Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3b16c6e3d447a8f7ad421ec4971157e7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Endor Rebel donut helmet build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OddViking (Colin Adams)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Endor Rebel donut helmet build Reply with quote

I finally just finished my Endor Rebel helmet, and I took some pics of my process along the way. Here is a partial list of parts:

Soft cap:

x-large AN-H-15 flight helmet (from eBay)
Fabric to match (had to tint with some watered down yellow Rit dye to match)
twill bias tape - luckily comes in that color
used baseball cap from thrift shop
cotton batting (one layer that looks like a felt blanket)
cotton batting (one layer that looks more fluffy)
brown leather scrap
open cell foam

Donut:
XL Donut shell made by DroidWelder (with dents added by him)
Spray paints
clear plastic corner guards for drywall
epoxy
Vinyl Commando Donut Insignia (from http://www.tk560.com/catalog.html )
some black and brown acrylic paint
French's mustard

Reference:

I wanted to match the screen helmets, with the dings and chipped paint.

Soft Cap:

I didn't take as many process shots here. Even though the cap was an XL, I still had to open the seam and add a gusset. The twill bias tape helped a lot here. I made the ribbing on top by layering a firmer felted-type batting, with softer on top between two layers of BIAS-CUT fabric (meaning cut the rectangle at a 45 degree angle out of your fabric so the fabric with stretch better into the dome over your head), and then just machine sewed it. I alternated 3/8" and 1/2" lines, by drawing them on first with a fabric chalk line tool. Bias tape to edge it, then wetted it and pinned it in place and wore it to help shape it rounder. Then hand-sewed it on top, right to the edge on front and back, about 1 inch in on the sides to look right. Added leather corners, and then painted the whiter edges of the leather with acrylic to match the brown sides. This makes it look more worn in. Used gray open cell foam (dry-brushed black) to fill the ear holes.

Bill:

My AN-H-15 cap didn't even have the smaller bill that some do, but in any case, I attached the bill to the donut like the movie props appear to do. More on how I did this further down. I just bought a baseball cap from a thrift store, and covered it, but after trying with the donut, it stuck out way too far. The bills in the movie are much shorter. Pics above show where I opened it up and cut it down about an inch to look closer to the movie ones. A light coat of rubber cement inside helped anchor the fabric cover to the bill before I sewed it in place.

Fitting the Donut:

Before my donut came in the mail, I knew I would need to determine the size of the lower hole to make it level. I took wire and wrapped it and bent it around the cap at a level line to get the shape. DroidWelder's cut was close, so it was just minor exacto knife work to get it perfect. This took a few tries until it set perfect.

Scratches:

DroidWelder (on these forums) added some minor dents for me, but I wanted more of a rugged look, so I added many minor scratches and notches with tiny files and a scratching tool. Sanded the edges so that it wouldn't scrape the ear cups or fabric too much. This will also help it look like worn steel to have rounder edges.

...Continued below.

Last edited by OddViking (Colin Adams) on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
OddViking (Colin Adams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attaching the bill:

I have read that some people use hot glue and other things, but I wanted a more sturdy method. I came up with using a piece of clear drywall edger to make a mount to sew the cap to. Measure the length of the curve, cut the piece. notched every 3/4" or so so it will curve. Use a torch to heat a small finishing nail, and melt holes big enough to run a needle and thread through.

Glue with epoxy, and clamp if needed (I ended up using more clamps than shown to get it perfect). After painting the donut, you can use a curved needle to sew the bill on in two lines (lower and upper edge of the "band") and it will stay put, and feel comfortable on your brow.

Painting process:

Primer, then silver paint, then use French's Mustard to mark any spot where you want to have paint chip back to silver. This will be on every edge, scratch, and ding. Let the silver paint dry fully for a day before painting on Mustard with a small brush. Let mustard dry a while. Paint Italian Olive paint, and then wait a day for that to cure too (not tacky at all to the touch).

The mustard keeps the paint from adhering, and running it under water and lightly scraping with a butter knife or similar object with let it pop right off. You can usually see your mustard marks as you go.

After this, I added the decal, and ten did a few minor touches of black/brown mixed acrylic to add scorch marks and dirt around things like dents and the decal. Brush it on quick, and then wipe it away with a damp paper towel.

Finished!

JohnMorog ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice the ribbing looks spot on!
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice paint job ! Smile
OddViking (Colin Adams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I replaced my donut with a different one that seems more accurate to me, you can see the build thread and review of it here: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95234
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: