Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=58f9f9f3cf68edadc9f341aef1c0a2bdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebels Ahsoka Build | APPROVED!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. Smile You are getting there.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
katvalkyrie ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life got a bit hectic over the last few weeks so I haven't updated this thread.

But here's the last part of work in progress pics and the final shots I submitted. Just now waiting to hear back!

---

I started covering the spandex with liquid latex in ~5ish coats with a cheap sponge brush and used most of my container in the process. (It's a good idea to make sure the first coat is thick and heavy and penetrates through the spandex into the foam , as that will keep there from being more wrinkles later if it seperates)

However, the latex caused some issues with the back lek, and it collapsed in on itself and stuck out much farther than it had before when I was wearing it

This was super unacceptable to me so I had a good cry and attempted to figure out a way to fix it.

I had some 1" foam I hadn't used and I ended up layering it and carving it to shape. I did it this way because unlike the previous attempt it wouldn't be hollow & collapsible.

Further refinement with a knife.

It was a bit too rough for the spandex to stay smooth, so I sewed on a layer of thin quilter's batting, which worked surprisingly well.

Here’s the old back lek cut out and the latex+spandex peeled away

I hand sewed in the new one and layered the batting over the seam to help hide it.

This did mean that I had to do more spandex draping Sad

Here's a progress shot of my boots, which I made with 6mm EVA foam from TNT Cosplay Supply. I rounded over the edges with my dremel & also added the grooves.

I used Downen Creative Studios' tutorial for adding zippers to EVA.

I love adding some weathering & gradients, it's my favorite step of any build.

Boots!

I made the stirrup-y things from the same leather I used for the belt and they velcro on to the boot over the zipper. It's so much easier to have it be a faux strap than it would be to have to deal with it while putting on the boot covers.

Because I was in a hurry (& 90% of the latex application happened late at night while not wearing pants), I don’t have any pics of the lekku between that stage and the paint stage. I also took some time and dremeled off some of the drips & lumpy areas to smooth everything out before painting.

I mixed up a dark and slightly grey blue acrylic paint and hand brushed on the designs from a whole pile of reference photos. I messed up a bit and covered the mistakes with white paint & then white latex (but I found out that latex doesn’t like going on over acrylic Razz)

And my submission photos!

The one thing I will say is that your head is super immobile while wearing this in order to keep it from sliding off, and I’m still trying to find a way to keep it more secure, so hopefully I can fix it so there's a decently pleasant wearing experience.

katvalkyrie ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my approval message the other day! Super proud Very Happy

mykejr ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. Perfect build.
Calexandra ()

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! This has been a fun build to follow, looks fantastic all finished!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: