Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0c813b2f2c2e44e37d6dfba8b9d0a78bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebels Ahsoka Build | APPROVED!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katvalkyrie ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Rebels Ahsoka Build | APPROVED! Reply with quote

Excited to start working on my 2nd Rebel Legion Costume! Laughing
Ahsoka's been one of my favorite characters for several years, and I've wanted to make her for a while, so here goes!

(Also want to give a shoutout to the fabulous folks at the Ahsoka Tano Cosplay Support Group FB page. <3)

Went looking for some fabric at Joanns and found some nice suede-y grey fabric for the underbelt, I also bought a dark navy stretch cotton for the tunic (as I always interpreted it at slightly greyish blue), but upon reading the CRL it states it as grey, so I went and bought Cotton Lycra in Dark Heather Grey from Spandex World, and I think it's a great fit colorwise (& a nice weight).

I decided to use my blue fabric to pattern the tunic for sizing, but otherwise is super not accurate. heh.

Foam base for the hip armor, I cut out the inlays and attached them via duct-tape on the back to keep everything thin after covering with worbla.

Everything all worbla-ified. (I really like Black Worbla because of the smoothness). I also ran out before getting to the chest & boots as I was using extras I had from a previous project.

Smoothing the worbla with three coats of flexbond while watching a friend stream.

Vambraces with a comlink I modeled & 3D printed. I then installed three superbright white Cree LEDs (which like to blow out my camera but look amazing in person).

A closeup where my camera can handle the light, and also showing off two of the colored circles I molded & cast in Smoothcast 326.

I 3D printed the sabers (which will have to do until I can afford nice metal ones), some assembly required lol. Model made by CaseStudyNo8.

Now with nice leather belt bits! (& 3D printed saber hooks).

Priming & basecoating on a nice summer day.

Testing out a bunch of stuff with attachments finally! (Industrial strength adhesive Velcro is the bomb. Mr. Green )

The back.

Just bought supplies for the montrals. I really wanted to go the sculpting/casting route with Flex-Foam IT, but unfortunately I can't justify the pricetag at this moment. Maybe in the future. So instead I'm gonna try out JediManda's upholstery foam method and see how it goes!

Photoshopping my head to figure out scale Smile

Can't wait to keep working and hope to be submitted by the end of the summer!

Last edited by katvalkyrie () on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent start. Very Happy Looks like you are on top of this whole thing.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
katvalkyrie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done some work recently on my vambraces, starting the paintjob, and finally working on my breastplate (now that more materials have arrived).

This is my super ridiculously simple electronics setup with some white Cree LEDs run in parallel & hooked up to a switched JST breakout board.

Everything also got thoroughly wrapped in electrical tape after this step

Industrial strength velcro is my favorite attachment method. Like seriously.

Tried to get the weathering accurate to the show (and it is in terms of placement of the weathering), but I think I need to clean/even up the scratches just a tad.

I really like templating larger armor with funky shapes small in paper first, taking a photo and making a scale version in Illustrator that I can print out & have be symmetrical.

I went for the slightly ridged concept art/black series toy design rather than the entirely rounded show version of the breastplate partially because it looks better & and as a busty lady it allows for some extra room. ;P

Unfortunately the black worbla doesn't photograph especially well, but I smoothed out some of the lumpy bits with apoxie sculpt & sanded them smooth

Jyn Erso (Bekah Platzer)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say hello and that you're build is looking amazing! I've been seeing your posts on the Ahsoka group and cannot wait to see it all finished! I'm Sunrider as well, currently in PA but moving back soon, so I hope to troop with you!

Also working on an Ahsoka, but the young young CW version! Lol. I'd love to do pictures together in our Ahsoka's once I'm back! Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thanks! ❤
It would be super cool to get photos/troop together!

Hopefully I can get this all finished up by the end of the summer. 😄

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice progress. Smile But the armor looks a bit too big right now, so I think it needs to be scaled down again.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
katvalkyrie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Really nice progress. Smile But the armor looks a bit too big right now, so I think it needs to be scaled down again.

It's unfortunate that you think so, but I'm a H/I-cup and there's not a whole lot I can do about being a busty lady and therefore designing things for my body. As I made it the chest piece fits me like a glove, and making it smaller would have it no longer adhering to the CRL, which I very carefully designed around.

"Chest part: rounding shape that starts over the chest and reaches up to the end of the breastbone, large up to the beginning of the underarm."

katvalkyrie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to take photos of taping up my leg for the base pattern, but this is it cleaned up and on foam. The nice thing about patterning armor this way is that it always fits Smile. Though, my muscly calves means there needs to be some darts, but ah well. I can smooth those over when everything is worbla later.

Also cute little booties! I already had them, and they're pretty perfect.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how that is a problem. Good luck with it. Smile

katvalkyrie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got around to assembling and filling some gaps of the sabers I printed earlier. I'm a bit bummed they don't have space for a blade/light, so I'm in the process of modeling myself a pair with room.
Next up, several coats of filler primer and sanding to 800 grit before moving onto metal laquers.

Also started sewing up on my Montals/Lekku, and I'm quite pleased with them so far.

I do have to dart the area where it creases at my shoulder though, and hopefully that will round it out again.

Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great!!

[/img]
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
katvalkyrie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me wearing my lekku! Getting the thing to stay attached to my head and not pop off is proving to be a challenge, but I've gone and attached some combs to the inside which has done alright (but pulls on my hair something awful Shocked ).

I'm hoping the diadem will help with that issue somewhat once it's attached as it's stiff and will prevent the bowing outwards that the foam does if I look down or sideways.

But I'm to the spandex draping phase now and boy oh boy is it frustrating trying to prevent wrinkles. I'm not looking forward to sewing this part together because I'm afraid it will just get all wonky as I go.

EXTREME derp face warranted a emoji replacement in this pic, lol. But armor is all painted up, and I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

Finished painting up my dummy sabers, which didn't actually turn out half bad despite being a sorta janky 3D print. The power of sanding and filler primer Smile

Everything laid out. Still working on the boots, and I think I'm going to go with 6mm L200 foam instead of worbla here, as I've been having issues with keeping it sci-fi -smooth (On armor builds I normally do, there are more details to disguise some of the imperfections of the base layer).

Here's a closeup of some of the armor. Added some gradients for depth, and had fun mixing up an ever-so-slightly greenish silver to match Ahsoka's.

But it's coming along, and I hope to be submitting within 2-3 weeks (we'll see how long the lekku take though, there's a lot left to do there).

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done armor. The colors look good. Smile

Bets of luck with the headpiece.

katvalkyrie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished sewing (finally) and just about to start on the liquid latex covering.

But since I finally finished, I thought I'd do my first makeup test, and I'm super pleased with how it turned out overall, but there was the inevitable white > yellow markings. I drew them out first, and tried not to sponge the orange over them, but somehow they ended up mixing anyways. I got some great tips on sealing from the folks in the Ahsoka FB group, so I'll try again and see if I can solve that problem.
Also I need a bit more practice blocking off my eyebrows, but I'm just so excited that this is coming together!

Just boots (almost done, I just keep forgetting photos), latex, and the stripes on her lekku to go!

mykejr ()

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. You also nailed the sabers they are done nicely. Can't wait to see the end result
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: