Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4fb29b6597b7f6d018bcfdb7df61be64Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Generic Armored Jedi Leather gauntlets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennyruth ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Generic Armored Jedi Leather gauntlets? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information regarding examples of what leather gauntlets for armored Jedi (Clone Wars) are approvable? Is there a general consensus for what these could/should look like?
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, that line in the standards refers specifically to this vendor(?)
http://civilizedgalacticgear.com/Acessories_and_Other.html

there are lots of things in the standards, which are not supported by references.

lately, the judges have been asking for references, regardless of the wording of the standards.

(a recent thread about "single tabbard below the waist" comes to mind -- this is specifically listed in the standards* -- but the judges won't accept it anymore without photo references, which simply don't exist).

most likely, the judges will ask you to provide references for the leather gauntlets you want to wear.
(showing examples from the Legends Universe).

and most likely, these examples don't exist.
(so it's kind of low-key "off the table", just like "single tabbard below the waist" LOL)

* you can read the exchange with the costume judge here
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75075&start=8

Last edited by Cobalt-60 () on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
jennyruth ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
IIRC, that line in the standards refers specifically to this vendor(?)
http://civilizedgalacticgear.com/Acessories_and_Other.html

there are lots of things in the standards, which are not supported by references.

lately, the judges have been asking for references, regardless of the wording of the standards.

(a recent thread about "single tabbard below the waist" comes to mind -- this is specifically listed in the standards -- but the judges won't accept it anymore without photo references, which simply don't exist).

most likely, the judges will ask you to provide references for the leather gauntlets you want to wear.
(showing examples from the Legends Universe).

and most likely, these examples don't exist.
(so it's kind of low-key "off the table", just like "single tabbard below the waist" LOL)

you can read the exchange with the costume judge here
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75075&start=8

Thank you! Much appreciated! And also very frustrating because if they aren't allowed, then don't put it in the standards.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the frustration, but it's probably better this way LOL Razz

in the past, the judges felt "bound by the written word" (so to speak),
and due to the sheer ambiguity of language,
they found themselves allowing all kinds of stuff which wasn't really intended.

for example, with respect to color, early versions of the standard just said "earth tones" -- to you & I, this could mean "browns and greens"(?)

but a case was made to include "anything which comes from the earth" -- including ruby, amethyst, opal, and yes, even flowers such as "lilac" -- it became absurd.

by requiring applicants to show references for the "type" of accessory they want to create , this keeps things grounded in the SW universe.

the judges have adopted a policy of "references > standards" which is probably a good thing, in the long run Wink

cheers!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
I understand the frustration, but it's probably better this way LOL Razz

in the past, the judges felt "bound by the written word" (so to speak),
and due to the sheer ambiguity of language,
they found themselves allowing all kinds of stuff which wasn't really intended.

for example, with respect to color, early versions of the standard just said "earth tones" -- to you & I, this could mean "browns and greens"(?)

but a case was made to include "anything which comes from the earth" -- including ruby, amethyst, opal, and yes, even flowers such as "lilac" -- it became absurd.

by requiring applicants to show references for the "type" of accessory they want to create , this keeps things grounded in the SW universe.

the judges have adopted a policy of "references > standards" which is probably a good thing, in the long run Wink

Agreed! And I don't mind the limitations at all. But, don't put the color boxes with lilac or tabards with a single front in the standards Smile Personally, I'd be ok with more strict guidelines that I KNOW will get approved and a line ("anything deviating will require references"). Anyway, I really appreciate that heads up.

cheers!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not like the lcjs don't want to clear up the ambigious standards, but you have no idea how hard it is to change a standard until you follow one all the way. Rolling Eyes
And some standards people will fight you tooth and nail to keep them from changing, even if they are a mess.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
jennyruth ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Well, it's not like the lcjs don't want to clear up the ambigious standards, but you have no idea how hard it is to change a standard until you follow one all the way. Rolling Eyes
And some standards people will fight you tooth and nail to keep them from changing, even if they are a mess.

You're right--I don't know. I get that. And I'm for sure not throwing blame or spitting fire at anyone. However, as are, the standards aren't ambiguous as much as they are misleading, if people can't be approved from following them, and that will discourage a lot of new builders (like myself) if they don't know which parts are approvable and which aren't.
jennyruth ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:

Lora, as a judge, do you mind me asking how sleeveless OTs go in the approval process? The standards list that a sleeveless OT is permitted, provided that it has a long sleeve IT. Is that right? Or is this another one of those things that is not really approveable? I'm genuinely asking because I want to make sure that I don't start a build that isn't correct. I sincerely want to make one that is right and doesn't cause problems Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you can have a sleeveless OT if you have a long IT. Smile This one gets approved fairly often as people from warmer areas often don't want two layers of sleeves.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
jennyruth ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Yep, you can have a sleeveless OT if you have a long IT. Smile This one gets approved fairly often as people from warmer areas often don't want two layers of sleeves.

Thank you! The heat is exactly why I was wondering! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: