Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1b183f46f13a394c9ca2cc267f6612a8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

HELP Han solo anh wip
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings -> New Recruits FAQ Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerfherder69 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: HELP Han solo anh wip
Event: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:00 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148593018@N02/shares/ce69V3

Hi I am needing help on my han solo anh costume. I have attached a Link to the pics of the full costume . I just need some feed back to see if they would pass inspection.
Any feed back would be great
The boots are rubber faux leather riding boot
Jacket has half moon on right pocket and pockets on back.
Gun holster and all all greeblies and droid caller. Blue greeblie is in belt
Dl44 weathered blaster
3 hole belt with 2 prong.
Trouser with pin tuck seam on front and rear seat seam.
Shirt with v neck and mandarin collar

I will add pics of me in it in a few days. Really looking to get regestered as I feel it is looking pretty good.
Cheers
Stewart
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if a few of those items will pass, but I'm not a judge.

How everything fits definitely matters, though, so it would help if you can take a photo actually wearing these items.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, cheers for the reply. i will add pics of me in it later .
which items do you think will need changing ?
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerfherder69 wrote:
hi, cheers for the reply. i will add pics of me in it later .
which items do you think will need changing ?

There are quite a few things that are inaccurate, but again, I'm honestly not sure how tight the standards are held up. It may be fine. But since you asked, I'll nit-pick it for you:

The gunbelt is the single biggest issue I noticed.

First and foremore, the gunbelt should be brown. In the photos it looks black. What color is it? If brown, nevermind... although it looks REALLY dark, though, and if it IS brown, it should be lighter. That's up to the judges, depending on how specific they want to be on color. Assuming it's not black, which would be entirely wrong.

Going further, while bearing in mind that I don't know how accurate it's required to be, from a pure built standpoint: The belt pockets seem very oversized to me. The disc greeblie mounted on the belt should be a lot thicker (and a bit bigger). The holster is definitely not shaped correctly. The holster should be capped with a teardrop-shaped flat piece at the tip, instead of tapered to a single flat seam like that ... and this is actually mentioned in the CRL so it may be a true issue.

Equally important, I think, the back buckle should be an elongated hexagon, not a rectangle. It's truly the wrong shape.

Some minor points (which are probably fixable): The pants don't have a proper riding seam... it's partially there, but it should run to a seam straight down the back of the leg, instead of curving back to the seam at the inside of the leg. Those look like CosplaySky pants (I have the same ones). As I understand it, that's not really an issue IF the blood stripes are embroidered, but since they're only screen printed, and haven't been covered by the embroidered stripes, you're short one formal item. (you need 3 of the 4, and currently only have 2 of the 4)

The shirt may or may not pass... I'm not certain what the standards are. It shouldn't have the extra seam around the V-neck, technically, but I don't know if that's a standard they enforce or not. It may be fine, although that depends on how it fits you.

The vest looks to have all the accurate parts (again, CosplaySky, I believe?) but that depends on how it fits you. The CS vests are usually too long on people. That may be simple to fix, or complicated. Technically the loops on the back are sewn too closed (CS does this for some reason) but that's very easy to open up with a small blade, then they'll stand out more.

Those are some things that jump out to me. Most are probably relatively easy to fix (add the embroidered blood stripes from eBay, adjust the vest if needed), but I'm not sure about that gun belt.

I hope this is helpful, and not overly discouraging. You may need to replace a few parts, and upgrade parts of others, but you have a good starter base. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow many thanks for the honest update.
i can confirm the gun belt is brown and finding the correct shirt has been a real headache. any tips on where i can find one would be great.

the jacket is from cosplay sky and fits really well and hangs above the gunbelt. i was worried about that as it came from china. and the pants from ebay i already had them taken in and shortened as they looked like clown pants lol

the holster ws from jedi robe and quite expensive
i will add a pics of me in full kit later to day please let me know what you think.

many thanks for the info Wink
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure that holster is not going to be approvable, at least not without modifications (if that's even possible). But I'm not a judge, so that's just an educated guess. It lacks the "tube shape" that the holster is supposed to have.

I have struggled to find a really good shirt as well. (Other than paying a small fortune for one of Magnoli's.) I found one shirt that's not ideal but once I altered it slightly for fit, I THINK this one will be approvable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351743264679?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=620683145799&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The next cheapest option is to have a shirt made. Khloe's Custom, on Etsy, has a semi-reasonable price. You might find a local seamstress who can make one for you. It's not a complicated pattern, but they would need to be able to recreate it from photos.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thanks for the link to he shirt. I have seen that one before and was in to minds to get it.
I may decide to get that one as mine is made of lycra mix . I will add pics as the full costume does look good.
I just found this link for the shirt

https://www.amazon.com/Han-Solo-Shirt-Screen-Accurate/dp/B01IR63ORY

What do you think??
Nerfherder69 ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, here ares some pics of me in full costume

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148593018@N02/shares/36h85B
Been looking for the blood stripes on ebay but can't find them .do you have a link.

Once again thanks for the info
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerfherder69 wrote:
Hi, Thanks for the link to he shirt. I have seen that one before and was in to minds to get it.
I may decide to get that one as mine is made of lycra mix . I will add pics as the full costume does look good.
I just found this link for the shirt

https://www.amazon.com/Han-Solo-Shirt-Screen-Accurate/dp/B01IR63ORY

What do you think??

I've seen that shirt. It looks pretty good but it's for TFA (Ep 7), not ANH. Else I would have bought one in a heartbeat. Wink

The shirt I linked is not 100% accurate, either, but I BELIEVE it will pass, as it has more accurate construction. The cloth is not cotton, either, but it's the least expensive one I've found that even remotely has a chance of passing, by far.

Nerfherder69 wrote:
Hi, here ares some pics of me in full costume

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148593018@N02/shares/36h85B
Been looking for the blood stripes on ebay but can't find them .do you have a link.

Once again thanks for the info

About as I thought. Smile

Vest looks great. The boots look acceptable, too. Shirt is what it is, a judge would need to decide whether to pass that, if you decide not to upgrade it. It might be ok, or might not. The pants, as I said before, should work fine, once you add the embroidered stripes.

(here is the link I purchased mine from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hope-Smuggler-Pants-Embroidered-Side-stripes-Solo-/271969740770?hash=item3f52a8e7e2 )

Cobalt60 has a good tutorial thread here on how to add them to the pants.

The main problem, as I said before, is the belt. The back belt buckle is not good, but I don't know if a judge might pass it anyway. The disc on the belt is also not very accurate, either, but it might be good enough to pass (a judge would have to decide that). The holster is a big problem. I really don't think that will pass. The CRL (http://newsite.rebellegion.com/han-solo-episode-iv/) says:

"6. Accurate leather gunbelt and buckles with capped holster, correct tools and proper droid caller"

They'll accept fake leather if it looks good enough, I believe, but the problem is the term "accurate" and the "capped holster". The belt MAY be considered "accurate" (enough, anyway) but again, only a judge can tell you for sure. But the holster is neither accurate nor capped.

This is what an accurate holster looks like (and the belt disc and back buckle are accurate here, too):

That's what you're looking for, in terms of a "cap" at the tip of the holster.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, once again thank s for the update i will see if i can tweak the holster and get those pesky blood stripes Smile
Nerfherder69 ()

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, if I get the blood stripes do I still need to do the seam on the rear of the pants?
As the back on mine will make it difficult to have seam all the way down due to design and it's costing more cash.
This costume is consuming my cash lol
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerfherder69 wrote:
Hi, if I get the blood stripes do I still need to do the seam on the rear of the pants?
As the back on mine will make it difficult to have seam all the way down due to design and it's costing more cash.
This costume is consuming my cash lol

The rules state that you need 3 of the 4 Formal requirements:

1. Pintuck down the center front of each pant leg
2. Riding seam around the seat and down the back of each pant leg
3. Embroidered bloodstripes. (about 1 inch wide by 1/4 inch high, with only 1/8 of an inch of space between each embroidered section)
4. No visible zipper on the boots

You already have the pintuck (#1), and no zipper on your boots (#4). As soon as you add the Embroidered bloodstripes (#3), you'll have 3 of the 4 covered, so you don't have to sweat the riding seam (#2). Those pants have a "partial" riding seam anyway, so you have at least some of the look as an added bonus. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet I just purchased my blood stripes and upgraded my blaster
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/487903825/star-wars-blaster-dl-44-han-solo?ref=market

What do you think to the blaster ?
Will maybe upgrade the shirt at some point, maybe next pay day lol
Can't wait to get out there in the full outfit. We are having a starwars event on may 4t and 5th and then my 1st comic con in london in July with hopefully the fully approved costume.

Cheers for your help bud, your costumes look the biz 😀😀😀
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Lots of upgrades I still want to do, too, but I'm happy for now. Smile Wearing it out for the first time next Monday, should be fun!

The blaster is not super accurate, but should be fine to pass with, I believe. Definitely a nice upgrade from the other one you had, and since it's 3D printed, it shouldn't be a hassle with those strict UK gun laws.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have done a fix on my holster and was wondering what you thought.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/148593018@N02/sets/72157683492163985/

I have used a thick tube with leather on the end and placed in side holster to give more shape, padding g and the end cap. Also cut out shape at top .

I hope this looks better.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Cheers stewart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings -> New Recruits FAQ Area All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: