Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=39e532d333ba4e5cf0ee1e0bfebbe872Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

another Jyn Erso WIP - AgnesAUT from Vienna; improved 04-18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Agnes, I'm enjoying seeing your build thread here! It looks like you have made some really excellent progress, and I am impressed to read that so much of your pieces started as thrifted clothing.

Your finished vest looks very good to me, and I like your solution for attaching the tubes. My vest is also very heavy and stiff in the front; I think that is just the way this vest is, with so much stuff sewn/glued on the front :-D

My only critique of your vest that I notice right now is that your top-stitching is very dark so it is hard to see in some places, such as the top of the pockets and the waistband. Perhaps you could try using weathering to make the the stitching there more visible, or go back and add slightly lighter top-stitching to those areas. I can see it fine on the main part of your vest, but at least in these photos I had to really squint to see it on the pockets.

Nice work, and I look forward to seeing your build continue!
Great Lakes Base -- Rey (Resistance, Jakku, TLJ and Training) Jyn Erso
Oh and that one time I made a wookiee: www.instagram.com/latch_wooking
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jenna, I really appreciate your helpful feedback!
I unintentionally used a different thread for the top stitches of my pockets (I redid them at a later point than the rest of the vest) and only realised that it was darker after it was finished. Or rather did not really realise at all since I was so occupied with all the seams and knew they were all there, and did not really "check" what it looks like for someone else.
Also, I might have exaggerated weathering at the pockets ;-)
I think I used the original thread for the waistband but will check that again.

I probably will overstitch the seams that are hard to see and try to have better lighting when doing the submission pictures.

BTW, I really love to see your photos and also those of the others in the FB-group!

XO of Austrian Garrison / 501st legion
jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding some lighter top-stitching to the pockets should work great. I would do the waistband again too if it is the darker thread; if not, wait and see how it photographs in brighter light before redoing all that work.

And thank you! I love our little Stardust Sister community on facebook, but I'm trying to be more active here in the forums now too :-)
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again I think "finally" is the right word here Laughing : THE SHIRT.
For some reason, this was pretty nervwrecking for me.
I had worked on it last winter already for weeks, studying the art of pattern building, trying to figure out various details and problems about fit, but was not content. The longer I worked on it and the more I studied, the less content I was and the more problems I saw. This might have been "nitpicking", and I got me really stuck.
So I then worked on other items in order to get things done.

Again, I developed my own pattern, which might have been the main problem. I thought I was being especially clever with things like "full bust adjustment", and having problems with regular patterns due to my not so standard shape - but honestly, does anyone have a standard shape at all? :-)

Evenetually, I also found a different fabric which I died a little,
and so here it is.

I also finished the vest pocket tools and the blaster.
I just have to wait for the clearcoat to dry in order to take pictures.

Last edited by AgnesAUT () on Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
coryphefish (Corellon J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks so good! I hate getting stalled on stuff that much, but it seems to have paid off finally!

- An individual who did not so much rebel as saunter vaguely hopewards.

2018/19: Commanding Officer, Docking Bay 94 Detachment
2017/18: DXO DB94, BMO Freedom Base
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Jenna's advice, I improved the stitching on the vest pockets. It was a good opportunity for me to improve the collar as well by adding more padding and re-doing the top stitches as well.

Due to good weather conditions and good lightning, I also took photos of the blaster and the vest pocket tools.
Vest pocket tools are are chalk holder and a torch / flash light which I adapted and painted.
Blaster is made by Alfredo Vásquez-Gutiérrez, it is made of resin and rubber which is cool because it won't matter if I drop it.

By the way, I have all the photos in better quality, but had to reduce them at the moment since I haven't decided for an alternative to photobucket yet and using my boyfriend's limited data space.

1. Shirt - done (made my own pattern)
2. Pants - done (fabric taken from a thrifted pants that I took apart completely; made my own pattern)
3. Vest - done: based on a thrifted jacket that I adapted pretty completely; recently, I applied red lining, czech hook, ALICE patch, more batting and better tubing and tie-quilting.
4. Boots - done: finally applied buckles (3D printed ones made by TaffProps, painted and assembled by myself)
5. Gloves - done: Black Diamond gloves altered
6. Belt - done
(6.) Holster - done

7. Hair - my brown natural hair with "irregular bangs" should be fine in general; since my hair was cut around chin-length recently, I bought some clip-in-strands which should help with the bun.
8. Blaster - done: made by Alfredo Vásquez-Gutiérrez of resin and rubber; grinded and painted myself
9. Vest pocket tools - done: altered a chalk holder as code cylinder and a flashlight for the comm link
(Kyber crystal necklace - done)

Future project:
(Scarf - minor modifications missing)
(Jacket - bought one online that I will alter a bit (I ordered custom measurements - it fits pretty ok, but they did some measurements differently, especially the length of the jacket and of the sleeves.

Last edited by AgnesAUT () on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vest is looking so good! I think the changes you made helped, and in the brighter light I can see the details and top-stitching much better. I like your weathering a lot.

The shirt also looks great. I love the fabric and the neck looks perfect to me! The only concern I have right now is the sleeves might be a bit short, though it is very hard to tell until you are actually wearing the shirt :-) The cuffs look a bit narrow to me, so, if the sleeves are too short, one option would be to add a slightly longer cuff on each arm. It is hard to find good pictures of Jyn's shirt without her jacket covering it, but here's a good reference: https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=689816&d=1481437335
But the sleeves might be just fine on your body, so don't make any changes until you're wearing it all and can decide!
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again Jenna, I really appreciate your feedback! Smile
I totally understand that the sleeves look short on the picture.

This might be an odd reason, but I wanted to wait for taking pictures of me wearing anything, until I have everything assembled.
I guess and hope that the proportions and dimension will look properly then.

I will be wearing the costume on saturday for the first time at Vienna Comic Con (privately) and plan to have photos taken at this opportunity.

AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boots are cheap lace-up faux leather ones bought online that I died. No zippers.
I sewed the two flaps (pieces of leather which I also died and added top stitching) on one side to the boots and close them with velcro on the other side.

Buckles made by TaffProps, cast in black plastic resin, based on a 3d print. I assembled (glued) and painted them. I also bent and added real wire which is attached by a piece of leather sewn to the boot.
I can open the wire and remove the rest of the buckle which is additionally secured to the boot by some velcro.

Here you see the boots before I adjusted them:

AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the opportunity to take photos on a sunny but windy day, before I went to VIECC Vienna Comic Con.

Last edited by AgnesAUT () on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonhawkz (Chris Moxey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Agnes!!!

Apologies that the buckles don't appear to have arrived with you yet. International Mail issues I guess. Hopefully, if you like them, you'll be able to upgrade easily.

A daft dressing improvement that I have found is to have a small packet of tissues , probably 3 or 4 folded in the empty pocket on the vest. This then gives a little volume without adding to the weight. The vest can get restrictive and slightly heavy after a full day's wear.
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Good luck!
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, I am so glad to offically be a member of Docking Bay 94 now and to have my third costume registered in total in the two legions after my Jawa and my Admiral Natasi Daala.
Jyn is my second costume in the RL and my first "genuine" Rebel costume since the other one is my dual track Jawa.

However, I was suggested or asked for three minor improvements / "upgrades" which I will gladly implement :-)

It is difficult to "capture" and show the weathering realistically and adequately on the pictures, but I swear the weathering is done and I hope you can see it.

*Suggesting darkening/weathering the knee straps, which look
too light.
-> I added more fabric paint:

*Suggesting weathering the silver wire that holds the
buckles on (it looks too shiny and some acrylic paint would
dull that easily).
-> I added some acrylic paint and did some grinding:

*Suggesting adding a cuff in the same material to lengthen
by about 2cm on shirt
-> The third one is still missing since it takes some courage for me and calm to alter my shirt - I don't want to damage it. I plan to do this during Christmas holidays.

Last edited by AgnesAUT () on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:56 am; edited 2 times in total
coryphefish (Corellon J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you're almost done!

For the pants strap, if you still need weathering, you could go over it with very very watered down acrylic paint in medium gray.

Your cuff is going to turn out amazingly!

- An individual who did not so much rebel as saunter vaguely hopewards.

2018/19: Commanding Officer, Docking Bay 94 Detachment
2017/18: DXO DB94, BMO Freedom Base
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, I took heart and forced myself to implement the last suggested alteration: to change = enlarge the cuffs of the shirt.
It is not only wider now, but also more visible due to doubling of the layers.
And they make the sleeves longer now in total (about 2 cms added in sleeve lenght).
It's hard to tell or see in the picture (I should have made the photograph after altering only one sleeve Rolling Eyes ). I think it will show better when I wear it to the next troop.

Future project:
(Scarf - make a new one; I bought some cheap curtain (poly-cotton-blend) and died it darker)
(Jacket - bought one online that I want to adjust (I ordered custom measurements - it fits pretty ok, but they did some measurements differently, especially the length of the jacket and of the sleeves.
Rolling Eyes

Last edited by AgnesAUT () on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: