Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=114436b5d757a53e46c4e3c6ae8adfe8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

CANCELLED: 64th Annual Nashville Christmas Parade
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Corellian Base -> Corellian Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: CANCELLED: 64th Annual Nashville Christmas Parade
Event starting Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:00 pm for 3 hours

On Friday, November 3rd, I received the following e-mail from the parade committee:
Quote:
Hello

Thank you for your interest in the parade.

Unfortunately I need to inform you that we are full for the parade this year.

Thank you for all your time!

So the parade has been cancelled. We will try again next year.

Last edited by GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten) on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:54 am; edited 33 times in total
FallenJedi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a fun parade, Thank you for organizing.
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in. I'll bring my X-Wing pilot gear.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated the roster on the main post; it isn't limited to 30. Last year I added the attendees, the maybes, and the handlers together, rounded it up and submitted it to the parade committee.

After that, we are restricted to whatever I tell them on the form.
galacticat ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I don't want to cause a big stink, but what if I wanted to do Rey? Is this an official RL/501st event or is anyone invited? I didn't think Britt's Rey was approved yet.

Not saying I definitely want to do Rey for this particular event, but.. what's the protocol on this? Shouldn't approved members get first dibs? (I can understand if the event is coming up soon and a character is unclaimed, which happened with me and Leia at the John Williams concert, but.. this is months away.)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think her Rey is approved yet, either.

I am fine with having multiples of the same character. It would really help to have one on the left side of the street and one on the right. Kids were running into the street to get their pictures with us.

I don't want to cause a big stink either, so please understand what I about to say is not meant to guilt-trip or point fingers and is not meant as an angry rant.

Last year I had a great time doing the parade, and so did everyone else. But we had the invite going to the big three groups (RL, 501st, and the Mercs) as well as neighboring bases and garrisons, yet could only manage 20 people. Not bad, but we could have done better. We used to easily manage two or even three times that at our Christmas parades.

A few weeks later I did a cosplay collective hospital visit, and there were 35+ people that showed up! It was a mad house. I cannot recall the last time any local event we have done has had that many people. It may be close to a decade since we had that many at an event.

That is pretty much been par for the course in the local Base/Garrison for the last couple of years. We just can't muster the numbers like we used to, no matter the season, the weather, or the scale of the event.

Half the reason I am allowing multiple main characters is that recent experience has taught me to expect a lot of no shows. I kind of figure I need to sign up two or three of a main character in order to have a good chance of having one. I feel like having multiples of the same character is a better problem to have than none.

The Cosplay Collective crew is like what we used to be when we were starting out and it was all new. We would troop any time, any where. A minor event could get at least a dozen people in costume at a moments notice. A big major event with some lead time had 50+ with people driving across state lines, even flying there and back, getting hotel rooms and so on.

We could really us some of that.
galacticat ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I totally agree with you on all of that! I'd love to see bigger numbers at events. (I haven't been able to make many events myself, partially because I have to drive an hour to most things and partially because I spent the past several months moving and planning a wedding and whatnot.)

I know most Legion events discourage duplicates (which I tend to agree with) and I just assumed it was the same for this one - not sure if you mentioned it in the description, if so I overlooked it. But thanks for clarifying!

I think the thing with CC is that they allow anyone and everyone - there's no approval process on costumes. Which I kind of have mixed feelings about, personally, though this isn't the place to discuss that. Wink That, and a lot of the people are younger and/or newer to costuming. It's new and fun to them, they may have less obligations, etc. It would be awesome if we could get some of them to join the RL and 501st, but I could see the approval process being too discouraging for them (hell, it's discouraging to me, and I'm a perfectionist who throws way too much money into costumes).

Anyway, thanks for the thorough response! I'd love to figure out a way to get our numbers up.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

galacticat wrote:
(I haven't been able to make many events myself, partially because I have to drive an hour to most things and partially because I spent the past several months moving and planning a wedding and whatnot.)

I completely understand. I've missed many events myself, either as a no show or cancelling late, or sometimes just forgetting. Real life comes first.

galacticat wrote:
I know most Legion events discourage duplicates (which I tend to agree with) and I just assumed it was the same for this one - not sure if you mentioned it in the description, if so I overlooked it. But thanks for clarifying!

I didn't really mention it either here or on the MSG. I was going to deal with if and when it became necessary.
FallenJedi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a large event and having duplicate characters will not be a problem. As Matt indicated we really need numbers to help make a good impact and anyone on the path to membership is welcome to join us.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is using a mobility scooter in the parade allowed? And can the shuttle bus accommodate one?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granny-Wan wrote:
Is using a mobility scooter in the parade allowed? And can the shuttle bus accommodate one?

The route is about 1 mile long and goes down Broadway then up 2nd Avenue, then we go across the the Woodland Street bridge and turn back into the park for LP field. If your scooter can handle that, then you should be good.

I don't know about the shuttle being accessible or not, but I will check.
Hawaii_Rex ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt for all your hard work putting this together!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received an invite from the parade committee along with an application form and a letter detailing some new rules. I will elaborate further when I return from vacation, but the main thing is that everyone will need to fill out and sign a release form for purposes of appearing on TV no later than November 20.
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
Granny-Wan wrote:

The route is about 1 mile long and goes down Broadway then up 2nd Avenue, then we go across the the Woodland Street bridge and turn back into the park for LP field. If your scooter can handle that, then you should be good.

I don't know about the shuttle being accessible or not, but I will check.

I can go 10-12 miles on one battery charge. It's whether or not I can to and from the starting/ending point. If parking is reasonable close I wouldn't need the shuttle.
galacticat ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah crap. Just realized I'll be at Yama-Con this weekend. Crying or Very sad

Maybe we can get enough people together for the Gatlinburg parade...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Corellian Base -> Corellian Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: