Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=98f266e58f1fa00e73640a3f4c721146Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Kanan Jarrus Build - Approved!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlemagne (Charli)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Kanan Jarrus Build - Approved! Reply with quote

Hello all!

I'm a recruit and I've been working towards joining for a few years now, but things keep getting in the way. Finally, finally, I'm moving forward with a project!

I've started - sort of - progress on a Kanan build, for the outfit worn during Seasons 1 and 2 of Rebels. I'll be building the soft parts first, before moving on to tackle the armor and leather portions.

I've also sourced a wig (from which I'll be building my own facial hair pieces for the sideburns and beard, as growing facial hair myself is not an option. Wink ). I'll post a photo of the wig here for review before purchase.

As far as lightsaber is concerned, is the blade required as long as the hilt is accurate, or does the hilt need all the working electronics within? This is fine, but it may delay my future submission while I install them into the empty hilt.

But! On to the progress picture! There's only one - I went fabric shopping with reference images and the CRL last night.

I found what I thought was a lovely olive denim-like shirting fabric that looked weathered, which I thought was appropriate for the character, and a fabric for the contrast that was a little darker but still in the family color family. I also purchased the underarmor material for his undershirt.

Last edited by Charlemagne (Charli) on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks and sounds like a good start. Smile And some of us just can't grow a beard. Sad, but true. Wink

Your lightsaber can be hilt only, so don't worry about blade and electronics. You can always add that later.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Charlemagne (Charli)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Looks and sounds like a good start. Smile And some of us just can't grow a beard. Sad, but true. Wink

Your lightsaber can be hilt only, so don't worry about blade and electronics. You can always add that later.

So very sad! But it means I get to exercise my skills in wefting and facial hair pieces once more! And that's always...enjoyable and a trial in patience. I've chosen a wig that's long, so that I can harvest the wefts trimmed off after it's been put into a ponytail, and wefting them into wig lace for the sideburns and beard. That way, it all matches.

I've also selected a wig that has a slight widow's peak - based on various references I've seen, to emulate the hairline.

Of course, if the hairline is not approvable on that one, I have an option that's simply a straight hairline here:

As for the lightsaber hilt, I've found this one without electronics - which I will add in later myself.

The blaster I've also sourced, and I have a whole roll of veg tan leather that will be used to craft the holster and belt. Hopefully next week, I can have my new sewing space set up and I can start on some mock ups on the shirts. Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with making the beard/sideburns. Smile Sounds like you are really looking forward to that fun. Wink

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Josek Lomex (Caleb Pennock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! I was lucky and didn't have to change/grow anything extra the character looks just like me... If you have any build questions just send me a PM I'm more the. Happy to help!

https://m.facebook.com/rebels.midamerica/?ref=bookmarks

Charlemagne (Charli)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josek Lomex wrote:
Good luck! I was lucky and didn't have to change/grow anything extra the character looks just like me... If you have any build questions just send me a PM I'm more the. Happy to help!

Thank you so much; that's very kind of you! Lucky you not having to change or grow anything! I've got hair more like Sabine's, short and dyed, lol.

Just moved, and my sewing space is slowly being set up. I'm hoping to start the mock up process later this week.

I found some lonely grey bottomweight poplin in a bag all alone while I was packing, BUT I'm not sure if it's too dark for his trousers or not. I'll post a photo of it this evening once I get home. Smile
Spectre One (Jared Crane)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in for you. I've got a Kanan WIP as well right now, I have very short hair and ended up purchasing the exact wig in your second picture (the one with the straight hair line) from Arda. I was actually a little disappointed when I first put it on and am in the process of attempting to get it altered quite a bit as I wasn't happy with the way it looked at all.

Things I am having done:
1) thinning it out, it's way too thick and didn't look right on my head (which might I add is a very large head).
2) Since it's way too expensive to have someone build the hairline out, I'm using the small space left of the lace front to cut back and round out the hair line. nun <- the ascii form of what I'm talking about lol.
3) obviously needs to be cut shorter since it's quiet a bit longer than Kanan's hair.

Hopefully you have better success then I Smile Good luck to you! Looks like you are off to a great start thus far, excited to see the progress!
Charlemagne (Charli)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spectre One wrote:
Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in for you. I've got a Kanan WIP as well right now, I have very short hair and ended up purchasing the exact wig in your second picture (the one with the straight hair line) from Arda. I was actually a little disappointed when I first put it on and am in the process of attempting to get it altered quite a bit as I wasn't happy with the way it looked at all.

Things I am having done:
1) thinning it out, it's way too thick and didn't look right on my head (which might I add is a very large head).
2) Since it's way too expensive to have someone build the hairline out, I'm using the small space left of the lace front to cut back and round out the hair line. nun <- the ascii form of what I'm talking about lol.
3) obviously needs to be cut shorter since it's quiet a bit longer than Kanan's hair.

Hopefully you have better success then I Smile Good luck to you! Looks like you are off to a great start thus far, excited to see the progress!

Always happy to have insight from others building the same thing! I've used Arda wigs for most of my costumes (the wig in my icon as Luke is one!), and some of them ARE very thick. Usually a good thing for insane cosplay type hairstyles, but not so much with more normal hairstyles. I don't mind the longer hair needing to be cut - I am going to harvest the remaining fibers for sideburns and facial hair. (I hope that turns out!)

I have a few other places I've bought nice wigs from before; I'll check them out and post some links if I find anything I like. Smile
Charlemagne (Charli)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I come with an update!

I made a mock up of Kanan's black 'underarmor' shirt last night. I made it out of a very cheap poly knit so I could see if the pattern worked well before I cut into my nice moisture wicking performance fabric.

The pattern was Burda 6990, and I'm still figuring out the height of the neck. I feel like it's somewhere in between a mock turtleneck (like a standard Underarmor shirt) and a crew collar.

Charlemagne (Charli)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at boots, the CRL says grey/brown boots. I'm aware that no matter what, I'll have to modify boots to look like his with the paneling, which is fine.

But I need to find a decent base boot to work from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rampage-Imelda-Women-US-8-5-Brown-Knee-High-Boot-Blemish-15913/381902539360?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3Dff046e87eced4fa7a8a4092d5cb7453e%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D371892264331

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mata-Womens-Daily-Casual-Knee-High-Buckled-Riding-Boots-Brown-Size-8-/371892264331?hash=item5696819d8b:g:-jkAAOSwsW9Yx~nh

I have seen. Can remove all the detailing, of course, and possibly use leather paints to give it the greyish brown tone.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for where I could find some decent base boots? What have others used?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, try to find as simple as style as possible. Low heel, flat across the top, no buckles or buckles that can easily be removed.

The first link seems to go lower in the back and I can't see if the extra stuff is easy to remove or not. Second link has something going on in the back.

Charlemagne (Charli)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks for the input!

How about these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SO-Authentic-American-Heritage-Riding-Knee-High-Brown-BOOTS-Sz-8-5-EUC-Womens-/262945551271?hash=item3d38c6b3a7:g:kB4AAOSwSypY95Gz

I can remove those straps and buckles easily without issue. Zipper is low profile near the ankle.

Not sure if the heel is a smidge too tall or not.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they could work, but you might want a second opinion on them. Smile

Charlemagne (Charli)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
I think they could work, but you might want a second opinion on them. Smile

Who could I ask? The FB Recruitment page? Who do you suggest? Smile Thanks for your help!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could always ask the lcjs or another Kanan. Smile Or wait a little and see if one of them doesn't pop in here by themselves. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: