit legs have an outer “chap” layer. The left front of the chap should allow access for the chest box hose." The fact that it says left front suggests there should be a left back.

Hey everyone, sorry I'm late to the discussion. I think this is a similar case of "Mr. No-Stripes" TK; an exception in continuity should not the norm.

Alex, you mentioned in our Facebook chat that Greg (Snap's actor) complained that the costume was too hot, so the back chaps were removed- right? That tells me that the chaps were originally part of the costume, but they were altered at the actor's request.

I agree with Hofmann's assessment of the current standard.
paleosilex (Robert Nelson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is like saying that conceptual costume design that never made it into the movie should be part of a standard. Reminds me of the preproduction test pictures of Nien in the white suit for ROTJ. Yes it is there. Never made to the movie. Not part of the standard. If one suit was adjusted at the request of the actor, it is the exception, not the rule.

Just my 2 cents.

Legion Pilot Costume Judge
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4284/34989154054_37e8c94233_k.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4207/35019275213_d1209b3e22_k.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7N1BIG1.png
TheSnapWexley ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commander Cody wrote:
hofmann wrote:

Hey everyone, sorry I'm late to the discussion. I think this is a similar case of "Mr. No-Stripes" TK; an exception in continuity should not the norm.

Alex, you mentioned in our Facebook chat that Greg (Snap's actor) complained that the costume was too hot, so the back chaps were removed- right? That tells me that the chaps were originally part of the costume, but they were altered at the actor's request.

I agree with Hofmann's assessment of the current standard.

They where not removed, they where never a part of Snap's costume. So technically to do that costume correctly they should not be installed.

However the picture posted above by Redwillow is compelling that other pilots did not have the rear chap as well.

I dont know. I just suggest the CRL be updated to say front and rear chap to remove any grey area and prevent people from having issues with submissions in the future.

Is there an official CRL for Snap and Poe as well? If not Poe is not much differemt than the standard pilot but Snap has many differences to be accurate.
Roaddog (AJ McKechnie)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the OT pilots you have to follow what the character wore on screen correct?

Why cant that be the same for the TFA pilots?

If the Face character wore (or didn't wear) them then you should the same.

Jes Pava wore chaps, then if you are doing her you must wear them. Snap Wexley didn't wear them so then he shouldn't.

Could it be the female pilots had the chaps to make them look bigger?

Or like in the Air Force fighter pilots have to wear a G-suit to prevent blacking out, and that's what the female pilots are wearing? Looking back at the real Pava suit, That's exactly what the "Chaps" look like to me is a G-suit.

See this link. http://www.lifesupportintl.com/products/misc.-clothing/suit-anti-g-csu-13b/p/
hofmann (Matt Hofmann)
Legion Events Coordinator

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roaddog wrote:

Poe Dameron has them too.

We aren't talking about Snap Wexley requirements; we're talking about generic TFA pilot requirements. There are no Snap Wexley requirements written, so those are done on a case-by-case basis as would be any other TFA face character pilot until someone has written them and they're approved.

The generic requirements say you need to have front and back chaps. The LMO has agreed with that determination, thus no generic pilots will be approved without them at this time.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Just seeing this. I'm told that the standards dont need to be updated. I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones that just got my costume from Merdian creations. I'm not being approved despite the fact that others were approved without back chaps and despite the standards not being approved
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reviewing this right now.

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yub-Yub ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is Gil is that according to what I was told through email the standards are being updated TODAY. I turned in my photos Wed-Saturday. The vendor that made my suit was notified yesterday. I hope you can see how this seems real shady if I dont get approved based on what was presented to me
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having made several of these myself, having poured over all available photos from the Jess Pava suit and screen grabs, and being familiar with the modern real life G-suit, there sS no doubt to me that the chap wraps all the way around the leg. Watch the Blu-ray again, you can at least see that there's a curved piece that goes around the butt. Whether that is stitched down or not, is not apparent, but there they are.

From a purely construction perspective, it makes sense to have the full chap. The cargo pockets on each side straddle the side seam of the legs. It would make for a very difficult sewing job to stitch the chap on, then stitch half the pocket onto the leg rear, and into the chap on the front, otherwise you'd have to stitch through the chap and the leg front, then block off the space where you might otherwise be able to slip in the hose. If you go with a full open chap construction, (like what's apparent on Jess and Poe), you can easily stitch down all your pockets on the chaps then attach the chaps to the legs. Easy peasy, bantha squeezey.

If the aim is to reduce the heat of your suit, or somehow make it less baggy looking, might I suggest using another material, or doing OT pilot, senatorial, or something that has innately better temperature transfer qualities Smile
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Strongbow ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roaddog wrote:
for the OT pilots you have to follow what the character wore on screen correct?

Why cant that be the same for the TFA pilots?

If the Face character wore (or didn't wear) them then you should the same.

Jes Pava wore chaps, then if you are doing her you must wear them. Snap Wexley didn't wear them so then he shouldn't.

Or like in the Air Force fighter pilots have to wear a G-suit to prevent blacking out, and that's what the female pilots are wearing? Looking back at the real Pava suit, That's exactly what the "Chaps" look like to me is a G-suit.

See this link. http://www.lifesupportintl.com/products/misc.-clothing/suit-anti-g-csu-13b/p/

The chaps are likely meant to emulate a G-suit. But it's not just the ladies wearing them.
Strongbow ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, a generic CRL should be just that.... generic. Variations should be limited to cases where we are confident that the variation is not limited to a a certain character, or a production error. Otherwise, we run in to the case of Mr. No Stripes, or people arguing that gaffer tape should be allowed since it it screen accurate. To me, the screen caps are inconclusive.... not clear at all to me. But the clear pics we DO have of Poe and Jess's costume are unambiguous... rear chaps. I don't see a good reason to not require them in the generic CRL without clearer evidence.

Snap is another issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: