Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a5fab6fb2d761b7c64a90d6f3c673230Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Question about Generic Wookie Coloring
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Bear ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Question about Generic Wookie Coloring Reply with quote

Hello! I am about to slowly start my generic wookie build and I have a question about coloration.

I have a calico cat named Chewie and I was wondering if her coloration would be approvable.

I think the colors would make an awesome wookie I just want to make sure they would be ok.

I can't seem to attach an image but just google long haired calico cat and you will get the picture.

My cat does not have any white just variegated patches of blonde, amber, brown and black.

Thanks for any help given.

Denise
Uffizzi (Norman Gugliotta)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings and welcome!

You have to use a photo hosting site such as Phtobucket to post pictures on the Forums.

Per the "Generic Wookie" costume standards:

Hair should be natural colors such as brown, blond, auburn, black, grey, or white.

The only color not mentioned specifically is 'amber' - though you can make the case that it is indeed a natural hair/fur color. You will have more creative license with a Generic Wookie; however, if you can find an example of the color pattern on a Wookie in a Star Wars movie, or animated series, or video game, it is very helpful. Once you have a pattern in mind, you can post your sketch of it here to ask for feedback from the judges if it would be approved.

Good luck on your build, and have fun with it!

May The Force Be With You
Norman
Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Denise, First of all, welcome! We have a couple tri-colour Wooks around, so multiple colours wouldn't be an issue I don't think. As far as pattern is concerned, most Wookiees have symmetrical patterns, but I can look through the resources to see if symmetry is a necessity Smile Feel free to ask any questions you'd like, we are here to help!

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Big Bear ()

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Thank for the information. I think my cat would make an awesome Wookie...hence her name - Chewie.

So looking forward to this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a photo of the Kitty? Would love to see her!

Legion Costume Judge
mattcamaro (L. Matt Darling)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my issue. Thinking about any animal and its surroundings. It would be very hard for this wookieee to hide or blend into its surroundings. I'm not sure why their is a lot of requesters to have silver or grey or white Wookiees. They would stick out like a sore thumb on a forest planet. The splotchy pattern would be odd.

Wear the Hair!

Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt makes a valid point. I'm continuing to look through the known Wookiees, but I haven't found examples of non-symmetrical looks yet. Lots of references out there Smile Perhaps we can help you settle on a design based on your kitty's colouring/pattern, but still stays in the universe? I do love cats!

Here's a good example for you of some of the colours you mentioned, this is Guanta from Revenge of the Sith:

Legion Costume Judge

Last edited by Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap") on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to bite my tongue on the light colored wookiee belief.... but I would like to add to the thread and say I would love to see what you come up with as far as color and pattern/look. I love ideas that mimic nature in some way because it makes sense to me. If it didn't people would not try to duplicate nature in camo. Smile Can't wait to see your ideas!
Dewkazza - Wookiee Elder (Generic)
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
Grand Moff Tarkin (ID-91919)
Tie Pilot Reserve (TI-91919)
Bridge Crew: Engineer (IC-91919)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at animals like bears and dears and lions they blend to their background and such cats and dogs have been bread and breads have been mixed so their colors have changed. That is why I said the light /bright colors in a forest makes little sense to me. I'm sure if humans could and nature dictated then I'm sure we would adapt or change

Wear the Hair!
Dutchwookiee (Hans van Beek)
Dune Sea Base XO
Dune Sea Base XO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouser , you dont have to bite your tongue Wink

There have been white wookiees in legends Smile

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tojjevvuk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uglychicken wrote:
Scouser , you dont have to bite your tongue Wink

There have been white wookiees in legends Smile

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tojjevvuk

Fact! Tojjevvuk was one of Chewie's arch enemies Smile

Legion Costume Judge
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will just say a few things and leave it alone.... Light colors in nature and in a forest, tropical climate, etc still work without man interfering. Just to give examples... koala bears, silver back gorillas, african grey parrot, lemur, siberian tigers that have a white variation. Some examples of land and air types...and some of my favorite animals on this list. The light colors can work because animals have learned to adapt. They dirty up their fur/feathers, they use nature and the shadows or whatever makes sense for their survival. It's about skill and technique. Colors may be an advantage, but there are many animals in our world that can point out that colors are not the most important thing.

I am the first one to admit how much I love any shade that fits on the grey scale and I understand it is not common to have light colors in the wookiee world. I just hope that people are not going to be discouraged or told the colors don't make sense when nature has shown it can and does work. These creatures even have an advantage when the planet is having less perfect weather such as rain or fog.

Lastly, I believe that the addition of a few not as common looking wookiees are a good thing. It shows variety like in the Star Wars works. On top of this, I for one will never break the illusion of a character, so I played it safe. When I go to celebration I will never be in the room with another Chewbacca or Tarfful and a kid wonder why there is 2 of a specific character. I will be a wookiee, most likely considered a wookiee elder due to my color. That is okay with me and I accept that even if in my my mind I wont think my wookiee is that old Smile My personal code may be a lot more harsh than others, but that is because I have been in the world of professional costuming in the past and I believe in the rules I learned to follow.

Thanks for the support in saying how I feel. I just really love to see people thinking about their suits and having a personal connection. I have put my own personal connection in mine as well and it gives you even more pride when wearing and making it. Even the name was carefully thought out with it's meaning. Well, that's all I was thinking... have a good rest of the weekend all.
Dewkazza - Wookiee Elder (Generic)
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
Grand Moff Tarkin (ID-91919)
Tie Pilot Reserve (TI-91919)
Bridge Crew: Engineer (IC-91919)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the conversation Civil. This is someone else's thread.

Wear the Hair!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bear
Sorry your thread got derailed Do you have a concept of your idea? It might help clearify things. Jamie and I could discuss any issues if any. Thanks you and Alan sorry your thread got off track.

Matt

Wear the Hair!
Big Bear ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'm doing this right.

I love all of the conversation on this thread and don't think it has really gone off of my topic.

The first image is my cat. She basically is 4 colors. Blond, Redish blonde, brown and black. These are the colors that I wish to use.

The second image (I hope) is my poorly colored wookiee. I do intend to keep him symmetrical but want to use all 4 of my cats colors. He will have mostly black (#1 on image of color chart) feet and hands (the paws) and a black mustache and black on the crown of the head. He will also have a black stripe that fades into the other colors up his back. Then I want to use the redish blond (color #35) for the coming from the eyes, on the chin, shoulders and chest. The rest of his body will be a color mixture of black, Redish blonde and the blonde and brown of Chewie (#27 and #4).

After looking at Tartiff I don't think that this color pallet is really out of universe.

If the judges could let me know if this would basically be approvable then I will start buying the hair. I have already ordered the mesh (I got the last stock that Joanns had) and the stilts and I am so darn excited.

Thanks everyone for all the great information

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: