Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e0a7676e96ab127e5664d549cea3f488Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Plumed senate guards (hopefully)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Senate Guards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Plumed senate guards (hopefully) Reply with quote

I'm starting work on starting a senate guard group in my country, so I'd like to know how much velvet you used for making the cloak. Smile

I've seen some lovely blue velvet in a local shop that they don't normally carry so I want to get it while I can. (But first I need to know who's committed to making the guards and how much to buy).

So help?

Also, where can we get the plumed version of the helmet? We all agree we prefer that version and hopefully we can get a serious squad of guards.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have more questions.

What type of fabric did you use for lining the cloak and for pants and shirt? I'm looking at blue options for matching the cloak fabric to see what we can do.

Also do any of you have a pattern you can share? I'd like to see how you did your cloak. Pics of the real thing is also encouraged. Smile

General advise and notes are also welcome!

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I have just over 33 meters of blue velvet in my room. Should be enough for at least ten guards. Smile And one of the guards bought his own fabric after getting the item number for it, so even if all the currently uncertain people opt in, I should still have enough for one extra person to join down the line.

Now I'm trying to color match with my pile of swatches.

Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Well... I have just over 33 meters of blue velvet in my room. Should be enough for at least ten guards. Smile And one of the guards bought his own fabric after getting the item number for it, so even if all the currently uncertain people opt in, I should still have enough for one extra person to join down the line.

Ah great ! Hopefully we can do something beautiful with so many guards Very Happy
Is everybody willing to do the ep1 version ?
ionicdesign (Michael)
Takodana Base CO
Takodana Base CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. I hope they turn out great.

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011–2013 • LCJ • Assistant Rebel Legion Webmaster
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
Lora Skywalker wrote:

Ah great ! Hopefully we can do something beautiful with so many guards Very Happy

I think I have them convinced, yes. But I won't force everybody to do episode I if they'd rather have an episode III. Razz It would, however, look amazing with that many plumed senate guards. Cool

Any of you have thoughts regarding type of fabrics for shirt/pants and lining the cloak? I'm thinking standard satin lining, but I'm not quite sure what to do with the shirt and pants. My best color swatch seems to be the cheap (and thin) cotton, but I'm not sure if it'll look okay. Or maybe I'm just too critical and gotten used to using the expensive stuff. XD
The plus side to the cheap stuff is that, besides being cheap, it's easy to acquire. It's so thin it'll need to be lined, too, but maybe it could just be self-lined/flat-lined with the same stuff.

Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Ritin Kornas wrote:
Lora Skywalker wrote:

I think I have them convinced, yes. But I won't force everybody to do episode I if they'd rather have an episode III. Razz It would, however, look amazing with that many plumed senate guards. Cool

Any of you have thoughts regarding type of fabrics for shirt/pants and lining the cloak? I'm thinking standard satin lining, but I'm not quite sure what to do with the shirt and pants. My best color swatch seems to be the cheap (and thin) cotton, but I'm not sure if it'll look okay. Or maybe I'm just too critical and gotten used to using the expensive stuff. XD
The plus side to the cheap stuff is that, besides being cheap, it's easy to acquire. It's so thin it'll need to be lined, too, but maybe it could just be self-lined/flat-lined with the same stuff.

I would definitely not use satin for the shirt and pants. More suede or basic cotton. Doesn't mean you have to take a thin and cheap one if you like to pay more Razz
ionicdesign (Michael)
Takodana Base CO
Takodana Base CO

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, I'd match colours but keep the under layers as light and breathable as possible it can get hot in these.

Last edited by ionicdesign (Michael) on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Razz I'll try to keep in mind that satin is not a good choice for the shirt and pants. Rolling Eyes

But aside from the cheap, thin cotton I just got a couple of new samples with quite nice colors. The satin sample (for the cloak) is probably the best I'm likely to find and I got a close match in a jersey type fabric. But it's pretty stretchy... so I'm not convinced that type will work. I'm afraid it will simply have the wrong look for this costume. Too soft and stretchy.

Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Right. Razz I'll try to keep in mind that satin is not a good choice for the shirt and pants. Rolling Eyes

But aside from the cheap, thin cotton I just got a couple of new samples with quite nice colors. The satin sample (for the cloak) is probably the best I'm likely to find and I got a close match in a jersey type fabric. But it's pretty stretchy... so I'm not convinced that type will work. I'm afraid it will simply have the wrong look for this costume. Too soft and stretchy.

Stretchy and thus annoying to sew also Razz
Why I don't think satin would be nice is more because it would be too shiny I think Wink
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too shiny. I'm still leaning towards twill or similar, but not finding anything in the right color. So it looks like I may be getting into another dye project. But I won't worry about that until next week. Rolling Eyes

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... I have a lot of fabric behind my door now. That is the space I have designated for the senate guard fabric. Razz

Most of my 69-70 meters of fabric are stored behind the door, with the exception of smaller pieces currently in bags. Eventually I plan to roll them unto the rolls behind the door.

The fabric is only for the cloak so far. Should have enough for 10-11 senate guards, and I'm really liking the look of the washed satin we ended up deciding upon for the lining. Smile Not as shiny as your regular satin, but still with that smooth look you see in TPM.

So far, still no fabric for shirt and pants. Found some really nice wollen garbadine in the store, but not in the right color, so that is still to come. At any rate I don't have space for storing another 60 meters of fabrics... Rolling Eyes

I'm guessing we will soon need to plan a work weekend to make the cloaks.

ionicdesign (Michael)
Takodana Base CO
Takodana Base CO

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great, love to see photos of them being made. I hope all goes well.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to carefully document the process when we get that far. Smile

Darkwar (Andre Bezemer)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought about 8 meters of velvet, but still had a bit left over, for the liner I used a cotton fabric, I first went with the satin type fabric, but when I photographed it, it was way to glossy, so the cotton it was, it was also a nightmare to sew Satin and velvet, it kept shifting and slipping, it ended up with steps and the velvet was scrunching up, I had to recut a new piece if velvet and started again, lucky I had more than I needed.
I used the same colour as the coverall and the liner.

Ahsoka Tano

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Senate Guards All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: