Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ead3ba30e63797f5d05bedb27f5848f1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Resistance Rey questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefact ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Resistance Rey questions Reply with quote

Hello everyone! Hannah from South Australia here. Smile

I'm planning to make a Resistance Rey costume. Just in the researching stage at the moment so we will see...but already I have several questions!! Especially:

1. IS THERE ANOTHER TYPE OF FABRIC I CAN USE FOR THE VEST, OTHER THAN THE WOOL, AND STILL HAVE IT RL APPROVED? I would love to do it with the right coating weight herringbone wool so it's truly proper, but I'm hoping to be able to wear this costume in December. I'm thinking wool might make it too warm for that? (Australia remember) I can't even think of anything else that would give the vest the proper shape, but I don't know a lot about fabrics. I'm very new to sewing in general.

2. HOW DO I GO ABOUT MAKING A PATTERN FOR THE VEST AND WRAP TOP? From what I've seen here on the forum most of you Resistance Reys make your own vest patterns. I've been very observant of all the little details and the way the pieces of the vest are put together. Still have no idea how it's achieved though so this will definitely be a learning process.

3. WHAT TYPE OF FABRIC SHOULD BE USED FOR THE WRAP TOP? The standards don't specify this so I was wondering if any of you could let me know what you used.

These are just my main questions for now. I'm sure once I actually start working on the costume I will have a thousand more lol. So if you think this costume is beyond me, given my limited experience, tell me now! xD

Thank you!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to use something other than wool, but it would still need to have the wool look and the right weight, so it does limit your possibilities. Wool is not as warm as most think since it breathes though and it does also have the advantage of being an open vest.

For the shirt an off-white stretch cotton or linen could be a choice.

Just make sure all your fabrics are natural fabrics as they will be the coolest and breathes the best.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
thefact ()

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I think I will try to go with wool for the vest then. I was just assuming it would be really warm but I hadn't considered that it breathes well.

Thanks so much for your response!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had to choose between wool and polyester, then go with the wool. Polyester and similar fabrics hold on to the heat and traps it inside.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
thefact ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this fabric (in the colour 'Natural') work for the wrap top? Will it have any stretch to it?

https://www.spotlightstores.com/sewing-fabrics/dress-apparel-fabrics/knitted-apparel-fabrics/combed-cotton-jersey/p/BP80251195-natural

And I was wondering if it would be possible to adapt this pattern ('C') for the wrap top?

https://www.spotlightstores.com/sewing-fabrics/patterns-books/paper-patterns/tops-vests-jacket-patterns/new-look-6150-womens-top/p/BP80256374

Maybe it can be done without the gathering on the side? Or does that not work? I really have no idea what I'm doing! help
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one: Probably. Bit hard to tell with pics from the site.

Second one: Most likely, yes. Looks like a good base pattern. Smile

thefact ()

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah going by only pics online is tricky. I did email to see if I could order a swatch but as I expected they don't do that. Think I will just take the risk and order the fabric...

Yay! I've also been looking at another pattern (Jalie 2910) that I see others have used for this costume, but on every site I've found it on so far it would end up costing me a fair bit more. At least the pattern I linked in my previous post I can get from the same place and at the same time as my fabric so I'm only paying one lot of shipping costs! Hopefully I can make it work Very Happy

I'm so excited to be finally moving from the planning stage into the obtaining materials stage!! Haha

Thanks again for your help Smile
thefact ()

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some research I realised it was worth paying a bit more to get the Jalie 2910 pattern as it will require a lot less modification. That'll be much easier for me since I'm a novice sewer. So I've bought that and it's on the way! Very Happy

Haven't ordered my fabric yet though. I'm still deciding; wondering if this could work instead of my previous suggestion:

https://www.spotlightstores.com/by-the-metre/plain-linea-linen-blend/p/BP80360302

Huh...it was only like $12/metre just yesterday. I guess that sale ended.

Anyway, it looks to have more of a texture to it or something so I thought it might look better for the shirt. But again I don't know whether it's a stretch fabric or not. Wish I could just walk into a store and see it in person!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's woven so probably no stretch.

thefact ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh okay.

So this being an interlock knit should have stretch?

https://www.spotlightstores.com/by-the-metre/linen-blend-interlock/p/BP80340017

I thought it might work in either "Natural" or "Double Cream". But for its composition it says linen...and polyester. Sad Doesn't give any percentages. Do you think I'd be better off going for the combed cotton jersey I originally suggested?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably has some stretch to it, yes, but seems very uneven in color? I honestly dislike shopping fabrics online unless I know exactly what I'm getting.

thefact ()

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree, looking again the colour is probably too uneven. Thinking I'll go for that first fabric I asked about (the combed cotton jersey). Smile

I know fabric shopping online is definitely not ideal but it is unfortunately my only option at the moment; there's just nothing of the sort available in my town!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understandable. I do sometimes shop online, too, and if I'm uncertain I try to get swatches first. Smile Colors and texture and be hard to see/get right on the screen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: