Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4569e292382d0a02f32fa97253d3e719Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Generic Jedi WIP - advice needed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGuide ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Generic Jedi WIP - advice needed! Reply with quote

I'm going to work on a generic Jedi costume, but I've got a lot of little unique ideas that aren't expressly forbidden (that I can tell) in the guidelines. I want to run everything by you helpful folks as I'm working on it, though, so that I don't get in trouble in the approval process.

Here's my initial sketch for the first few things I'll work on sewing:

The main things I have questions on (so far) are as follows:

- for the Inner Tunic cheated sleeves, am I okay to make them middle knuckle length, with a hoop to fit my middle finger through to keep them in place?
- for the Outer Tunic, can I do the slits on the sides as sketched? It still covers the butt and crotch as instructed, but I want to do something creative with the sides. Either slits or criss-crossed laces holding together the slits or pleats or something interesting.
- is the tuck on the shoulder of the Outer Tunic for everyone or just Obi-Wan?
- is the Y-shaped Tabards okay for the front and back?
- what if I wanted to put criss-crossed laces up the bottom 6-7 inches of the split part of the Tabards?
- is there anything you all see that you immediately know will not be approved?

I'd like to use the following linen fabric for the Outer Tunic because of the interesting texture:

Let me know if this looks non-approvable.

Thanks in advance!
jcrab3t ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there someway to provide some reference photos of the tunic and tabards that you are creating? That would help with giving you some comments.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcrab3t wrote:
Is there someway to provide some reference photos of the tunic and tabards that you are creating? That would help with giving you some comments.

I wasn't going to start cutting or sewing until I got an ok on the design in the sketch; but if it helps to see it being worn, I'll add photos of the muslin practice run as soon as I do that.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Generic Jedi WIP - advice needed! Reply with quote

TheGuide wrote:

The main things I have questions on (so far) are as follows:

- for the Inner Tunic cheated sleeves, am I okay to make them middle knuckle length, with a hoop to fit my middle finger through to keep them in place?
- for the Outer Tunic, can I do the slits on the sides as sketched? It still covers the butt and crotch as instructed, but I want to do something creative with the sides. Either slits or criss-crossed laces holding together the slits or pleats or something interesting.
- is the tuck on the shoulder of the Outer Tunic for everyone or just Obi-Wan?
- is the Y-shaped Tabards okay for the front and back?
- what if I wanted to put criss-crossed laces up the bottom 6-7 inches of the split part of the Tabards?
- is there anything you all see that you immediately know will not be approved?

-yes.
-mace windu appears to have small 'slits' up the side of his tunic, for at least one scene in AOTC (the one with jango fett).
http://caps.pictures/200/2-starwars2/full/starwars2-movie-screencaps.com-13314.jpg
http://caps.pictures/200/2-starwars2/full/starwars2-movie-screencaps.com-13376.jpg
so, a simple 'slit' like this would be OK, but you've shown more of a full-hip 'cut-away'.
I don't think this would pass (?) but it would really depend on your muslin mock-up, to see how it fits on you.
-shoulder tucks are for 90% of screen-seen-jedi. qui-gon did NOT have them..
so they're not required for generic jedi. but they're cool. so why not?
-yes, a single joined-tabbard below the waist is allowed. front and back.
-for customizations like this, its best if you can find examples in the comic books or video games, to use as a reference.
or the geonosis scene in AOTC. (this is a good place to search for generic jedi references).*
-the only thing that catches my eye is the 'cutaway' on the hips -- these might be a bit too wide. a simple 'slit' would be better
otherwise it all looks good (colors, fabrics, etc).

* ALL the screenshots for ALL the movies (frame-by-frame) can be found here:
https://starwarsscreencaps.com/

hope this helps. cheers.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Cobalt-60! That was all incredibly helpful!

I'm assembled a collection of references for the high side slits or hip cutaways, to see if that might help improve my chances for approval of this style:

This guy on the left from AOTC...

From comics...

Also an example of the use of criss-cross laces...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/KonoGaki/Jedi/ForceStealth.jpg

I'm still going to do a practice run in muslin to see how it looks, and I'll be posting my boots later to see what everyone thinks about them.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderate slits are allowed, but actual cutouts are not for generic jedi. I can see the inspiration from Nomi Sunrider and she would indeed make for a cool costume, but it's a character specific one and far removed from the traditional jedi garb.
If you want something like what Nomi wears, I'd suggest going for doing her full costume. Smile

The generic jedi standard is based on the traditional jedi and only your first reference show one dressed in the traditional way. The comics have always been a bit more creative with their jedi costumes. Wink

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
TheGuide ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Lora! I'll rethink my skirt design in light of this info. I do love Nomi's outfit, but I'll try to keep it more generic this time. Smile
dannv ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other note, the single flap on the tabbard below the belt is aimed at some specific costumes, but they aren't generic Jedi. Go with the 2 piece tabbard and you'll have a much easier time getting approved for a generic.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the generic jedi standards:

Quote:
c. A single front tabard, centrally located (covering the crotch area) is permitted.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made some progress. Boots, pants, tunic (I'm wearing an inner tunic too, but it doesn't really show up except at the sleeves Crying or Very sad), and obi:

http://imgur.com/a/UJ79f

I've got some nice green leather for the tabards and my belt is being constructed as well.

Any notes so far?

Also, I'm working on a Mara Jade and want to know if I can use the same lightsaber for this costume and hers. Or is it too specific to Mara and can't be used for generic Jedi?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lightsaber should be fine. Smile

I'll suggest having the IT's neckline go higher like Jocasta's. It just disappears here and that's a shame.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
TheGuide ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've cut the tabards out of practice fabric, so please ignore the sloppy edges. I'm just trying to get the right width, length, and shape.

Front:
http://imgur.com/U6TTTqS

Back:
http://imgur.com/nst7pwZ

I know the T-shape isn't the norm, but I'm following rule c from the standards:

Quote:
c. A single front tabard, centrally located (covering the crotch area) is permitted.

I've heard rumors that judges are getting stricter about tabards being too wide at the shoulders, but I think I may have overcompensated and cut mine too narrow. Should I make the whole thing a little wider?

Any other notes?
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabbards are a little narrow.

measure across the top of your shoulder -- from the neck trim (seam) to the outer edge of the shoulder tuck -- this is your ideal tabbard width.
(it's different for everybody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also your tunic overlap is a bit much -- you can see the edge of the tunic sticking out past the tabbard, between the tabbard and your arm, on the right side of your body (left side of the pic).
this should all be hidden behind the tabbard.

to avoid this: make the 'diagonal' line of the tunic-front stop at the waist, and then drop straight down vertically.
(so the edge of the tunic-front remains hidden behind the tabbard, below the waist).

like so:
http://imageshack.com/a/img853/3584/akjs.jpg
(the picture probably describes it better than I do. LOL)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: