Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1ac50297f013ed5b87c0b12cae9f6983Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Cloud City Gown WIP
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Cloud City Gown WIP Reply with quote

OK so this dress is on my bucket list. With Christmas coming up I thought I could ask my family for the supplies as a gift, but first I need to make sure what I'm asking for is correct. I'm basing my picks off of the yet to be published new Cloud City standards found here

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86327&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Also I will need to get samples to ensure the color is correct before ordering the bulk of the fabric

For the tunic/pants/cape lining I found these

This one is a bit shiny so i would either wash it to dull it or use the duller reverse side. I like it because its heavier than crepe de chine
https://www.etsy.com/listing/219465081/45-wide-100-silk-charmeuse-rust-by-the?ref=

This might be too red
https://www.etsy.com/listing/230123331/45-wide-100-silk-crepe-de-chine-red-by?ref=

This might be too brown
https://www.etsy.com/listing/227808917/45-wide-100-silk-crepe-de-chine-rust-by

This might be too purple
https://www.etsy.com/listing/227712415/45-wide-100-silk-crepe-de-chine-dark-red

This for the cape/ collar

This might be too warm toned
https://www.etsy.com/listing/529443570/bty-off-white-silk-crepe-de-chine-fabric?ref=

Shoes

Needs to be dyed and bow removed
https://www.etsy.com/listing/293117307/diy-bridal-flats-dyeable-ballet-slippers?ref=

Trim

In copper
http://www.kreinik.com/shops/Heavy-32-Braid-5m.html

Last edited by Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers () on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
plushie (Shana Rich)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shoes should work just fine and that Kreinik braid is what I used and it shows up nicely. I did have to stitch two rows up into the collar for it to show up.

As to the colors of silk, it's a difficult color to pin down due to lighting and photographs. Mine turns out more maroon in photos, and I kinda wish I had gotten closer to a rust tone. This is probably going to wind up being a personal preference so long as your colors match up with the CRL description.

Alpha 75 - "No Instructions? No problem!"
FISD - First Order
501st Pathfinder
Rebel Legion - Galactic Senate, RLSC
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone used the spoonflower embroidery design? I intend to do the embroidery by hand but the markings might be a huge help, however I'm kinda short ('5 "1) so the proportions might be off.

The whole point is to teach myself embroidery. I'm not sure I even know where to start if I draw out the design myself, not that I don't mind the challenge, that's what brought me to the Rebel Legion in the first place.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's honestly something I'm interested in trying for myself. I think the biggest question is whether the pattern size works on you. I'd be interested to hear how tall people are that it has worked for before.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper

Galactic Senate DCO
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a bit more digging, after all I'm in research mode

From this picture

It appears the pattern tip starts at about mid-breast. So I measured from that point to my ankles (standards state that's how lone the cloak should be) I came up with 42 inches. As it turns out the "petite princess" version is 42 inches tip to bottom. The only thing is that version is not the embroidery one. So I ordered a swatch to see of I can embroider it without it looking weird, it's a good test peice to practice with.

Another reference picture

From the back
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK if I can get my head around not using silk, which my heart was set on. I found a poly crepe de chine, same material spoonflower uses, if I go that route. Also its only $3.99 a yard! Lots of options....love it!

plushie (Shana Rich)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers wrote:
OK if I can get my head around not using silk, which my heart was set on. I found a poly crepe de chine, same material spoonflower uses, if I go that route. Also its only $3.99 a yard! Lots of options....love it!

Oooh that's a beautiful color! It should also be a lot easier to care for and not be on constant alert for anything during a troop that may damage the fabric. (In ANH Leia, I'm in constant fear of sticky fingers, and anything else that may stain the fabric.)

Maybe start with the poly then upgrade later? I used a poly georgette fabric that I love the color and feel of, but when I remake my pants, tunic and belt, I want to go with silk as well.

FISD - First Order
501st Pathfinder
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The charmeuse in your first link does look lovely. Smile So does the poly stuff.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plushie wrote:

Oooh that's a beautiful color! It should also be a lot easier to care for and not be on constant alert for anything during a troop that may damage the fabric. (In ANH Leia, I'm in constant fear of sticky fingers, and anything else that may stain the fabric.)

Maybe start with the poly then upgrade later? I used a poly georgette fabric that I love the color and feel of, but when I remake my pants, tunic and belt, I want to go with silk as well.

Slight derailment of topic.....
My first ANH Leia troop (and first ever!) Was this past weekend at the Tellus Museum. I was actually kinda worried about kids coming up and giving me hugs with sticky fingers, but it's for the kids. So my role that night was to stand next to "Luke" and sign autographs and take pictures. About halfway through the event "Luke"turns to me with this look Shocked he goes "oopsy....so I have been kinda accidentally writing on your dress....sorry" Nothing a bit of bleach can't take care of, it's a white dress after all, and it was just a few light thin pen strokes.

Anyway, my amazing, wonderful, supportive husband bought me the white ballet flats and a yard of the red poly crepe de chine fabric!! If the red fabric works I can use it for the belt, waste not want not!
plushie (Shana Rich)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers wrote:

Slight derailment of topic.....
My first ANH Leia troop (and first ever!) Was this past weekend at the Tellus Museum. I was actually kinda worried about kids coming up and giving me hugs with sticky fingers, but it's for the kids. So my role that night was to stand next to "Luke" and sign autographs and take pictures. About halfway through the event "Luke"turns to me with this look Shocked he goes "oopsy....so I have been kinda accidentally writing on your dress....sorry" Nothing a bit of bleach can't take care of, it's a white dress after all, and it was just a few light thin pen strokes.

Anyway, my amazing, wonderful, supportive husband bought me the white ballet flats and a yard of the red poly crepe de chine fabric!! If the red fabric works I can use it for the belt, waste not want not!

And that's why I tend to go with synthetics for heavily trooped in costumes! Easy to clean! (And multiple ANH dresses.)

and huzzah for the shoes and the red fabric!!

FISD - First Order
501st Pathfinder
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Love this costume

Rebel Legion Costume Judge: Royalty/Senatorial, Alliance Officers (06/2017-present)
Executive Officer, Alderaan Base (2017-2018)
Membership Officer, Alderaan Base (05/2016-10/2017)

In Progress:Loyalist Senate Gown Padme, Mustafar Padme

Photos by Robbins Studios
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so research is all about finding what will and what will not work.....spoonflower may not work for me. I am such a stickler for the details, and having really really looked at the embroidery on the original dress I see a big difference .....

Spoonflower petite pattern.....42 inches ( the size I need)

Notice the pink filled in petals on the big flowers. I believe this is ment to simulate the shadow stitching found in this picture.....

OK so that leaves the one size "embroidery pattern" which is too big at 46 inches.

While this is exactly what I need it's too big. So in the end I'm going to need to draw out the design, transfer it and then embroider it. What I think I might do is deliberately do things the hard way, after all the reason I love costuming is so I can learn new things. I think I'm going to buy white Crepe de chine silk and do the dying and whatnot myself.
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well if I was not sold on dying my own silk I am now. I received the yard of poly crepe de chine in "rust" while I like the color in general it's more tomatoe than Rust. Let me know if it's just me on this one....
Sunlit

Flash shade

No flash shade (where did pink come from?)

Dress reminder
plushie (Shana Rich)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaah lighting and color. Such a fickle combo!

FISD - First Order
501st Pathfinder
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pink... Shocked And I agree about your tomato comment on the sunlight one. *sigh* It looked so good on the website... (Hence why I'm a big fan of ordering swatches before buying).

Since you are going to be dyeing yourself, from my own adventures in learning this, I can recommend doing a lot of basic dye swatches first, then make some mixes and note down what you do for all of it.
Don't buy Jungle Red; it's too cold and blue tinted red.
Pagoda Red could be good mixed with Tobacco (?) or something similar. The Pagoda Red is very warm and have a coppery tint to it. (I'm talking Dharma Trading colors here. Fiber Reactive).

And of course! Learning new things is part of the fun. Very Happy

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: