Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=16ee8d48aaef61e2f8892b87602fc9dfMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Possible new costume for Leia? (Marvel Comic Universe)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
propsqueen ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Possible new costume for Leia? (Marvel Comic Universe) Reply with quote

Hi All! I'm currently working on the Leia outfit from the new Marvel comics. I'll add some images below and the start of the outfit. There is no standard for it as of yet - but I thought I'd attempt anyway. Was looking for feedback. I'm hoping to at least wear it to celebration - but it would be super awesome to eventually get a standard for it so I can use it for admission.

There are two separate types of images below. The ones with a full dress are my samples - sample fabric and using my draped pattern. The ones with the quilted grey are the actual pieces - there are still some finishing touches including after final alterations princess seams to reduce some of the issues at the seams.

I'd love any feedback you might have - I'll continue to post progress anyway because its a fun outfit. I can post further images from the comics. (There's a bit of inconsistency based on the artist interpretation frame to frame and comic by comic) - so I'm trying to come to a consensus on what it should look like by pulling together the best elements.

There are several changes right off the bat that I'm going to make from the sample to the actual piece:
*the hood drapes too low on the back so it will be pulled back up - it will be styled after her senatorial gown when complete.
*the belt will just be an aged bronze version of the senatorial belt as well. So same materials just different colors.
*again the seams will be princess to prevent the buckling on the front.

Samples:

Actual Piece:

Comic Book Sources:

Han Solo Series - Trade Paperback or books 1 and 5 depending on how you own them. https://smile.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Han-Solo-ebook/dp/B01MU3DJ6L/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489532457&sr=8-1&keywords=han+solo+comic

Star Wars - Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon -- https://smile.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Vol-Showdown-Smugglers-ebook/dp/B019G7ZQEW/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1489532493&sr=1-1&keywords=Star+Wars+-+Showdown+on+the+Smuggler%27s+Moon

Other reference images:

Last edited by propsqueen () on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally love this. It is Leia, but unique. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this!! Leia Buns
ROTJ Leia (complete)
TFA General Leia (complete)
Senatorial Leia (in progress)
Ceremonial Leia (in progress)
AOTC Jamilla (90%)
AOTC Corde' (in progress)
Mara Jade (501st Approved)
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice start. Smile

Even without a standard you can submit, you just have to send your references along.

First question: The references you have posted doesn't seem to have the grey piece going under the arm, but your design does. What is your reasoning behind this? It does seem to lie on top of the dress as it's own piece.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
propsqueen ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lora! You are correct - though in other references it does go under the arms. That's what I was saying about the same outfit being drawn differently in different panels (sometimes even in the same comic) so I've been taking the most sensible pieces and running with it (with this one it wasn't as awkward just having the panel just end - it caused puckering and and to lay weird on the chest).

I can see if I can find that panel as well - it was a bit of a distance shot so it didn't seem like the best reference. It's almost visible where she's kicking Han in the butt.... Shocked

However, it is something that I can adjust - I'm thinking I need to rip the seams out anyway to correct some of the puckering - removing the underarm piece is super easy at that point.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so excited you're doing this! I was just admiring this outfit the other day. The thing with comic costumes that shift in various panels is that as long as you can justify what you are doing with reference images, you're pretty much good.

Can you share some references where that gray strip goes under the arm? It looks fantastic so far.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper

Galactic Senate DCO
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this so much! Please keep us posted on your build. It looks amazing so far.

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
propsqueen ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on some of the feedback in this group -- and my own desire for perfection, I started over.

The bodice is now an actual store bought pattern for a workout sweatshirt. I started with making the bodice and then will add the grey quilted detail instead of attempting to sew it all at once.

The bodice now fits much better - provides extra length so I can appropriately attach the skirt and only took me about 4 hours to this point. Sleeves and collar are all that's left.

Will post more progress over this week. I'm hoping to finish the dress and pants (which will be a patterned yoga pants). That should leave me the boots and belt which I'll be going with the goldish/bronze seen above.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've done such an impeccable job with all of the seam lines. It looks so clean.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper

Galactic Senate DCO
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I've been doing research and planning on making this one myself. Thanks for sharing!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jenna; they look very nice. Very Happy I hope it all turns out well.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
propsqueen ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional progress has been made. The shirt was remade - grey detail adjusted and hood created. Getting closer! I've been attempting to take progress pics in case someone else wants to try the same costume.

What do you all think?
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is absolutely beautiful! You've done an amazing job. I may want to tackle this in the future. What pattern did you use for the top, please?

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great progress. It looks very nice. Smile

instarlight (Anya)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps these images can help for reference or making a standard? the placing of the bands looks more consistent in these panels.

http://swcomics.tumblr.com/post/159239930264/princess-leia-organa-in-star-wars-6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: