Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bff2a6053e7fe469167a3ed1412bc306Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Natalie's Slave Leia Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Looking great, can't wait to see it! Are you debuting it at Celebration, or WonderCon, or some other troop?

Thanks, Kalani! Hoping to have it all finished to be worn for Sunday at Wonder Con. I have a RotJ Han Solo coming with me so it all works out. *fingers crossed*

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update on work done and progress photos.

After trying on the bikini fully 2 days ago, I realized I am just too pale. Since I work an office job, I rarely see the sun. Only my arms and face are really considered "tan". I researched a bit and found what I think to be a great self tanner. It's inexpensive and color appears in only a few hours. Last night I tried 2 coats and so far am very happy with the results. I didn't want to take submission photos looking pasty white and half one shade and half another. Surprised

For reference, I used this self tanner.
http://www.target.com/p/banana-boat-summer-color-self-tanning-lotion-light-medium-6-oz/-/A-16600894?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Health+Beauty+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Health+Beauty&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9031584&gclid=CPal1vH03dICFQkxaQod8WkAoQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I added the painted icing tips to the bra and am very pleased with how well they work. I need some assistance getting the straps for the back of the bra to tie so will be finishing that up this weekend.

I also had a question on standards. When I look at this link to them, it states that there specifically needs to be a minimum of 4 chains on the collar.
http://newsite.rebellegion.com/leia-organa-slave-outfit/

However, when I checked the standards at this link, there is no minimum required link listed.
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8853

Which is correct and which should I follow before submitting?

Lastly, are my earrings all right or do I need to make them smaller?

Thank you for all the input on this. Hoping to submit this weekend if all goes well.

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme

Last edited by LeiaAurora () on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ends of the wig still look too much like a wig.

I think if you can put the braid in hot water and twist it until it dries it will curl the end. Maybe using a blow dryer or a hair styling tool in a very low heat setting it might help.
Base Membership Officer 2017
Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, to cross the straps on your back, you can do a sliding knot, forming a loop at the end of the cord, and adjust it to the desired tightness and hook to the bra.
Base Membership Officer 2017
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad Angie wrote:
Also, to cross the straps on your back, you can do a sliding knot, forming a loop at the end of the cord, and adjust it to the desired tightness and hook to the bra.

Thanks! That's what someone else suggested as well.

What about the difference in standards? Which one should I follow?

jen0farc ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for sharing your detailed build!! It will really be helpful to any of us hoping to create this costume in the future.

And CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss! What a great reward this costume is. You look amazing!!
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the standards question, the standards on the forum are really old and wrong. We're trying to get them removed, but the form admin are really busy. In the mean time, please rely on the standards on the web site.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper

Galactic Senate DCO
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jen0farc wrote:
Thanks so much for sharing your detailed build!! It will really be helpful to any of us hoping to create this costume in the future.

And CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss! What a great reward this costume is. You look amazing!!

Thank you for the kind words! When I set out to document this process, I wanted to provide information on issues I had and also to give more detailed photos etc. It was quite frustrating to basically go it alone in this as I couldn't find lots of reference photos. I hope it helps others who are looking to work on it. Very Happy

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a busy weekend but got some definite work done on this build!

First off, the snap tape. Oy. The tape itself is fine. Getting it to stick to the back of the plates was the issue. I forgot to sand the back and just applied the tape with Epoxy glue. That was a mistake. The snap tape basically peeled right off the next day. Confused

I took a sandpaper wedge and sanded the back of the plates as much as possible and then glued the snap tape again, this time using E6000.

I should also note that I hand sewed the gathered portion of the skirt. It was almost identical to what I did with Rey scavenger tabard wrap so it didn't take very long at all.

Even after the snap tape, I still felt it wasn't enough so I added some industrial strength Velcro to give it additional support. I also sewed a portion of the skirt ends to the elastic holding the bikini together. I want to make SURE this stuff doesn't fall off.

After all of that, it looked solid and stayed in place and, most important, was the same length in both the front and the back when I tried it on. Mr. Green

I also made sure the matte side of the fabric was on the front, per standards.

With all the issue of the hair having to be curly and look like real hair, I decided to start at the beginning. I found a great hairpiece at Epic Cosplay and picked it up same day.
This is the piece I bought and it luckily matches my hair color perfectly.
https://www.epiccosplay.com/35-dark-brown-straight-ponytail-clipon.html

I removed the hair clip and braided it straight down. I wet it down and used a bit of gel and then curled it in rollers. I plan to take them out tonight and hopefully it will have worked.

I guess my main question about the hair at this point is how curly is it supposed to be?

It doesn't look curly at all at the end of the braid. Maybe a slight wave, if that, but definitely not curly. Is it more it just has to look like real hair?

I should be finishing the bra tonight by attaching the leather cord and then I am done. Can't believe its nearly finished! Shocked

Last edited by LeiaAurora () on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The greatest problem with extensions and wigs is that they don't taper like real hair, so usually you have to thin them out in the ends after braiding. I've done extensive trimming and thinning of my kanekalon extensions to get them more real looking. Smile

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
The greatest problem with extensions and wigs is that they don't taper like real hair, so usually you have to thin them out in the ends after braiding. I've done extensive trimming and thinning of my kanekalon extensions to get them more real looking. Smile

Gotcha! Ok, that makes more sense. I was thinking that it needed to be curly Sue curly or similar and I couldn't find reference photos for anything like that. I think this new piece I am using should do the trick then. Thank you!

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Finished! Reply with quote

Well, it's been a long road. I can honestly say I have built this entire costume by myself. I painted, glued, sanded, stitched, braided, heated, bent and everything else you can think of on my own.

That is a huge thing for me. Even my Scavenger Rey was built with help from my grandmother. I am super proud of how it looks and all I have learned. How it looks on me is another story Rolling Eyes

I kid, of course. We can't all look like Carrie and we certainly are not all built like her either. However, given what made me want to start this costume , I am happy with it.

Last night I finished the costume. There were just a few basic things left that needed to be done so when I got home from work, I rolled up my metaphorical sleeves and got to it.

First, while I was building, a second coat of self tanner. I am very impressed with the Banana Boat lotion I posted about earlier. I notice color quickly and it shows up within hours. Considering how pale I was before all this, it's a huge improvement.

Then I tackled the actual straps of the bra. I had purchased leather cording at Hobby Lobby and studied the reference photos and also photos a few other members were gracious enough to share with me. I decided knotting it would be best and then stitching it closed to make sure it held.

Since I was literally doing this solo (Ha!), I went about it backwards. I knotted and finished the back of the bra first and then looped the leather over my shoulder and through the circles in the front of the bra. I also was able to add the icing tips and figure out how they looked in terms of spacing with the bra physically on me.

Someone had suggested leaving just enough stretch to be able to put the bra on and off by myself and that worked really well as I was putting this last bit together. I'll be honest. As someone who has a bigger cup size this does NOT provide a ton of support. While I am sure it will stay on and will not have any problems staying up, it has little to no support. I am super happy I added the swimsuit inserts to the actual bra. Otherwise it would have been really uncomfortable. I suggest that be added into your build if you are doing this and have a bigger bust. It works wonders.

When I had originally ordered the kit from Tomak, I noticed it only included the three chain links and not four. I triple checked the standards and emailed him asking to add an extra one. He told me he could do it and make another and send it (for $12 more) but that he didn't believe it looked right with that many as it messes with the bust line look. Regardless, I asked for the fourth link and that is what he sent. Now that I have tried it on, I can see what he is referring to. I also would prefer to just have the three or perhaps 6-7? Four links hits at not a flattering spot (at least on me). I found that the links were much harder to bend to hold the shape. I burned myself lightly a few times on my hands as I tried to push it closer together. While I am happy with how it now closes, I am sure there is a better way to do this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Once the bra and chains were done, I set about making new earrings. My first ones were decent but I knew I could make better ones. I purchased a gold toned Sculpy so I wouldn't have to paint it and also bought different hoops to use.

I cut the hoops in half and then measured roughly how much space I would need to accommodate the claws.

I baked the clay with the earrings already in them so that they would stay in place without glue. When they came out, I let them cool and then tried them on. I am much happier with this set.

One of the hoops is a little loose when I wear it so I may add a post of some sort to keep it in place but otherwise, they work great!

I unfortunately had no one to help with submission photos but I plan on taking them either today or tomorrow and then submitting. I'm super happy with how this came out though.

If anyone sees anything I made need to revise before I submit, please let me know. Thank you!
Leia Buns

Last edited by LeiaAurora () on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I submitted and everything was good except the width of the skirt. It needs to hit the ends of the plates, apparently. Frankly, I am glad that I was told that. I thought mine were a bit thin but it was hard to tell with no real pattern to go off of. I found some beautiful fabric at JoAnn's to remake the panels with and re-did them this past Monday. I cut 36 length and 19.5 inches width to give me more to work with and you can definitely see a difference.
I would post a photo but Photobucket recently did an upgrade and now is not loading any photos I have uploaded. Mad

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Imgur a try. I switched away from photobucket lately because it's just gotten impossible to use.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper

Galactic Senate DCO
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Imgur seems to be the host of choice, for the masses that are fleeing Photobucket's latest escapades.

Or just throw in the towel entirely and host it yourself, like I do. I got tired of free services changing their terms and screwing things up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: