Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3bf2cfcfc62f1ad2756484f94b05f7caMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Some information from the judges on tabards and outer tunics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 16 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Some information from the judges on tabards and outer tunics Reply with quote

I have been a Jedi judge for a long time, and often we see things "trending" in new applications for generic Jedi. Right now it would seem that there are 2 things "trending" that are not in keeping with the generic Jedi standards.

First is tabards.

We are noting that a LOT of applicants are submitting costumes with tabards that are very wide at the shoulder and then get thinner as you get to about mid chest or below the sash.

Note in the generic Jedi costume standard what it says about tabards:

g. Tabard width should generally be from the seam at the collar of the OT to the edge of the shoulder and be a similar width as the obi. A general width to use would be 5 inches to 6 inches wide (depending on one’s height and build). Common sense should be used in selecting Tabard width, and the width should be proportional to the costumer’s body.

It occurs to me that many people might be using the Simplicty pattern 5840/0606 which calls tabards "shoulder armor" and then adding length to the "shoulder armor".

Where this pattern is a good start, it needs to be modified so that the tabard is one width.

Also, the pattern DOES have a really nice "cheater inner tunic" pattern. I use that pattern a lot.

Next: Short outer tunics...

Also, if using the Simplicity pattern to make your outer tunic, note that the tunic has dropped sleeves which are also not something that most Jedi had and the outer tunic is VERY short!!

We are seeing a LOT of very short outer tunics. I am not sure where this comes from as most of the Jedi in the movies do have OT's that come to about mid thigh. There are a few exceptions, but we are seeing applicants with outer tunics that do not even cover their butts.

Outer tunics should at least be long enough to cover your butt and crotch area completely...
mid thigh is preferred.

The judges will not approve outer tunics that are too short and tabards that are very wide at the shoulder and go narrow.

I hope that helps those who are in the process of making a generic Jedi costume.

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to make this sticky, in some sort of FAQ? Or perhaps should some of this information be added to the CRL? (obviously not the pattern-specific comments, but otherwise)

Seems like important info to be buried in a regular thread that gets pushed farther down the line every day.

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This definitely needs to go into the CRL. As a prospective member who bought a costume without getting into the forums, I ended up with an outer tunic that is too short with sleeves that are too short.
wileecoyote113 (Jeffrey Hole)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - The CRL must be made more clear.

I have had issues on my 3rd Jedi build. 3rd. The controversy was regarding the tabards (which has the look I prefer artistically).

I am in the process of getting modded tabards - but with this build I went VERY high end in materials. So the circumstance has been frustrating. I hope that it all pans out in the end.

I want to add that I do believe that the suggested corrections should improve the look of everything overall - I just wish the standards were a bit more clear. But I am thankful for the feedback and help.

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumping...

Orissa Erte ()

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working on a "generic" librarian based on Jocasta Nu. Is there any allowance for patterned tabards vs. the embroidered pattern of Jocasta's tabards? I believe I read that any designs should not look like any earth culture, so I'm working with geometric patterns.

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orissa Erte wrote:
I have been working on a "generic" librarian based on Jocasta Nu. Is there any allowance for patterned tabards vs. the embroidered pattern of Jocasta's tabards? I believe I read that any designs should not look like any earth culture, so I'm working with geometric patterns.

Since there is no such thing as a "generic librarian", you would follow the "generic Jedi" standards that can be found here:

http://newsite.rebellegion.com/jedi-costume-standards-generic/

Orissa Erte ()

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will check it out further.
Yavin4 (Michael Avalos)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am gathering some ideas to start a generic Jedi build. I was planning on a white or off white tunic, rust or burnt orange color tabards, obi, pants and possible dickie. Im not sure if a robe of the same rust or burnt orange will be alright. This is the robe and color I wanted to match the tabards, obi pants and dickie to. Also would this robe be acceptable?

Thanks,

"That's no moon, it's a space station!"

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a whole the robe is ok except for the fact that the hood is probably too small.

Proper Jedi robe hoods are so large that when down, the hood should just about touch your waist and when the hood is up...it should "pool" on your shoulders...

like this..

Yavin4 (Michael Avalos)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the hood on my robe is to small then. I'll have to figure something out or get a whole new robe. I hope my color scheme is acceptable And are adding arm guards possibly acceptable as well?

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yavin4 wrote:
Yes the hood on my robe is to small then. I'll have to figure something out or get a whole new robe. I hope my color scheme is acceptable And are adding arm guards possibly acceptable as well?

arm guards?

You mean "bracers"....that rather depends on the construction of the rest of the costume...

as judges we never like to say something is "ok" until we see it.

Your best guide is the generic Jedi standards....and...at the end of the day...
bracers can be removed...

Yavin4 (Michael Avalos)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
Yavin4 wrote:

arm guards?

You mean "bracers"....that rather depends on the construction of the rest of the costume...

as judges we never like to say something is "ok" until we see it.

Your best guide is the generic Jedi standards....and...at the end of the day...
bracers can be removed...

Thank you so much for your input, I'll keep reviewing the generic Jedi standards as I work on the pieces.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: