Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6f3416d264f573d2285e1ed0cca7ef30Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Costumebase updating its TFA flightsuit/vest this summer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strongbow ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yub-Yub wrote:
The problem is Gil is that according to what I was told through email the standards are being updated TODAY. I turned in my photos Wed-Saturday. The vendor that made my suit was notified yesterday. I hope you can see how this seems real shady if I dont get approved based on what was presented to me

"Shady" implies some kind of malice. That's uncalled for IMO. However, IMHO, there is some burden on you to justify the costume, especially if it is a variation from the usual, or at least what is known.

Perhaps we will find out there was a "Hero" variation and a "stunt" variation, but we do not know that yet.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to address the "Shady thing" because we all know Eminem is the real Shady. Wink
There is nothing shady going on here.

Remember why we do this? For fun!

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Yeah, the chaps would definitely need to go all around the leg, not just on the front.

I agree with my DXO Alex on this as well.
I believe the chaps should be present on the front and the back as shown in the pictures of the costume on display, and the pictures from the film.

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yub-Yub ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot to take in when it comes to the back chaps because we really don't have a clear shot of Poe's butt.

I mean who doesn't want that. We do know that some have them while others don't. We have the action figures as a reference as well. Then there's the comic book.

I'm going to laugh real hard if they take them off for The Last Jedi.
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yub-Yub wrote:
There is a lot to take in when it comes to the back chaps because we really don't have a clear shot of Poe's butt.

I mean who doesn't want that. We do know that some have them while others don't. We have the action figures as a reference as well. Then there's the comic book.

I'm going to laugh real hard if they take them off for The Last Jedi.

Man, we just have too much saying there are complete chaps on the standard suit.

These kids today.... I swear Smile At least you don't have to wait 31 years for better photo reference (re: A-wing, B-wing, and Y-wing from RotJ) aside from grainy/fuzzy shots of background dudes and a couple chest-up cockpit shots! And we got a whole CRL changed based on 2 or 3 good pics of those in a book.... At least the TFA suit we got to see on display.
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Thanamira (Dave Leung)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hofmann wrote:
The requirement says "The jumpsuit legs have an outer “chap” layer. The left front of the chap should allow access for the chest box hose." The fact that it says left front suggests there should be a left back.

Matt, can the CRL be updated to make this more clear, please? I'm fine with the back chap requirement; my complaint is that, to me, implications should be far and few in CRLs, and when discovered, they should be clarified.

(edited: I got off-track talking about screengrab photos, and decided I didn't want to gunk up the discussion. :) )
Photo by B. Marchulaitis Photography
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Dragon Con Planning Team Volunteer (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The costume standard for the generic Res. pilot has been updated to reflect these changes. Thanks!
Thanamira (Dave Leung)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick action!
Artoo (Camille Petty)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commander Cody wrote:
The costume standard for the generic Res. pilot has been updated to reflect these changes. Thanks!

Costumes submitted before the update would still be grandfathered in, correct?
Star Temple, Temple Master 2011-2012, 2016 - 2017
Former North Texas Regional Captain 2011-2014, Kessel Base
Star Garrison - TI/IC 5131
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT Gil:
So having established the Costume Base TFA suit needs some major overhauls, and the standards are now updated for clarity. I have merged the topics, please let's keep the discussion on track.
Thanks!

Thanamira wrote:
Costumebase reached out to me today, asking for specifics on how to update their vest. I have already reached out to Matt Hoffman and Jon Paulson, two LCJs recommended by the Alderaan Base CO, for their input.

Obviously, we're in the land of No Guarantees: no guarantee that they'll incorporate any suggestions, or get our suggestions correct. But I find it very promising that they had said they'd be updating their stock this summer and would be interested in getting feedback, and voila, they're asking for feedback.

Even if Costumebase gets the vest and flightsuit changes right, this still leaves the chestbox, belt & harness, and leg flares for people to make, so it'll hardly be an out-of-the-box solution. But at least for my Base, our weak link is sewing, so getting the soft parts correct out of the box would be a huge help in getting more pilots.

Any and all TFA X-wing LCJs are welcome to join the email discussion -- just drop me a line. I'm trying to keep the number of people in the email discussion small (to avoid the "too many cooks in the kitchen" problem), but I'll post summary updates to this thread.

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hofmann (Matt Hofmann)
Legion Events Coordinator

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to respond to that, I received the info and will forward it to the other LCJs for discussion, but with SWCO next week we're a little distracted Smile I'll keep folks in the loop.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't imagine why! </dryly>

I let Costumebase know that there'll be a delay. :)
Darinus (David Carta)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has been looking at one of the Costumebase suits for her TFA Pilot, I'm glad I found this thread.

Any update on whether or not they're going to make the updates, or when to expect them? She's mostly concerned with the flightsuit as she intended to make the vest herself.

I'm to understand that if she uses the Costumebase flightsuit and makes the necessary changes herself (including moving pockets and adding the back chaps) that it would still meet approval requirements?

Thanks!
501st Legion - Carolina Garrison:
ANH Tusken Raider DZ-10206
Mandalorian Mercs - Talon Clan:
Davin Ca'tra #1382
PJSkittles ()

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought the suit...and after this thread, i regret it =(
Thanamira (Dave Leung)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, everyone. Sorry for the lateness in replying to recent questions, but here's an update that should cover everything.

I'm still working with CB (Costumebase) to get their offering up-to-spec. This is a slow process. They've made a new prototype which still had a long way to go; I'm iterating again.

Thanks to LCJ Matt Hoffmann for his expertise in reviewing photos that CB has sent of the new prototype. I'm going to be sending the latest round to CB soon (hopefully this weekend), at which point, CB plans to iterate again on their new prototype. They hope to have a new flightsuit available in time for TLJ. Whether it'll be up-to-spec is anyone's guess, because unfortunately, there is no substitute for "submit and see if it passes". Put another way, the LCJs don't want to pre-approve stuff, which I fully support.

Quote:
I'm to understand that if she uses the Costumebase flightsuit and makes the necessary changes herself (including moving pockets and adding the back chaps) that it would still meet approval requirements?

I'm not aware of anyone who has done this. In theory, that should work, and I think it's doable, but it'll take some time and effort.
RebelScum5150 (Mike Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you working with costume base on just the flight suit or the vest as well?

Thanamira wrote:
Hi, everyone. Sorry for the lateness in replying to recent questions, but here's an update that should cover everything.

I'm still working with CB (Costumebase) to get their offering up-to-spec. This is a slow process. They've made a new prototype which still had a long way to go; I'm iterating again.

Thanks to LCJ Matt Hoffmann for his expertise in reviewing photos that CB has sent of the new prototype. I'm going to be sending the latest round to CB soon (hopefully this weekend), at which point, CB plans to iterate again on their new prototype. They hope to have a new flightsuit available in time for TLJ. Whether it'll be up-to-spec is anyone's guess, because unfortunately, there is no substitute for "submit and see if it passes". Put another way, the LCJs don't want to pre-approve stuff, which I fully support.

Quote:

I'm not aware of anyone who has done this. In theory, that should work, and I think it's doable, but it'll take some time and effort.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: