Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b09cfeb793e1ab13fdac2f8b4fa44606Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Kim's Sabine S3 and S4 WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimKenobi (Nicole)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Kim's Sabine S3 and S4 WIP Reply with quote

I thought I start a WIP thread hoping to get some good comments and tips on my Sabine season 3 build.

Maybe a bit of background first. Originally I had in mind making my own customised version of Sabine in a mandalorian club that builds all armour parts out of metal (aluminium). While I slowly started my project in that club, season 3 went along and I just very much liked the character depth that Sabine is getting, as well as the new design of her armour. Thus, I now revised my plans to make an accurate version of the costume, which I hopefully also can get approved here. Yet, all armour plates and gauntlets will still be made out of metal, which maybe might be something novel compared to other Sabine costumes Very Happy

Before showing some pictures of what I've got so far, I need to get rid of some questions, where I hope I might get some info from you costume judges out there:
1) Is the Sabine season 3 costume standard already being worked on? I was wondering if there will be the possibility to do a light as well as heavy armoured version of the costume.
2) I noticed that in the standards of Sabine season 1 vs. 2 the wedge soled boots were recommended for the season 1, yet are mandatory for season 2. I do have a big problem with shoes in general for orthopaedic reasons, can't have high heels and need to have special insoles. Under these circumstances finding wedge soled boots and for a fair price proved in vain. In the end I bought black boots that I could fit in, but which got a regular heel. I suspect this would not get approved? What would you recommend in such a case?

The boots

The blasters. Self made out of wood and and hand painted.

Paper templates for the armour, which I soon will forge together with my mandalorian friend

Last edited by KimKenobi (Nicole) on Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
AliyaJ (Aliya Jackson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Sabine costume judge here. Smile yes the standard is being worked on, but as her costume goes through a few changes this season, it may not be finalized before the season ends. Smile Yes, you can do either the light or heavy armor Sabine. As long as there is a reference for that group of armor (you can't wear the gauntlets without the pouch belt), but the CRL will cover that.

As far as the boots, I know just what you mean. I have pronation in my feet, and can get really bad arch pain in shoes without a good sole or without inserts. If these really are the only boots you can wear for extended periods of time, the best thing might be to fill the gap under the boot with autobody filler (bondo) and plastidip (like rubber spray paint) the bottom to blend it in. Especially if you also plan on going for merc approval, because that is definitely something you could get dinged for.

I hope this helps! And good luck on your build!
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good info Aliya, it does help a lot Very Happy

I was thinking of going for the light armoured Sabine for RL approval. For this exists a season 3 concept art of Sabine. So I suppose this should be a good reference?! (see pic below)

Filling in the gab in the shoe sole is a fabulous idea. I will definitely go for this solution Very Happy

Will go and order my Sabine wig today!

Last edited by KimKenobi (Nicole) on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
AliyaJ (Aliya Jackson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great reference picture! It's one I use a lot, excellent for painting! The only part that's incorrect is the straps on the back of the boots are not in the show. So just having the shin armor velcro to the front is a good alternative! Smile I can't wait to see your progress!
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also take the boot to a cobbler and ask him to make the wedge for you so that it supports your foot but looks solid. Its a small matter of replacing the heel with a wedge shape that blends to the sole so there is no gap.

• United Citizens of the Galactic Republic DCO 2016 to present
  • MEB Membership Officer
  • Temple Master Tosche Temple Oct 2018 to present
  • UCGR - DXO 2015
  • Legion Costume Judge - Jedi & Rebel Supporters 2015 to 2017
  • Mos Eisley Base - Grand Canyon State
KimKenobi (Nicole)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the other good tips!

There is some more progress to show. The wig arrived and I gave it haircut, and afterwards painted the ends of the hair in purple/lilac, as well as a tiny bit of blue at the tips to get a nice colour gradient. The colour might maybe look a bit off or darker in the pictures, as I took them in the evening and you know electric light often skews colours...

Last edited by KimKenobi (Nicole) on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
AliyaJ (Aliya Jackson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Very Happy so so pretty! Very well done. Smile

Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot! Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just popping in to say I love your wig, it turned out beautiful! Good luck on your build Smile
KimKenobi (Nicole)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a little update. Have been working on the gloves lately and started preparing for the shirts.

For the gloves I wanted to have genuine leather gloves. Since it proved impossible here to get gloves without fingers I decided to make them myself. I ended up buying winter gloves in black nubuk leather, from which I cut out the fleece lining. Afterwards I cut off the gloves' fingers to the right length to best fit my hands, and also removed some elastics that had been attached at the wrist. Then I had to secure the sewing where I had removed the fingers. In the last step I made the glove adjustable at the wrist with a push button ....only the colour splatters missing now, but those will come when I'm painting all the rest Wink

Also started working on the shirts. For them I bought three long sleeved sport shirts, two black and one grey one. Plan is to attach the grey panels and the mandarin collar to the top shirt, and of course to change it to short sleeves. The bottom black shirt will remain long sleeved and get the new season 3 grey panels running down at the inside of the arm... but a long way to go here...

Last edited by KimKenobi (Nicole) on Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
AliyaJ (Aliya Jackson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That flightsuit is top notch! Wink
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't updated my WIP here since Photobucket ate all my links and I didn't find time until now to move all my pictures to another/free provider. Also I didn't find a lot of time after starting a new job to work on my build Embarassed

But now it's finally time to get back with a few pictures Very Happy and a few questions as well!

Here my yet not fully finished holster belt. It is self made of genuine leather.
Question:
Is the ComLink required for the light armoured build of the costume?
I looked at the season 2 standard, and there it tells it should sit at the second belt (the one with the pouches), which however isn't present in the light armoured version.

In the picture you can also see the upper shirt which someone else sewed together for me in the end, as the fabric was so terribly slippery. Yet I'm not really happy with it and would like to get it redone.

And here the starting of the armour pieces. Yep, its made of real metal Very Happy
As for the helmet I have ordered the one from NME Props which I am still waiting for... waiting can be so terrible!!

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the commlink,

The commlink isn't a required item for any of Sabine's kits. Although if you do the heavy armor version (with the second belt) the cylindrical holster for it should be there. Smile
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliyaJ wrote:

The commlink isn't a required item for any of Sabine's kits. Although if you do the heavy armor version (with the second belt) the cylindrical holster for it should be there. Smile

Thanx Smile That’s really good to know!
I would be going with the light armoured build to submission. The second belt with the pouches is multi purpose - it goes with my Jedi, but I can also use it for a non formal heavy armour Sabine ^^
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been quite a bit of progress lately... and the crazy decision to actually now switch to building the S4 light armoured version!

Here my progress with the armour and the helmet:

Starting my second try on the paint job. First time the colour came off when putting on painters tape and I had to remove all the paint Crying or Very sad So fingers crossed it'll work this time (special primer and paint bought now!)

Last edited by KimKenobi (Nicole) on Mon May 07, 2018 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: