Forum and Costume Controls

   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4cb65ff23e7b9d0e6b803577ae7c82caMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

       
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Kevin's Resistance Pilot WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO


Joined: 03 Jan 2016
Posts: 140
Location: Indonesia
Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Kevin's Resistance Pilot WIP Reply with quote

Hi peeps!

I've actually started this build couple month back, but currently stuck waiting for the tailor to finish my flight suit and vest prototype...

So far I've completed these few parts.

1. Helmet (Allen Amis)




2. Flare - made a 3D model, printed it and got it machined.


3. Chestbox - made a 3D model, would love a feedback before i print them.





4. Paddle - made a 3D model and printed it, will get it done in aluminum in a few days.

My next plan is to buy the belts and boots from ebay and hope to finish this in time for ep8 Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Redwillow ()



Joined: 10 Aug 2016
Posts: 136
Location: Florida
Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet paint job on your helmet, you going to add weathering to it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO


Joined: 03 Jan 2016
Posts: 140
Location: Indonesia
Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man! I will when i have to take approval photos Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO


Joined: 03 Jan 2016
Posts: 140
Location: Indonesia
Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on progress:

Blaster (self 3D printed, file is Brian Anderson's - @stormtrooperguy in thingiverse)






Chestbox (made my own model)




WIP on the electronics



Holster (following Redwillow's DIY)




Last edited by thisiskevin () on Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Redwillow ()



Joined: 10 Aug 2016
Posts: 136
Location: Florida
Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are doing some seriously Great work!
Glad to see my holster pattern being put to use.

I especially like the texture liner you are using on it.

So you are running 5 leds off of 2 Aaa batteries? They appear to be wired in series?

did you need a resistor?

How are you mounting the leds in there? On mine I glued popsicle stick wood inside to make a frame to hold them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO


Joined: 03 Jan 2016
Posts: 140
Location: Indonesia
Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot man! Really appreciate the kind words!

To be really honest i haven't got a clue with the electronics. Total we only need 3 LEDs right? 2 for the squares on the top left part and a green one for the middle of the box? Atm i need to rework on the wiring. The first time i did it the cables were too small and the whole thing almost got burnt... second time i did it it just wont light up for some reason...

Popsicle stick sounds like a great idea! Will try that when i finish with the wiring! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Redwillow ()



Joined: 10 Aug 2016
Posts: 136
Location: Florida
Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a circuit calculator that will tell you how to wire them.
http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

I only have the 2 center ones plus the green lit on mine, 3 total and i used a 9v.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wtyler3 ()



Joined: 05 Jul 2017
Posts: 133

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chest box is sweet. Any chance you are going to make them available?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO


Joined: 03 Jan 2016
Posts: 140
Location: Indonesia
Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redwillow wrote:
This is a circuit calculator that will tell you how to wire them.
http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

I only have the 2 center ones plus the green lit on mine, 3 total and i used a 9v.


Will check it out ASAP, thanks a lot! I'm also planning to only use 3 LEDs Smile Just finished weathering the holster but forgot to actually glue in the rivets...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO


Joined: 03 Jan 2016
Posts: 140
Location: Indonesia
Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtyler3 wrote:
That chest box is sweet. Any chance you are going to make them available?


I'll offer prints and other stuffs once i get my costume approved. That way i know that what i made is good Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO


Joined: 03 Jan 2016
Posts: 140
Location: Indonesia
Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another progress update.

Holster: almost there, just need to glue in the rivets and the webbing. Thanks again to Redwillow for sharing the awesome template and making a guide on how to DIY.




Helmet: done with the weathering, first time ever doing chipping. Was a bit scared when i started, but quite happy with the result Smile







Flightsuit: this is only the prototype made with some cheaper cloth to get the details right, so far i've consulted with the costume judges and they're quite happy with it. Only thing i need to fix is the left leg pocket. Dyed the elastics as well, now i'll start with the proper fabric.







Elastics WIP - Big thanks to Phil & Hoffman for helping me with this!
- Started with this


- Placed everything inside, instruction said to get the whole thing to boil then stir for 30-60 mins, stirred for 60 mins and the stupid thing wont boil. Apparently the gas ran out halfway through...


- Final result
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
crema ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 28 Apr 2016
Posts: 47

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the top trapezoid thing's front surface slopes down and connects to the front surface instead of sitting on top of the top. Also, shouldn't the knob on the helmet visor cover be on top of the key shaped thing instead of on the side and there should be light yellow stripes instead of silver? Btw your paint job is amazingly clean and nice! I'm sorry for throwing crits at you X(
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO


Joined: 03 Jan 2016
Posts: 140
Location: Indonesia
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crema wrote:
I think the top trapezoid thing's front surface slopes down and connects to the front surface instead of sitting on top of the top. Also, shouldn't the knob on the helmet visor cover be on top of the key shaped thing instead of on the side and there should be light yellow stripes instead of silver? Btw your paint job is amazingly clean and nice! I'm sorry for throwing crits at you X(


Hey man! Thanks for the feedbacks!

1. The light yellow is indeed light yellow stripe, it looks very desaturated in the photo. Very bad lighting and cell phone camera i guess.. :\

2. You are correct about the knob! I'll have to move it, hope it wont damage the paint >_<

3. The trapezoid thing is the blast shield is it? I think it falls down a bit too low and i need to glue something so it'll retain its position properly :\
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
crema ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 28 Apr 2016
Posts: 47

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisiskevin wrote:
Hey man! Thanks for the feedbacks!

1. The light yellow is indeed light yellow stripe, it looks very desaturated in the photo. Very bad lighting and cell phone camera i guess.. :\

2. You are correct about the knob! I'll have to move it, hope it wont damage the paint >_<

3. The trapezoid thing is the blast shield is it? I think it falls down a bit too low and i need to glue something so it'll retain its position properly :\


3. Ooops I forgot to say that I was talking about the chestbox! The top part that looks like a tiny handle has front surface that connects to the main front.
I think the blast shield shouldn't be too much of a problem if you wear it and it looks proportional.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO


Joined: 03 Jan 2016
Posts: 140
Location: Indonesia
Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crema wrote:
thisiskevin wrote:
Hey man! Thanks for the feedbacks!

1. The light yellow is indeed light yellow stripe, it looks very desaturated in the photo. Very bad lighting and cell phone camera i guess.. :\

2. You are correct about the knob! I'll have to move it, hope it wont damage the paint >_<

3. The trapezoid thing is the blast shield is it? I think it falls down a bit too low and i need to glue something so it'll retain its position properly :\


3. Ooops I forgot to say that I was talking about the chestbox! The top part that looks like a tiny handle has front surface that connects to the main front.
I think the blast shield shouldn't be too much of a problem if you wear it and it looks proportional.



Will check it when i get home! Thanks for the feedback man Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can post calendar events in this forum
The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred volunteer Rebel costuming group. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ™ All rights reserved. Used under authorization.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group