Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=98143929c5d64c30ca61e55f0986ae93Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mon Mothma Rogue 1WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rogue One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jedibarriss (Teresa Becker)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Mon Mothma Rogue 1WIP Reply with quote

I am doing this version of Mon Mothma and decided to post some images and progress for the medalian and the shoulder buttons.

For my two other Mons I made the medal and buttons with hardened modelling clay. For this I decided to go the metal route. I used aluminum metal and wire as well as the appropriate cording as seen in the reference photos from the Visual Dictionary.

comparing

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Chandrillian Medal of Freedom I used an aluminum base and aluminum wire. I cut the wire , hammered it so the clasps were flat and used Epoxy to glue them to the aluminum base.

the original.

steps of replicating

Pieces set in position before adhesive

epoxy done

loops for threading the red and white

After threading
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The loops are a really cool way of getting the threading right!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robe and analysis . At first I thought there were sleeves in this version of her robe but I see it is all folds as in the one for ROTJ. The robe is very wide and the fabric is folded/pleated/ gathered up and gives the layers of fabric seen from the side. It is almost like a long blanket with a hole in the center for her head with the sides all folded up to create the structure of the sleeves.

Fabric folded/gathered at top of shoulder

folds seen

front sewn to back with seam down top of the side

fabric folded under

CaptainTightpantsCosplay ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! I'll be following this closely, as I am about to get started on my wife's Mon Mothma. After seeing Rogue One, she agreed that she bore more than a passing resemblance to Genevieve Reilly

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are too many variations in how the robe fold are presented depending on if using the visual dictionary, which also has differences in details, to screen shots. I choose one and worked on the gathering done to get the 'wrap around' look and tuck in the sleeve at the elbow.

It is hand sewn at the moment and may stay that way because it is pretty close to the book larger photos.

from the visual dictionary showing the left arm side

this is right arm side also from visual dictionary..

This is right arm of mine. No hem as yet

When looking at the full view the robe in the book it is about knee length and a bit shorter on the sides so I expect it is not rectangular and has more of a curved edge.
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. And I love that centre seam on the sleeve, it will make things so much easier when it comes to draping the folds and tucks.

Do you know the name of the fabric. I need to find fabric online, and I'm having a hard time finding something with the right texture.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to find the full width needed in the crinkle cotton so I went with a crinkle rayon blend. I spend many days hunting for the fabric..more like weeks for the right color and the crinkle.. Mood fabrics has some.
Mysterychix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is seriously impressive!

I went with the ROTJ Mon Mothma and trying to work with the braiding on the shoulders was challenge enough...

My hat's off to you!

Deb
aka Mysterychix

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered the booties for this and would like to submit it. Not sure who to send it to but I will write up what is included to help do the standards.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am almost done with this costume. I am sharing some details on the pieces of jewelry esp the shoulder buttons.

the two shoulder buttons are different. The left one is more oval and strung with the red cord, white cord and silver cording or wire twisted
The right shoulder is more of wide heart shape with the red, white and silver strung through the middle . Looking very carefully you can see wiring that attaches the cording of the necklace on the outside of the right button. Both buttons are surrounded by the white necklace cording but do so a bit differently, I could not make out any wires around the left oval button so I attached the cording in place with epoxy.

Left shoulder button

right button on shoulder

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some comparison pictures

Left side shoulder

Full necklace

right side

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underneath of this goes the brown skirt/dress and some booties that are like moccasins.

the closest I found was bootie type moccasins and I will post photos as I get them..

I hope this is of help to others. It is a lot of hand sewing of the shoulders and tuck in the sleeves. While the sides are open I did put a small tuck to hold part of the sleeve together and bind the sides , I will post how that looks when I get the extra hands here to hold it appropriately. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent in my photos for submission. I have been busy working on a costume for someone else and, while this was done a week ago, I finally got a day to get the photos done. It was overcast until I went out to be able to squint in the sun.. lol

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to those who volunteer their time to evaluate costumes.

This Rogue 1 Mon Mothma has received approval as formal.. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rogue One All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: