Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=21194231db0c6dd8363705dfc9555ff7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jyn WIP - all the versions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabari ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Jyn WIP - all the versions Reply with quote

Alrighty, since my original WIP thread was sort of hijacked by general discussion, and all my image links are broken anyway, I'm just going to start over.

(original thread here: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77273)

I'm starting with Basic Jyn, but I'm also working on Jedha Jyn and eventually Eadu Jyn. So first of all: current progress.

Progress as of 10/6/17:

Basic Jyn:

+ shirt
\ vest
- pants
\ boots
- belt/holster
\ blaster
+ gloves
+ vest badge (just needs red piece)
+ necklace
+ code cylinder

Jedha:

\ jacket (have a temporary one)
+ scarf
- comlink
+ backpack (although I decided to put all my R1 patches on it, so not screen accurate anymore)
+ baton

Eadu:

- concho
- hat
\ goggles
- hat light
\ breather (mask/tube/bottle)
- 5 greeblies on bag strap
- sniper rifle conversion parts
- sniper parts holster/bag
- concho comm badge

Scarif:

- data tape
/ data tape belt hanger

Other random Jyn-related items, for fun:

- fake kiwano melon (for throwing at stormtroopers, like in the animated short Razz )
/ Rebel storage box
/ Rebel water bottle

Last edited by Jabari () on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:16 pm; edited 4 times in total
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished items:

Baton: 3D print by Traywick Designs, painted by me. I used two sections of a toy lightsaber covered in metallic tape to create the extension.

Jabari ()

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyber crystal necklace (crystal by Inertia Designs, strung by me) and code cylinder (vintage Stephens dosimiter):

(The crystal does say "Trust in the Force" in Aurabesh, it's just laying on the wrong side to see it.)

Black Diamond Stone gloves, altered by me:

Last edited by Jabari () on Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping ahead of myself a little bit, but....Eadu goggles: I'm waiting to do the strap until I have the hat, but I found the goggles for cheap and decided to go for it. Nesco Sport Goggles, painted with acrylics and lenses tinted with Testors model car window tint.

Jabari ()

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarf (made from scratch) and temporary jacket (thrift store find altered and dyed):

The scarf is made from a cheap poly/cotton blend black broadcloth, then lightened to a heathered gray with RIT Color Remover.

The jacket does have a Mandarin collar, though the seams are not right, but I think it will look all right under the vest for now. I used Forest Green RIT to dye it, then gave it a good tea bath. I think I need to find a different way to do the stripes on the final jacket though, I used masking tape to tape off the stripes (endless cutting tiny strips of tape with an x-acto knife!) and then brushed on a mix of puffy paint and acrylic. It isn't very raised.
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some progress:

Vest badge is done, except I lost the piece for the red square, and have so far been unable to source a red acrylic square to replace it.

Blaster is mostly painted and assembled, just needs some weathering and minor fixes to the paint job.

Baton has been weathered.

Vest....well, we shall see. I'm going to a con on Saturday, but I only have tomorrow to work on it. Hopefully I can get it done, which means I'll have to settle for the temporary pants and holster, and no boot flaps...because of course I can't get to Tandy for dye until Friday, and won't have time to finish either before the con. Oh well. My attempt to weather the front fabric didn't work as well as I'd hoped - acrylic paint actually washed out, for once!

Also, I might be able to get fabric for the Eadu concho on Friday as well. Hopefully the fabric warehouse has something Smile

I also got the dagger hanger clips. My baton does not fit in them, so I'll be using the military surplus hooks I have instead. The dagger hanger clips look great though, they're perfect for Eadu.
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I manged to get the vest wearable for the con, but I need to go back and do the quilting and a new waistband, as well as weathering. And some hidden interior pockets, haha. Going to try to finish it today.

I broke some of the prongs on my baton at the con, so now it won't stay closed. Sad not sure how to fix it, might have to break them all off and add magnets or something.

I did get a nice dark green twill for the concho, as well as a hat base. Photos once my camera is charged....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: