Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3aa1a7ab2b50dcc9cf666168dfd1bca8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jyn Erso WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just had a thought. If material I've ordered isn't close enough would removing the current waistband and adding new material to it under where the original tab will cover it work?

Possibly, but if the new fabric isn't close enough, you'll still have a problem with the casings. I'd recommend talking with your judge and explaining you need more time, and then doing as Christ recced and getting a sample first.

Quote:
Only problem I can see us the pintucks not extending far enough.

That's what I was afraid of. Your judge wants you to raise the casing, and we don't want to have a chunk where there are no pin tucks.

I'm struggling to tell what I'm looking at in your picture. How large is the hem on the pants? Is there fabric there that can be "let out?" When I made mine, I tucked all the extra up inside the pants but different people do things differently.

I'm also concerned because it looks like the pintuck part is a separate panel from the top part based on your picture. You mentioned that the casing was just laid over the pants so I might not be looking at this right. Could you take a further away shot so I can get my bearings when looking at the close up you already posted?

We'll find a solution, but we're going to need to figure out the easiest, least work solution first. Wink
Vicky114 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amelia wrote:
Quote:
Just had a thought. If material I've ordered isn't close enough would removing the current waistband and adding new material to it under where the original tab will cover it work?

Possibly, but if the new fabric isn't close enough, you'll still have a problem with the casings. I'd recommend talking with your judge and explaining you need more time, and then doing as Christ recced and getting a sample first.

Quote:
Only problem I can see us the pintucks not extending far enough.

That's what I was afraid of. Your judge wants you to raise the casing, and we don't want to have a chunk where there are no pin tucks.

I'm struggling to tell what I'm looking at in your picture. How large is the hem on the pants? Is there fabric there that can be "let out?" When I made mine, I tucked all the extra up inside the pants but different people do things differently.

I'm also concerned because it looks like the pintuck part is a separate panel from the top part based on your picture. You mentioned that the casing was just laid over the pants so I might not be looking at this right. Could you take a further away shot so I can get my bearings when looking at the close up you already posted?

We'll find a solution, but we're going to need to figure out the easiest, least work solution first. Wink

I'll take better pics at home later. But for now
https://imgur.com/a/PUL8S

It doesn't appear there's extra fabric above the pintucks to use. But it does look like there is a small amount at the hem. I can't tell exactly how much from the pic I've found but it's a start.
Vicky114 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With casings I might have found s solution to raising them about an 1incg.i have about half inch of hem and about the same in length I can release to keep the overall length the same. Then before I attach new casings I can fold that extra in under the casing above the knee to raise them. But that's all I have to play with for raising.
Vicky114 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my material hasn't been shipped yet I made a start on the vest.

I removed all stitching from before and quilted it according to the pattern but since it was stitched some of the material is staying down and making it look wrong.

Any ideas how to fix it?

https://imgur.com/nvP7ZXg
Vicky114 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky114 wrote:

I removed all stitching from before and quilted it according to the pattern but since it was stitched some of the material is staying down and making it look wrong.

Any ideas how to fix it?

When you blank out the previous stitch lines it looks pretty good.
https://imgur.com/nqyxinW

Will the fabric settle itself back out?
jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky114 wrote:
Vicky114 wrote:

Any ideas how to fix it?

When you blank out the previous stitch lines it looks pretty good.
https://imgur.com/nqyxinW

Will the fabric settle itself back out?

What have you tried so far?
Steaming it I think would help get some of that out. If you don’t have a steamer, steam from a clothes iron or even putting it in a bathroom with the fan off and shower running on very hot could work.
Great Lakes Base -- Rey (Resistance, Jakku, TLJ and Training) Jyn Erso
Oh and that one time I made a wookiee: www.instagram.com/latch_wooking
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have access to a dryer, my life long secret to removing wrinkles and why I did not have an iron before December 2017 is that I would toss the wrinkled clothes into the dryer with a damp towel and tumble it on low or medium for about 30 minutes.

And now I have an iron but I still usually use the dryer because it's easier.

EDIT - Jenna just pointed out on FB to remove the 3D print parts first. I forgot about those since mine are velcroed and I just yank them off for washing. But yes, do that!
Vicky114 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm winning I think

So far this is using Jennas warm damp towel idea as I got home late last night. It seems to be working. I'll redo a few quilts later and make them a touch bigger.

https://imgur.com/WBJQrG0
Vicky114 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am finally happy with it

https://imgur.com/a/vGJzf
https://imgur.com/UltLjPG

A bit of weathering and I think I'm done
Vicky114 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waistband is fixed

https://imgur.com/OvJ1heC
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on the waistband!

Okay, the casings.

You'll want to remove the old casings. Get a look at what you're working with and determine whether you're going to need to raise the pintuck portion. The pintucks need to start right under your casings and your casings should be right under your knee. Mine actually sit on the bottom part of my knee. Let me know if you want ideas on raising the pintuck portion.

To make the actual casings:

I am a big fan of making tubes of fabric. For my casings, I laid out my fabric. From one edge, I measured in 1/2" and then I laid down my strap. I folded everything over on itself, then drew a line where the top edge of the fabric ended after being folded. I cut out this line. You're going to have extra fabric in your tube to begin, since your strap goes all the way around your leg but your tube will not.

Unfold your fabric. At one of the short ends, fold in 3/8" and then fold that over on itself once more. If you have an iron, press it. If not, pins work. Sew along the inside of the folded edge. This is one of your casing openings.

Go back and refold it in half longways. The hem you made on the short side should be OUTSIDE the folded-in-half fabric (because we're going to turn it inside out eventually and then it will be on the inside). You'll have a long side that is the length of your strap, and a short side that is the width of your strap plus 1/2". Measure in from the long side where the two open pieces (not the folded piece) 3/8" (this will give a little room for the strap to slide so you can put it in. Draw a line across. Sew up that line.

You now have a tube. Turn it inside out. I put my long sewn edge as the bottom. If you want, you can press it again.

Take the hem and position it so it is to the outside of your knee. You should have enough space to put both the white rectangles on it and have those white rectangles be to the outside of the knee. Pin in place. Wrap the tube around the back of your leg until it reaches the spot shown on the picture your judge sent you. Let out about another inch past that position and mark (I use a grease pencil but you can use anything. One time, I used a paperclip to mark something).

Unpin your casings from your pants and find your mark. Again, the mark should be the length your judge wants plus 1". Cut at the mark. Turn the end with the mark partially inside out and fold the edge 1/2", then a second 1/2" to make a hem. Sew your hem up, making sure not to sew the casing closed. (I sewed my casing closed at least twice and I sewed my pants legs closed so many times I lost count, which is why I'm saying this. It seems obvious. I still failed. haha).

Once you have your casing hemmed, repin it into position on your pants. I did this by putting on the pants and using safety pins to hold it where I wanted it. Sew carefully along the top edge, attaching it to your pants. After the top edge is sewn, repeat with the bottom edge. If you're using a sewing machine, this will be a bit of a nightmare. Keep going. It sucks, but it's doable.

Attach your white rectangles in the front. Thread your strap through. Repeat on the other leg.
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you did it - congratulations!!!

XO of Austrian Garrison / 501st legion
Vicky114 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou
Vicky114 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I add this to my Jyn please?

https://imgur.com/ItrcsQY
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the question is are you allowed to add new items from the optional list after you've been approved, that is something you can do. In order to do that, you need to contact a judge. When I added my optional items, I PM'ed one of the judges and they took a look at it, then responded via PM with what I needed to change. I made the changes, PM'ed the judge again, and got a PM telling me it was good to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: