Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c994a7dddb5aaefe9a596ebdc35fc6d4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP: ROTS Obi-Wan Kenobi
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pale Rider ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: WIP: ROTS Obi-Wan Kenobi Reply with quote

I figure it is time that I start up my own WIP thread for my ROTS Obi-Wan build.

I started the build with going the cheap Jedi boots from Ebay route.

They definitely look like cheap vinyl out of the box but with Terry's tutorial on weathering Jedi/Sandtrooper boots I think they look much better!

In progress:

Finished? (Not sure if I am completely happy with them yet but they looks much better)

Link to the boot weathering tutorial I used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd9o0XNGm2s&list=PLukaP8L597MPIP9hyynhrwXmA3-69YC6V&index=7

More photos to come!

Jamie

Last edited by Pale Rider () on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pale Rider ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up some pants from Old Navy. I'm pretty happy with the color. They look accurate and mustard-y. I'll have to get better shots of them as the only ones I have currently are the ones of when my vinyl boots initially arrived.

I am planning on adding some stirrups to them to keep them from blousing over the tops of the boots when I bend my legs as it bugs me when that happens. I have the same problem on my Biker Scout racing suit. Very Happy

More to come! Please feel free to leave feedback! I'm pretty pumped to join the Rebel Legion.

Jamie
Pale Rider ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for some fun stuff. I got my saber from Saberforge. Again, I'm lacking some photos. This time of it lit up. I opted for the deep blue LED to match how it looks in ROTS. The hilt is awesome and I'm really happy with it. I considered building it myself using parts from the custom saber shop but the neck width would have been too thick for my taste. They also are always out of stock. As this is a fancy costume prop as opposed to something I will be dueling with I opted for the more accurate option.

I had to re-film both blades (a day blade and a regular one) as there is no room for error on blade film length on this particular saber hilt.

I'll grab some photos of it lit up.

Jamie
Pale Rider ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my Obi-Wan belt pouches from Woodman. I'm extremely happy with them!

Jamie

Last edited by Pale Rider () on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pale Rider ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my Obi-Wan robe recently from Nathan (Psab Keel) who I got in touch with through these forums. To say I'm happy with it would be an understatement. The color is spot-on and it's really well-made out of fantastic material. I would highly recommend his work!

I had to do this once I received it....

Very Happy

Jamie
Pale Rider ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still to come:

- Tunic and tabbards. I picked up some really nice crinkle beige fabric for these. It is currently with a seamstress. ETA is April 9th!

- Inner tunic. I will be attempting to make this myself. Will post photos for feedback once it is complete. It looks like he's got three pleats on the collar from screenshots. I need to nail this down for sure before making it.

- Belt. I will be making this under the guidance of a Legion member local to me. I have the accurate pouches from Woodman and a great Saber Belt Obi-Wan buckle ready to go. Photos to come! I've read on these forums that Obi-Wan's belt is approx. 2.25 inches wide. Are there any measurements for the width of the thinner bit of the belt? I haven't been able to track these down.

Questions for you fine folks!

- Does anyone use temporary hair color and is there a recommended brand? I'm blonde and I think my hair is too light for Obi-Wan. I'd be looking to darken it up a bit to be more accurate. I'll share some photos of what my hair currently looks like for feedback. It was interesting going to my hair cut appointment and showing them pictures of Obi-Wan. Very Happy

- Any recommendations for adding the silver to the hair at the temples? I found this on Amazon that looks like it should work: https://www.amazon.ca/AMENL-Professional-Mascara-Temporary-Instant/dp/B01AVUUVHK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490897740&sr=8-1&keywords=hair+mascara+silver

- I've been growing my beard to hopefully be accurate and am currently experimenting with trimming methods to make it look as close to how it looked in ROTS. Photos of WIP beard to come for feedback. Any tips on trimming to make the beard look as accurate as possible? It's crazy how much shorter the beard is on the sides compared to the front/goatee. I'm looking to emulate the amazing work done by Craig in his build thread: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52599

Thanks for reading and thank you very much in advance for any feedback!

Jamie
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jamie,

Everything is looking great! Thank you so much for your kind words about my work. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread to see how it all comes together, plus I'd be game to learn about how to do the graying hair and the beard/ haircut. I'm tempted to get Woodman's pouches, but for practical reasons I want all of mine to be functional for storage. Woodman's look spot on to the real thing though! The paint is superb!

Psab Keel
lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pale Rider wrote:
- Belt. I will be making this under the guidance of a Legion member local to me. I have the accurate pouches from Woodman and a great Saber Belt Obi-Wan buckle ready to go. Photos to come! I've read on these forums that Obi-Wan's belt is approx. 2.25 inches wide. Are there any measurements for the width of the thinner bit of the belt? I haven't been able to track these down.

Jamie

Hey Jamie

The Main belt is 2.25" wide, no question. The Back Loop is the same width. The Accent Belt AND Belt Keepers are 1/2" wide

Dave
Pale Rider ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgtsbr wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:

Jamie

Hey Jamie

The Main belt is 2.25" wide, no question. The Back Loop is the same width. The Accent Belt AND Belt Keepers are 1/2" wide

Dave

Much appreciated Dave! Thank you!

Jamie
Pale Rider ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pants! As mentioned before these are pants straight off the rack from Old Navy.

Looking at these photos, it's crazy to see how much of a difference lighting makes.

More to come. Feedback is appreciated!

Jamie
Pale Rider ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belt buckle!

This is an awesome Saber Belt Obi-Wan buckle that I picked up here on the forums.

I'll be building the belt with a local member of the Legion once I have received my tunic and obi from the seamstress so I can be sure the belt is sized correctly. Will post pictures when the belt is built!

Jamie
Pale Rider ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to show some saber blade pictures with the saber lit. I got two blades for this: a regular one and a day blade.

Day Blade

Day blade lit up for fun. It surprisingly doesn't look that much different than the regular blade when it's lit.

Next up: beard and hair photos!

Jamie
Pale Rider ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beard and hair!

It feels really weird to include pictures of my face and hair in a Work In Progress thread. This is my first costume in which my face will be visible (I'm an approved Stormtrooper and and Biker Scout in the 501st) and it still feels strange having to experiment with how my hair is done and how I trim my beard but it's an interesting challenge!

As mentioned before, I'm pretty sure I have to darken my hair in order for it to be more accurate and I'm planning on adding silver at my temples to match how Obi-Wan's hair looks in ROTS.

Apologies in advance as I'm learning that my front-facing camera on my phone is not very good. I'll have to enlist help going forward to get better photos of this kind of thing.

My beard gets a little wild. I've been thinking about adding gel to it to make it less unruly for troops. I've been doing a lot of experimentation with trimming on the beard to match the movie. I'm currently using a #2 guard on the cheeks and jaw and a #8 (the longest I have) on the goatee.

Had to show the hair stylist photos of Obi-Wan in order to get it cut the way I need it. That was a little weird. Very Happy

Please feel free to offer feedback on color and style. I want it to be as accurate as possible!

Jamie
Fear_the_beard ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress looks great! Beard and hair are key and it looks like you have that handled nicely. I too had to show Obi-Wan pics to my hair stylist as well, so I know what you mean! Your hair color looks pretty good to me based on the pictures as well. Ewan's hair does have a fair bit of blonde in it, so I think you might be able to get away with it. Wink
Pale Rider ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear_the_beard wrote:
Progress looks great! Beard and hair are key and it looks like you have that handled nicely. I too had to show Obi-Wan pics to my hair stylist as well, so I know what you mean! Your hair color looks pretty good to me based on the pictures as well. Ewan's hair does have a fair bit of blonde in it, so I think you might be able to get away with it. Wink

Thanks very much for the feedback! It is greatly appreciated. I want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Next up is the tunic, tabbards, and obi which I should have in a little over a week!

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: