Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f226018dada992480555c2427f918230Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

EP8 Rey - Dawn Bright - Standard Mockup- Ref Images and more
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arym Kalynsar (Amy Kelly)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediJainaSolo wrote:
We have a LOT of girls with their costumes nearly done who would like to start trooping with this costume, and it would be sad if the standard got hung up for too long. I think this looks great, and was one of the main things I was going by when making and submitting yesterday. Unlike Resistance Rey (the standards of which need slight updating now) this costume isn't as crazy detailed, thank goodness, and many people were able to get their hands on the screen accurate fabric before it ran out, so I think we will see a flood of submissions come in, and waiting on a standard too long to get approved would be frustating for them, you know. I agree, what was done with Luke worked great!

BTW, how do we go about proposing changes to a standard? I would like to submit changes for Resistance soon.

So, part of having the approved standard is to be helpful to those currently making a costume? I wasn't thinking of it that way. I guess part of my confusion was why we had to rush approval of a standard if people were being approved without one anyway.
jcrab3t ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I'm outnumbered in my thoughts here. And that's fine as majority rules. Do note though, that of the three Hero Rey's approved, there are major differences among the boots, and the tunic material. And there lies the problem with such loose standards.
Legion Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcrab3t wrote:
It seems I'm outnumbered in my thoughts here. And that's fine as majority rules. Do note though, that of the three Hero Rey's approved, there are major differences among the boots, and the tunic material. And there lies the problem with such loose standards.

I think we need to allow for differences in the tunic material especially because this fabric is very specific and the proper fabric has sold out. I feel at times, we as a legion, are too strict on our standards and it makes it difficult for people to achieve the costumes. It can be extremely challenging to find proper footwear and fabrics especially if standards are too strict.

When I look at each of the approved Rey's, the costumes look really good and they will be perceived as such by the public. The overall feel and quality of the costume is there, even if there are some differences between the boots and tunic material.

A good example of variation of boots is with ANH Leia, if we look at all the boots people have gotten approved with, a lot of them are not very close to what was worn in the film and there is a ton of variation. However, the boots people use, provide that "good enough" look and they feel right with the costume. Getting screen accurate boots can be very challenging and costly.

Also remember standards do not need to dictate everything a judge is looking for, it is merely a starting point. However, when possible standards can be written in a way to allow for flexibility while giving information to people who want to be super accurate but not requiring everyone to achieve the high level of accuracy.
ObiWanCassie (Cassie)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I do believe this is the material that was ID'ed as Screen Accurate

The tabards is what you are talking about, right?

We also found the tunic fabric that is believed to be screen accurate, here is the link to the brown tunic fabric

Fabric

Last edited by ObiWanCassie (Cassie) on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
riathewolf (Alexandra Wolsiefer)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was starting to work on my mock up for this costume today and was confused on one point so maybe you guys can help me. The back panels on the tunic, do they overlap or not? On the toy it looks like they don't but the again on the toy the front panels don't either. So I looked to the approved girls and half of them didn't overlap the panels and half did. Which is correct? Or does it not matter for approval?
jcrab3t ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would like to know the answer for this as well. Obviously a major issue if they are not uniform (especially for a face character).
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I wasn't attempting to cause an issue. I just wanted to know which path is best (or if both are acceptable) before cutting into that precious sold out fabric lol.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have some references, but not a whole lot to go by, so it's rather hard to say. Right now there's a lot of 'best guess' going on. After the movie comes out we will hopefully get more detailed information, but currently you have to make guesses.
I'd suggest trying both approaches with some cheap fabric and see what they look like.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
jcrab3t ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
We have some references, but not a whole lot to go by, so it's rather hard to say. Right now there's a lot of 'best guess' going on. After the movie comes out we will hopefully get more detailed information, but currently you have to make guesses.
I'd suggest trying both approaches with some cheap fabric and see what they look like.

WOW! Now we're making "guesses" on a major face character? This is why no one should have been approved!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:

Thank you. I will do that.
ladysolo14 ()

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to mocking up the belt. I think Dawn's measurements were spot on. 4 inches seemed just a touch too wide. Here's the mock of my belt using the measurements provided by Dawn.

JediJainaSolo (Sarah Townsend)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great!!!

Scavenger, Princess, Senator and Sword of the Jedi
https://www.instagram.com/owl_feathers/
https://www.facebook.com/OwlFeathersArts/
Oraculo (Agustín)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladysolo14 wrote:
I finally got around to mocking up the belt. I think Dawn's measurements were spot on. 4 inches seemed just a touch too wide. Here's the mock of my belt using the measurements provided by Dawn.

Looks great!!!!

Yours!
•Detachment CO - KJO 2016 - 17
•Award: Rebel of the Year 2016
•Detachment CO - KJO 2015 - 16
•TCO Templo Pucará 2015-16
•Detachment CO - KJO 2014-15
•Detachment XO - KJO 2014-15
•RO Cruz del Sur Base 2013 -14
AmongstTheJedi ()

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!! I'm working on this costume as well. The screen accurate fabric in the appropriate color has been sold out. But they sell another version of it in white.

https://www.moodfabrics.com/light-brac-surface-embroidered-diamond-cotton-woven

Would this work if it was dyed properly? I've New we dyed fabric, but my grandmother is a seamstress and can do it.[/img]
UnbreakableRey (Kate)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple questions about this costume, since I'm starting to gather the materials necessary for it. What boots do you recommend getting as the base for the boots for the costume? I've been looking for cheap brown boots but nothing so far has worked.

When will we be allowed to start trooping with this costume too? Just at the Last Jedi premiere and afterwards, or can we start using it before?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: