Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=037aed042177d57c3b447cbca39ec605Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jyn Erso - Take a look
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NebularGirl ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Jyn Erso - Take a look Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I'm putting together a Jyn and really hope I can eventually join the Legion.

This is what I have so far. Yes, I know the pants are a no-go, I haven't tackled that yet!

I have several questions:
1) I'd like to wear my own natural hair. Is this acceptable? My bangs on one side are not quite long enough, perhaps.
2) Glove color ok?
3) Belt and holster is made of pleather. Should I upgrade to real leather, or could I pass with it?

AmongstTheJedi ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!! Just wanted to say that you look a heck of a lot like Jyn. Great costume!! Did you make your vest??
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE !!!!!!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Jyn Erso - Take a look Reply with quote

Hey Megan, I enjoyed watching this build come along. I am not a costume judge - but I am 99% sure your real hair is fine. I am also 99.9% sure pleather is acceptable. And upgrading to leather is your call. Again - I am not judge -but I think you look spot on! Hope you make the good guys soon!

NebularGirl wrote:

I have several questions:
1) I'd like to wear my own natural hair. Is this acceptable? My bangs on one side are not quite long enough, perhaps.
2) Glove color ok?
3) Belt and holster is made of pleather. Should I upgrade to real leather, or could I pass with it?

Finntheirish ()
Ra Kura Base XO
Ra Kura Base XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything looks great! the only thing I see that might potentially cause concern are the boots. I'm not sure if the costume judges would say the pleather contrasts the leather too much? I could be wrong, just my two cents. Fantastic costume and your likeness to Jyn is spot on!
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that your natural hair are ok Wink

There could be a issue with your gloves, as they appear more black than brown ...

I would recommend to upgrade to leather belt ... it will look better and your current one have opening close to 4 rivets instead of left hip Sad

My additional recommendation would be regarding blaster ... I would use different replica ... your current one is not based on Luger P.08 ... Sad

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Commanding Officer
coryphefish (Colleen Johnson)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, glad to see your post here! I was blown away when I saw your death star plans in the Celebration Facebook group. Where did you get them??

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
That may be wishful thinking on my part, master."
~HK-47
NebularGirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coryphefish wrote:
Hey, glad to see your post here! I was blown away when I saw your death star plans in the Celebration Facebook group. Where did you get them??

Thanks. I made it.
NebularGirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair wrote:
I think that your natural hair are ok Wink

There could be a issue with your gloves, as they appear more black than brown ...

I would recommend to upgrade to leather belt ... it will look better and your current one have opening close to 4 rivets instead of left hip Sad

My additional recommendation would be regarding blaster ... I would use different replica ... your current one is not based on Luger P.08 ... Sad

Figured I would get flak for the blaster, which is the one thing I'm not interested in getting rid of, as I made it myself. Thanks for the feedback everyone! See ya.
NebularGirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finntheirish wrote:
Everything looks great! the only thing I see that might potentially cause concern are the boots. I'm not sure if the costume judges would say the pleather contrasts the leather too much? I could be wrong, just my two cents. Fantastic costume and your likeness to Jyn is spot on!

There is nothing pleather on the boots, that's real leather I used to cover the laces. However, they could use weathering.

And thanks.
cujo66 (Bart McClelland)

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta go along with glove color, made the costume for my daughter and they do seem to be a dark brown. Can't say if the style is acceptable, but if they are, a can of brown Nu-life spray is probably less than a new pair of gloves and then some weathering. Otherwise it looks great. Vest and shirt are really good.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your costume looks great!

Your hair looks fine. My hair is also long and my shortest layer is half an inch past my chin so I think you should be good on that.

The gloves are a bit dark. Again, not a judge but as someone who has this costume approved, you may want to lighten them a bit. Just a suggestion. Also, make sure the strap on the gloves is the correct size. If it is too big they will make you remake it.

I think if you add a coat or two of leather dye to the boots you should be fine. Jyn's are pretty dark brown.

Be careful on the belt. They are very specific on the rivets and velcro attachment area etc. It's a great start though! I love your plans. I need to finish making mine.

Good luck on your submission and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to post!

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
NebularGirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys, I'm making slow progress...

I have since bought a 3D printed blaster. It's really small and lightweight compared to the one I made.

Will post again when more things come together.

Last edited by NebularGirl () on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
coryphefish (Colleen Johnson)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you interpret the part in the CRL where it says the pintucks need to "narrow at the ankle?"

I pinned mine so that the space between each seam was wider at the top, and they angled downward. It did take a while because I had to readjust after sewing each one.

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
That may be wishful thinking on my part, master."
~HK-47
NebularGirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloves arrived today. I bought a pair of the Black Diamond gloves then had them modified by someone more talented than myself. I think they look amazing:

And here is the blaster, 3D printed by 3DPropWorx:

The pants were a huge pain. I had to readjust many, many times, by doing the same thing. Alas, I think they are finally at CRL standards.

Boots and belt are next.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: